Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
pderekh

Default blurry

where is the blurriness?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=745290&key=0
pderekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
cblaz

Not really blurry, so much as soft. Needs a shot of Unsharp Mask. Also could use some better cropping as the signs on either side are cut off awkwardly.

- Chris
Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Not sure if I agree with you Chris. I see some blur near the nose. The image suffers from some poor image quality (or shadows abuse).

The cropping does need to be improved as does the color.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And before Jim sounds off, it needs to be rotated CW somewhat. I kinda agre with what both Chris and Chase sid, even though they kinda contradicted each other. It does look a bit soft and maybe there's some bad image quality too. The cropping is off as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the shot other than that. I don't know if the composition is weak or strong. If you had caught some motion blue of the train, you'd probably have a winner. Otherwise, it's significant foreground clutter.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And before Jim sounds off, it needs to be rotated CW somewhat. I kinda agre with what both Chris and Chase sid, even though they kinda contradicted each other. It does look a bit soft and maybe there's some bad image quality too. The cropping is off as well. I'm not sure how I feel about the shot other than that. I don't know if the composition is weak or strong. If you had caught some motion blue of the train, you'd probably have a winner. Otherwise, it's significant foreground clutter.
I think the composition is weak, or could be made stronger. The post on the left is foreground clutter to me. I would consider turning your body a bit to the right, so you are not aiming the camera directly at the engine. Then, you miss the post, capture some or all of the wheelchair lift, but bring it the station wall and get a better view of its signage.

On the other hand, the bike rack and its shadow are nice. The ceiling is rather dull and a different composition might minimize that also. But I think my main theme is that you are using the station as a form of foreground obstruction and you need to capture it in a more interesting way.

Also, personal taste I suppose, but if you are going to frame on three sides you really ought to do some perspective control and get all your verticals vertical.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote