Old 01-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #576
JimThias

How hard is it to level an obviously unlevel image before you submit?

Image © Gary R. Schermerhorn
PhotoID: 644948
Photograph © Gary R. Schermerhorn

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #577
bigbassloyd

I've noticed that quite a few former film shooters don't really care about level because there wasn't any real fix back when they were shooting film. Doesn't excuse it nowadays though

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:20 PM   #578
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I've noticed that quite a few former film shooters don't really care about level because there wasn't any real fix back when they were shooting film. Doesn't excuse it nowadays though

Loyd L.
And I love the idea that I can now correct these deficiencies before showing them to the world. It does surprise me how many unlevel slides that I have. It also surprises me that I get a high amount of unlevel rejections of images that I have carefully leveled and adjusted for vertical distortion. Usually, I get them accepted on appeal. At the same time, blatantly unlevel images like the one that Jim posted constantly get accepted.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #579
ShortlinesUSA

Probably a product of photos getting a single-digit number's worth of seconds in review. One or two screeners faced with a big queue of photos, many of them with far more flaws than Gary's street scene. So you are likely getting a "snap decision" that many of this forum's members could pick apart.

For example, when I first saw Gary's shot, I thought "Wow, nice winter scene. Wish I could have been there." But now that y'all mention it, hell yeah, it's leaning right big time.

I don't see any cure for the screening inconsistencies other than screening by committee, where they all had to sit down and go through the queue together. As any of us who work in situations where committee decisions are the rule of the day would know, that would drastically reduce the number of accepted photos, but the queue time would probably be several weeks to over a month. It would be like seeing that slide you sent to Dale Sanders show up in CTC Board 6 months later...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:11 AM   #580
JimThias

Quote:
Doesn't excuse it nowadays though
Right. <10 second fix in photoshop for a scene like that.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-30-2018, 06:01 AM   #581
amtrak07t

Is that seriously worth a PCA? Considering that it's not sharp at all (the focus seems off), I don't think I'd even bother submitting it.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:22 PM   #582
RAILROADFANdotCOM

Send a message via AIM to RAILROADFANdotCOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Is that seriously worth a PCA? Considering that it's not sharp at all (the focus seems off), I don't think I'd even bother submitting it.
Seemed not sharp to me as well, a bit blurry. Good job bringing this photo to our attention JT!
Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #583
amtrak07t

Image © Jonathon Russell
PhotoID: 646027
Photograph © Jonathon Russell

Is there an unwritten rule that every flash shot is automatically accepted? This isn't lit well (can't see anything past the first engine), the unit is centered, and it's rather underexposed.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #584
amtrak07t

Image © Greg Silverman
PhotoID: 645638
Photograph © Greg Silverman

Standards are going away...
Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #585
miningcamper1

Quote:
Image © Greg Silverman

Aha! Paying customer...

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #586
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Aha! Paying customer...
That's what I thought too. I always thought the "Elites" were held to the same standards as everyone else...looking at his portfolio...I am wrong
Old 01-31-2018, 01:09 AM   #587
JimThias

Poor contrast and color. And that crop... It makes no sense. Images straight out of the camera are 2:3, so why would the photographer make it taller and narrower?

2:3 would have worked perfectly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicagotrain.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	9564

Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #588
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Poor contrast and color. And that crop... It makes no sense. Images straight out of the camera are 2:3, so why would the photographer make it taller and narrower?

2:3 would have worked perfectly:

Attachment 9564
Copy of known composition, think trains or RR had a recent Metra version and there have been others.

Suppose cropped off side but hard to understand why he didn't crop some of the blown out station platform at the bottom. I usually try to maintain the original ratio.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #589
Joseph Cermak

Backlit nose anyone?
Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 646541
Photograph © Mike Danneman
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #590
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Backlit nose anyone?
Image © Mike Danneman
It certainly is. I would defend this one however because the composition as a whole is quite enjoyable. It's got the scenery and warm inviting lighting to make it appealing.

It's a good photo with a train in it, versus a photo of just a train (which would make the noise lighting a more prominent issue).

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-31-2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: because I'm from WV and suck with grammar and stuff
Old 01-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #591
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Image © Greg Silverman

I don't recall the exact list of specific rejections used here, but I could nail it for most of them.

Loyd L.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:47 PM   #592
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
It certainly is. I would defend this one however because the composition as a whole is quite enjoyable. It's got the scenery and warm inviting lighting to make it appealing.

