Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
Bill

Default How would you shoot this scene?

This is a scene that I drive past quite often...the three trains are parked there & it seems, in theory, that this would be a quite photogenic subject.
The attached shot is probably the best of the bunch...but it's obviously not rp.net quality.
The angle I'm shooting from is on the edge of the road. I could easily get more to the right or left & I suppose I could even get trackside.

What would you do with this scene?

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sbvr-trio.jpg (211.2 KB, 221 views)
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Fotaugrafee, Ink.
Banned

Hmmm, how would I shoot THAT scene?

Cut down the trees, they're not telegraph poles, so they're irrelevant to the shot. Matter of fact, it's clutter, obstructing the subject matter.

BTW, you mean "3 locomotives", right? Not trains? The day I see 3 trains in Green Spring, WV...two of them are bound to be CSXT passing each other while the SBVR looks on.

Off-topic. What number is the left-most unit? Looks like a chopped / repainted GP9? Last time I chased these guys, I don't recall any of the GP's in consist being repainted or chopped. It was pretty damn fun though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
This is a scene that I drive past quite often...the three trains are parked there & it seems, in theory, that this would be a quite photogenic subject.

The attached shot is probably the best of the bunch...but it's obviously not rp.net quality.

The angle I'm shooting from is on the edge of the road. I could easily get more to the right or left & I suppose I could even get trackside.

What would you do with this scene?

Thanks,
Bill
Fotaugrafee, Ink. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Bill;

I can't see where you can do anymore with it than you already have. You could probably shoot between the power poles, so to speak, but those trees are the killers. Not a bad shot, but RP will not accept foreground clutter. As one member used to say, personal collection.

You have some awesome photos on your RP link in your sig line. I would not worry about the above shot too much. At least until the railrod comes through with a weed whacker.

Joe
Old 02-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Bill

I appreciate the input guys. Everytime I drive by that scene I think to myself "there's gotta be a way to shoot that"...and it leaves me scratching my head for a solution.

The left-most unit is #91...not sure the history, but I do remember seeing it at the RailFest in Petersburg this past August.

Joe, thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
Northern Limits

Get rid of the shrubs. Stepping against the trunk just above ground level works if you don't carry a machette. The other thing is elevate yourself, either the back of a pickup with a short step ladder, or gasp, the trunk of your car.

If you cant get rid of the shrubbery, wait until spring when the new leaf buds give a tint of green. As was mentioned earlier. Take the picture because you like it, and add it to your personal collection.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 AM   #6
trainmonster

Talking

Chain saw, baby!! This: http://tinyurl.com/3dh9vv is gonna be my next purchase!

Rich

Last edited by trainmonster; 02-16-2007 at 02:15 AM.
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #7
Fotaugrafee, Ink.
Banned

Jim, I hate to tell ya, but dems be full-sized trees, at least 8-10' or more, and probably 6-8" in diameter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
Get rid of the shrubs. Stepping against the trunk just above ground level works if you don't carry a machette. The other thing is elevate yourself, either the back of a pickup with a short step ladder, or gasp, the trunk of your car.

If you cant get rid of the shrubbery, wait until spring when the new leaf buds give a tint of green. As was mentioned earlier. Take the picture because you like it, and add it to your personal collection.
Trainmonster, save your pennies & buy a Stihl instead. My own is kept in the back of my Jeep with an array of saws, clippers & nippers (and gloves, too).
Fotaugrafee, Ink. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
Northern Limits

Then follow Rich's suggestion "chainsaw"! Clear-cut, nnhhaaa hhaaa haaaa

Up here I've been able to stomp flat 8 to 10ft aspens, as long as I push close to the ground. At least get them low enough for a view.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by Northern Limits; 02-16-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
trainmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotaugrafee, Ink.
Trainmonster, save your pennies & buy a Stihl instead. My own is kept in the back of my Jeep with an array of saws, clippers & nippers (and gloves, too).
Just thinking on a rechargeable for stealth purposes!

Rich
Old 02-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #10
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmonster
Just thinking on a rechargeable for stealth purposes!

Rich
"Suspect is dangerous with cameras, a portable electric chainsaw..."

John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
Wonka001

Quote:
Orignally posted by Bill:
I appreciate the input guys. Everytime I drive by that scene I think to myself "there's gotta be a way to shoot that"...and it leaves me scratching my head for a solution.
I know the feeling, there are a few spots in my neck of the woods that I would like to include as well, but I don't know if I want to do a whole lot of gardening, because it would ruin the effect I want.. maybe i'll have to get my hip waders on or something..

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote