Old 10-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
conrail4129

Default Fixing "Bad Color"

Hey everybody, I got the "Bad Color" rejection on this photo I sent in earlier. I've been wondering what you guys think on what's the best course of action to fix it so the color isn't "bad".

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...30&key=6133241

-Patrick
conrail4129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
conrail1990

Appears to have a slight orange/yellow tint and in need of contrast. It also appears to have a blur to it. Almost like a dirty lens.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

Not trying to be mean, but the image quality of the shot is really rather bad. Nothing is really in focus. Tell tale signs are the ballast and the leaves in the trees.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Not trying to be mean, but the image quality of the shot is really rather bad. Nothing is really in focus. Tell tale signs are the ballast and the leaves in the trees.
Not to mention the number boards...and the entire nose of the loco.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
Kyle Korienek

f/4.3 did this, aperture is far too wide for that much sunlight. Shoot at a narrower aperture, and the focus issue will go away, but the noise is an issue, a major issue, especially when the ISO was at 80...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."

Last edited by Kyle Korienek; 10-17-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: I'm dumb...
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
f/4.3 did this, aperture is far too wide for that much sunlight. Shoot at a wider aperture, and the focus issue will go away, but the noise is an issue, a major issue, especially when the ISO was at 80...
Only in the sense that f4.3 would be the "anti-sweet spot" of the particular lens used. A large aperture is not going to automatically make the focus "go away" if the proper focus was achieved in the first place.

But then again, as I reread your post, it appears I misunderstood and you're actually contradicting yourself. "f4.3 did this," with "this" being the image too soft, yet, you tell him to go wider (f4? f2.8?) and the focus issue will go away. Hmmm....

Last edited by JimThias; 10-17-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
Kyle Korienek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Only in the sense that f4.3 would be the "anti-sweet spot" of the particular lens used. A large aperture is not going to automatically make the focus "go away" if the proper focus was achieved in the first place.

But then again, as I reread your post, it appears I misunderstood and you're actually contradicting yourself. "f4.3 did this," with "this" being the image too soft, yet, you tell him to go wider (f4? f2.8?) and the focus issue will go away. Hmmm....
Jim, my bad, I meant go narrower, like f/7.1 or f/8, f/6.3 is even acceptable at times. I say that because I can clearly see the college sign in the background is in focus, AF got it, and left everything else blurry. I will concede that there is something bigger wrong, AF failure is likely, but the aperture that wide exacerbates the problem.

Apparently the cold I have is messing with my brain, it must not be a cold, I must have mad cow disease or something...

My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Jim, my bad, I meant go narrower, like f/7.1 or f/8, f/6.3 is even acceptable at times. I say that because I can clearly see the college sign in the background is in focus, AF got it, and left everything else blurry. I will concede that there is something bigger wrong, AF failure is likely, but the aperture that wide exacerbates the problem.
and the problem may not just be the aperture. The college sign is (reasonably, or somewhat better) in focus, sure, but if that is the distance of focus then there should be an analogous area on the left equally in focus, just a bit behind the crossing. Instead the blur is uniformly bad on the left. See, for example, the ballast, to me always a good indicator. And the foliage on the left is much worse than the foliage on the right.

I might even suspect a lens problem. I'd have to see more shots. But I don't think this one gets much better simply by going to f/8.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking

This reads like a script from a Seinfeld episode.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
JimThias

I'm with J on this one. There is something strange going on with this image. The plane of focus should extend to the left side of the image in line with the college sign, but it does not. Almost like this was made soft/blurry in post processing.

Tags
advice, bad color, csx, rejection