It's a good photo with a train in it, versus a photo of just a train (which would make the noise lighting a more prominent issue).

Loyd L.
While I personally like the photo, by the "standards" of this website, the backlit nose is still pretty prominent. No offense to Mike, but this seems like another example of how the screening standards are changed based on who submits the image. I know I would never get this accepted even if it was nearly identical of a photo.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 PM   #593
KevinM

Quote:

Loyd L.
Great points and I think these are often lost on folks who are new to the site or those who are frustrated with rejections. There's a reason why the screeners are probably quick to click "Accept" when they see Mike's photos. Over the past several years, he's built a reputation for providing quality work that gives the viewer more than just a featureless train picture. Give the screener an image he thinks will grab the viewer's attention and you can forget about all but the most basic acceptance criteria.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #594
amtrak07t

Quote:
I don't recall the exact list of specific rejections used here, but I could nail it for most of them.

Loyd L.
I wonder if the screeners have a "check all boxes" ��

Last edited by amtrak07t; 01-31-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #595
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Backlit nose anyone?
Image © Mike Danneman
Slow down there boy before you start criticizing one of the most recognized modern day railroad photographers.

Yeah, nose light is lacking, and it looks a tad unlevel, but it's a pretty good photo. Runs circles around anything you have submitted.

This thread is to highlight garbage, of which this is not
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 PM   #596
Moffat Road

Quote:

Loyd L.
Iím not here to defend the criteria of the photo, as it is most certainly backlit. I also understand and donít expect that all of my photos will appeal to everyone and in all fairness, Iíd like to think that Mr. Cermak could certainly get a similar photo accepted on this site.

In analyzing this particular image, if there was light on the nose in this view, the background mountains would not be as dramatically lit by the late afternoon sun and the entire scene would not have the same textures.

Sometimes the overall light of the scene trumps light on the small portion of the image, like having ďproperĒ nose light. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.

Mike
Moffat Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #597
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moffat Road View Post
Iím not here to defend the criteria of the photo, as it is most certainly backlit. I also understand and donít expect that all of my photos will appeal to everyone and in all fairness, Iíd like to think that Mr. Cermak could certainly get a similar photo accepted on this site.

In analyzing this particular image, if there was light on the nose in this view, the background mountains would not be as dramatically lit by the late afternoon sun and the entire scene would not have the same textures.

Sometimes the overall light of the scene trumps light on the small portion of the image, like having ďproperĒ nose light. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken.

Mike
The site's obsession with having the nose lit is aggravating to me sometimes, like backlighting isn't a legitimate photographic decision
Old 02-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #598
RobJor

Lush colors and great light. Easy to accept.

I understand the nose rejection to some extent but the rejections I get for that are not really what I call back lit.
2 problems I see:
It can eliminate some nice angles and scenes leading to photographers repeating sun on the nose ones.

Contributors can shy way from posting these types after a few rejections. How good does it have to be to overcome. Joe like me may have gotten the rejection for backlit on photos we thought were pretty nice, do we really want to keep trying.

I today have a cloudy day Amtrak photo that happens to have the Talgo equipment move to CO. Is that good enough to get accepted. Last rejection I was not so pleasant on appeal so I would not appeal.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #599
Grewup on the CW

All good points on Mike's D's pic from Joseph to Moffat Road. The scenery trump's the backlit and that is why it is on RP BUT as a rookie here on RP and all the backlit rejections I've recv'd, had I taken the exact same shot I'd never tried to submit it, knowing it I would more than likely get the backlit reject. No discredit Mike D. Its in my favs to study by, cuz rules are meant to be broken, otherwise....boring wedgies

RobJor/Bob, you posted/typed faster than me....

Last edited by Grewup on the CW; 02-01-2018 at 12:09 AM.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:20 AM   #600
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Slow down there boy before you start criticizing one of the most recognized modern day railroad photographers.

Yeah, nose light is lacking, and it looks a tad unlevel, but it's a pretty good photo. Runs circles around anything you have submitted.

This thread is to highlight garbage, of which this is not
As always Troy I appreciate the personal attack Again, not sure what you have against me or what I submit but regardless I don't think ones work should be the basis of whether or not they can discuss or critique others.

I'm well aware Mike is a well known photog but I'd like to think having a name doesn't make your work immure to criticism or at least discussion. It seems my post has spurred a discussion, and I think the point of this or any thread is at a basic level, for discussion.

Last edited by Joseph Cermak; 02-01-2018 at 12:23 AM.