http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1181715784

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1243099481

Backlit?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=831913&key=0
coaststarlight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #2
Dennis A. Livesey

Danylo

First; congrats on going out, shooting and uploading to RP. That's all good!

Second. You have a way to go however. You have to start with the basics. Search the forums and learn basic rules of photography. Chase Gunnoe has good novice advice.

Really look at the the accepted shots on RP and see how your shots are different and why.

Good luck!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

The shot of the Amtrak train (read: visible engine) is not a bad start. Shot with better light and a better understanding of exposure, it could be close. The other two are poor examples of what might be readily seen on other web sites sithout a screening process. The screener should have made it clear and rejected them for multiple reasons.

Also, the CSX 5399 is not an AC4400CW. It's a GEVO. Exact CSX designation should be under the number in the shot.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Amtrakdavis22

CoastStarlight14- It's good to see your trying. Believe me it will seem like forever and a world of frustration before that first image is accepted but the main thing is keep at it. Now here's the problem, as you move on in your photography life you will learn things and hopefully apply them to your images. Good ways to learn things is by looking at other photographers work. I learned a ton by just looking at photos by Steven M Welch. I did it almost ever day. I just kept looking and gaining new ideas. This really helped me find and setup good compositions for my photographs. Then as you do that and the photos keep getting rejected you learn more about light and other things that either make or brake a photograph. So I would go out and look at others photography and see if you can find why that photo would be accepted. That sure helped me.

That all said I'll try and help you with these photographs you posted. Now let me be clear, I don't want to offend you at all. I just want to tell you the truth.

Ok first off, none of those photos will be accepted to RailPictures.Net. And here's why:
#1 (High Sun) See the shadow below the window. That is a clear sign of high sun. The sun is almost straight above you and it casts very awkward shadows on the engine. The light during high sun times are also very unattractive. People like nice warm photos taken during the golden period. To avoid high sun don't shoot between 10am and 4pm during the summer. During the other seasons the times are a little shorter but the main thing is, don't shoot in the middle of the day. Wake up and be at your location before sunrise and shoot shoot shoot then take a nap during the middle of the day and then wake back up around 4 or 5 and shoot till nightfall. That is the easiest way to avoid high sun.

The other problem with those photos is the composition. I'm not going to go much into it but look at other photos on RP and find what is generally accepted. Try those angles at first. Then branch off into the more artsy area.

#3 (Backlit) One of the most important things I was ever told is if your not shooting artsy photographs, keep the sun to your back. Always have the light be on your subject (which is the train). Try and get a lot of light on the side and front of the train your shooting. The last thing a viewer wants is the sun in there face and they can barely see the subject.

All that said I hope you take something out of this. Look at other photographs and try to become a great photographer. It will take a lot of time a patience but you can get there. Keep shooting! -JT

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #5
coaststarlight14

Thank you all for the advice, i now understand about the high sun and backlit images.
coaststarlight14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
crazytiger

Read this RailPictures Beginners Guide, written by a young, albeit very successful member of the site.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

When I was learning, I was told that your shadow should be pointing at what you want to photograph. If it's not, the image will be back-lit. This is a good technique for any photo you take. Even when people ask me to take their picture at a park or something, I will use my shadow to make sure it's a good pic.

High sun is also a killer, but during the summer months, it's almost unsafe to be outside during that time in the summer.

It sucks because basically, only half of the trains you will see you can photograph, and on slow days, that can really be a pain in the ass.

Now there are some ways to do a good backlit shot you can see on here.

One other common rejection you might get is "cloudy day common power." It's basically they don't accept pictures of common trains on cloudy days. Now they may accept uncommon and rare trains (steam trains, executive trains, one in a life time movements, etc) but keep in mind those are the uncommon ones.

Good luck and keep trying, one thing about trains, there will always be another one along.

Last edited by Greg P; 07-13-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csx