Old 11-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #376
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I swear to god we've seen this EXACT SAME shot before. Different photographer?

Image © Giannis Magalios
PhotoID: 639463
Photograph © Giannis Magalios

EDIT:

We have, different dude...
Image © Marcos Maté
PhotoID: 361947
Photograph © Marcos Maté
They're both good images. The second one from 2017 is better executed in terms of color and composition. You have a good memory! I think 5 years is enough time for someone to try the shot again...and shoot it better than the original in my opinion.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #377
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
As with most things, it's easy if you already know what you're doing....looks like its leaning a bit to the right now instead of left but that's just me.
It looks like it's leaning because of the piece of furniture on the right. Go ahead and check the verticals by moving the browser window of the edge of your screen. And even if mine isn't perfect (which wasn't the point), it would be if I had the original file to work with.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #378
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I recently saw a drone shot here on RP that showed me little more than the tops of the cars and the locomotives. The countryside was pretty, but as a train shot, it was not very interesting.
Come on, you can post the pic. Don't be shy.

Wait, I'll do it for you...

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 639281
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe

Quote:
Also not sure why the issue with long shadows from morning/evening light...
Don't sweat it. I dig the shadows in your shot.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 11-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #379
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
They're both good images. The second one from 2017 is better executed in terms of color and composition. You have a good memory! I think 5 years is enough time for someone to try the shot again...and shoot it better than the original in my opinion.
Oversized, distracting, poke-in-the-eyes watermarks are not allowed on RP...except of course for their own oversized, distracting, poke-in-the-eyes watermark.

Image © Giannis Magalios

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-30-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: addition
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #380
RobJor

Quote:
I looked online, as the original photographer noted, a common scene, very well known as a symbol of Bordeaux. The second decided to interpret the scene almost identically. An art type scene with the RP's on the top black sky in big white letters gets it two thumbs down from me, the smaller copyright on the bottom is enough. What I saw online, I liked the Blue Hour versions. It is interesting reading about the reflecting pool set with granite slabs

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #381
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Oversized, distracting, poke-in-the-eyes watermarks are not allowed on RP...except of course for their own oversized, distracting, poke-in-the-eyes watermark.

Image © Giannis Magalios
And from a theft standpoint, about 30 seconds in photoshop will make it go bye-bye

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #382
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
I looked online, as the original photographer noted, a common scene, very well known as a symbol of Bordeaux. The second decided to interpret the scene almost identically.
Almost identically, but not quite. The newer one is much better than the first, not only in color, exposure, and processing, but also in composition/framing. However, I can't quite figure out what's going on with those angled lines leading into the scene. Both photographers look pretty centered to the middle structure, yet in the first image those angled lines are way out of line. In the newer image they are quite symmetrical. And that is one element of the image that really stands out to me the most as being "better."

Old 11-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #383
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
And from a theft standpoint, about 30 seconds in photoshop will make it go bye-bye

Loyd L.
30 seconds? You're slippin', man! Try about 5 seconds once you get the image opened in photoshop.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #384
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Almost identically, but not quite. The newer one is much better than the first, not only in color, exposure, and processing, but also in composition/framing. However, I can't quite figure out what's going on with those angled lines leading into the scene. Both photographers look pretty centered to the middle structure, yet in the first image those angled lines are way out of line. In the newer image they are quite symmetrical. And that is one element of the image that really stands out to me the most as being "better."

The angled lines I think are from the slate slabs forming the reflecting pool. It is fed in a cycle with a fine mist and is only a few inches deep. Miroir d'eau (Water Mirror). The original is a little off center to the left.

There is another version -
Image © Roberto V. Sousa
PhotoID: 389589
Photograph © Roberto V. Sousa

Bob
Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #385
bigbassloyd

Quote:
30 seconds? You're slippin', man! Try about 5 seconds once you get the image opened in photoshop.
I'm trying to accommodate those whose photoshop skills are not up to the level of the masters.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:02 PM   #386
Joseph Cermak

It's a nice composition but this looks unlevel and really soft from a lot of noise reduction

Image © Justin Winiarz
PhotoID: 639487
Photograph © Justin Winiarz
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #387
bigbassloyd

Quote:
It's a nice composition but this looks unlevel and really soft from a lot of noise reduction

Image © Justin Winiarz
He was pushing the limits of the 6d, and was still underexposed.

Loyd L.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #388
RobJor

Quote:

Image © Justin Winiarz
Dark and soft, but has an interesting affect, gloomy with the looming building almost like a Dracula Movie promo so OK to me in that context. Little picky but seems he could have cropped off the left and bottom, don't need to see the exit ramp?

The Holiday train thing is a little problematic for me. The whole concept of the train at night is the lights so when I see photo with bright flashes I think that is really counter intuitive. Tricky to have some lighting but not overwhelm the train.

Bob
Old 11-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #389
KevinM

Quote:
He was pushing the limits of the 6d, and was still underexposed.

Loyd L.
Looks like it was shot at 1/100th at f/5 and ISO 20,000. The ISO used here was really extreme. Faster glass might have given the photographer some needed latitude to decrease the ISO and increase the shutter speed. These would have done wonders to decrease the "fuzz factor" here. A 24mm f/1.8 is a great little lens for night shots.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #390
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Looks like it was shot at 1/100th at f/5 and ISO 20,000. The ISO used here was really extreme. Faster glass might have given the photographer some needed latitude to decrease the ISO and increase the shutter speed. These would have done wonders to decrease the "fuzz factor" here. A 24mm f/1.8 is a great little lens for night shots.
Faster glass would have allowed a proper exposure at the current settings, which would have allowed less photoshop work perhaps.

Loyd L.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:28 PM   #391
JimThias

Quote:
I'm trying to accommodate those whose photoshop skills are not up to the level of the masters.

Loyd L.
Content Aware makes me a "master"?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #392
JimThias

Quote:

Image © Justin Winiarz
I don't mind the dark so much, but it looks really muddy. No pop at all!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 PM   #393
Noct Foamer

I suspect any softness came from the shutter speed, especially if relying on VR (IS) instead of a tripod. Really can't beat a tripod.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #394
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Content Aware makes me a "master"?
I do not like content aware for most applications. My apologies for giving credit where it wasn't warranted.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 12-01-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:05 PM   #395
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
I suspect any softness came from the shutter speed, especially if relying on VR (IS) instead of a tripod. Really can't beat a tripod.

Kent in SD
If he had a nervous tick in a windstorm perhaps. 1/100th at 24mm FF is quite usable. Since I have years of experience with the 6d (and the 24-105 I bet he's using), I believe the softness stems from 20k iso with a 6d and using the short end of that lens at a wider aperture, coupled with an underexposed image that was brightened with noise reduction applied during processing.

It should also bear mentioning that if he's using a newer model 6d, it's performance at higher iso is worse than the original 6d.

While I can pull of 8x10" print quality with the 6d @ 12.8k iso, it goes downhill quick the higher you push the iso.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 12-01-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #396
chris crook

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I swear to god we've seen this EXACT SAME shot before. Different photographer?

Image © Giannis Magalios

EDIT:

We have, different dude...
Image © Marcos Maté
PhotoID: 361947
Photograph © Marcos Maté

Not to be contrarian, but couldn't you say that about tens of thousands of photos on this site?

Flickr: Armco_block
chris crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #397
amtrak07t

Looks like it got a POTW.

RP has been loving the huge watermarks lately.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #398
JimThias

Quote:
And it's certainly deserving of it. Should have had a Screener's Choice as well.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #399
KevinM

Quote:

RP has been loving the huge watermarks lately.
In the PoTW position on the home page, this watermark is like a giant, aerial billboard for the site. The only thing missing is the Goodyear Blimp carrying that "sign". Seriously, it's a gorgeous image, but I personally would have used a much more subtle watermark and in a less obtrusive place. That watermark detracts immeasurably from the beauty of the photo.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #400
bigbassloyd

It would almost be worth photoshopping the watermark out, and emailing it to the photographer just to prove the fallacy that is watermarking.

Loyd L.