Englt542

Send a message via AIM to Englt542 Send a message via Yahoo to Englt542
Default High Sun

looking for some help,

Strasburg
Englt542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
Railfan Ohio

Its high sun all right. The shadows from the headlight come down over the numbers. Also it appears you were on the wrong side of the train as there are shadows on the side. Note that those are also very short which means the sun was most likely high.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

White skies at noon, photographers be doomed.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Englt542

well it was 4 in the after noon when I took the Picture
Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

What is the fireman doing? It looks like he has fishing lures or something dangling out the window.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
KevinM

Smile

Hi 542,

I can sympathize with you. Of all of the reasons pictures are rejected here, "High Sun/Poor Lighting" is the most frustrating, because the conditions that produce it are there during most of the hours that the steam tourist railroads operate. In a whole day, you might get an hour or two when conditions are acceptable and you can't be at all of your favorite spots on the line during that short time. I do envy you, because you live a whole bunch closer to this railroad than I do.

On to the picture...

We can't see the EXIF data, so folks unfamiliar with the line wouldn't have any way to know WHEN you took the shot. I am pretty familiar with that spot and from the shadows, I can definitely tell that it was on the 3PM or 4PM trains. Unfortunately, it would appear as if you were definitely on the wrong side of the train. Check out the train and tree shadows. When you look at the sides of the train, they look a bit dull and drab and it's tough to see details. Obviously, the Screeners don't have a reject button for every last detail, so they select the one that looks the closest. Lighting is really the issue. This isn't a bad shot...it just doesn't fit the RP mold. I have lots of 'em too.

If you want to shoot this again, the hours of 4-7PM would be best, and Strasburg does run a daily late train starting soon. Since there are fences on the other side of the tracks, you might try the cemetery above Carpenters. The shot from there is not as clean (fences/trees etc), but the scenery is very nice.

Keep shooting guy. This hobby can be very frustrating, but when you finally get something pretty, you appreciate it that much more!

Cheers!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan
What is the fireman doing? It looks like he has fishing lures or something dangling out the window.
It looks to me like what you're seeing is something sticking out between the tender and the first car, giving the illusion that he has something in his hand.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

The shot is leaning to the left just a hair and might need a little sharpening too. I don't know that it will get on RTP, but I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like in black and white.

Joe
Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
khalucha

It really $ucks for me because I live in the "Valley of the Sun". So all of the photos I post get the "high sun" rejection.
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha
It really $ucks for me because I live in the "Valley of the Sun". So all of the photos I post get the "high sun" rejection.
We are all experiencing high sun right now, that's why you need to shoot in the morning or evening if you want pictures accepted on RP.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:42 AM   #11
Englt542

Thanks for the Help!!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #12
khalucha

Kind of hard this time of year due to weather. Currently 1700 and 113 out side. by 1900 when it is dusk it is around 110 +/- out still. I do not think that there is a good option right now for me except wait till winter.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Kind of hard this time of year due to weather. Currently 1700 and 113 out side. by 1900 when it is dusk it is around 110 +/- out still. I do not think that there is a good option right now for me except wait till winter.
No idea what that actually means, but no eed to wait to winter. Just because the shots might not make it to RP or inside the pages of a magazine doesn't mean you can't still take the camera out. In fact, I'm shooting as much now as I was in the Spring, just shooting more things than just trains.

Note to self: You do have some recent rail photography to upload.

Joe
Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Just because the shots might not make it to RP or inside the pages of a magazine doesn't mean you can't still take the camera out.
You could still get high sun stuff accepted onto the RP servers - if you shoot video and upload it to R-V instead (something I need to get more into the habit of myself, since I've only uploaded one).

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:05 AM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Joe, he's in Arizona. I think it means that at 17:00, 5pm, he's at 113 degrees, and at 19:00, 7pm, he's still at 110 degrees.

But as we all know, it's a dry heat, so no big deal.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 AM   #16
khalucha

It just makes it really hard because I will always get the "high sun" rejection. Looking back at all of the photos I have taken have the "high sun" on them, so I am not going to waste the admins time posting them. Winter time the sun is not so bad. Winter time here is in the 60 and 70's for the most part which is comfortable weather to chase trains in. This time of year you just burn up waiting to take a shot even with sun screen.

It is nice to share your work with others that enjoy the same hobby, but gets really frustrating with trying to take that perfect shot to share with others.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #17
Carl Becker

If you're really that discouraged about high sun, I think you need to realize that as long as you shoot at the very beginning or end of the day and from the correct side of the track, you're not going to have problems.

Image © Carl Becker
PhotoID: 238565
Photograph © Carl Becker

Note the large shadow some distance back into the train. This was very late in the day, with the sun quite low in the sky. If I had shot from the other side, it would have been either a high sun or backlit reject, but the correct side was used, so the lighting's fine. Start with the obvious, then grow from there...

~Carl Becker
Old 06-17-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
It just makes it really hard because I will always get the "high sun" rejection. Looking back at all of the photos I have taken have the "high sun" on them, so I am not going to waste the admins time posting them. Winter time the sun is not so bad. Winter time here is in the 60 and 70's for the most part which is comfortable weather to chase trains in. This time of year you just burn up waiting to take a shot even with sun screen.
Again, go out in the early morning or late evening. SURELY the heat is tolerable then. It's not like Arizona sees 100+ degrees at 8am and 7pm for extended periods of time. And even if it is, the sun angle is low enough at that time of the day making it tolerable.

Like I said, most of us are experiencing high sun right now. But somehow a lot of people still manage to make it out for first light or last light.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #19
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Like I said, most of us are experiencing high sun right now. But somehow a lot of people still manage to make it out for first light or last light.
Oddly enough, the early mornings and late afternoons seem to be the busiest times around here. I look at it this way; in the summer I miss having no high sun and no mosquitoes to worry about in winter, but when it's winter, I miss being able to shoot northbounds, be outside w/o a coat on, and having the long days of summer.

~Carl Becker
Old 06-17-2008, 02:13 AM   #20
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

I have been having decent success using overpasses for elevation during high sun times, my suggestion is try to find some way to get above your subject, and you should have less issues with high sun, i shot this guy around 2, there is basically no light on the trucks at all, so I shot it head on, and at this spot this train was the perfect length:
Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 237474
Photograph © Geoff Brozny

This one was taken around 3, it would of got high sun if I would of shot it at grade:
Image © Geoff Brozny
PhotoID: 239411
Photograph © Geoff Brozny
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #21
KevinM

Where there's a will, there's a way. I know for fact that the experts here don't hibernate completely between 10AM and 3PM. They have strategies for gettin' it done during high sun times. Studying their shots can sometimes give you clues. Look at the plethora of shots of the Corman QJ from a few weeks back. Many of those shots were taken around high noon....yet they look fine.

While I'm still pretty much doomed from 11-2, the technique that Geoff described above has helped me get a few shots in around the fringes of these times. I look for embankments to climb....anything to get a little height. I also try to find places where I can catch the train turning away from me, because as it leans into the turn, it gets better light on it. Look for angles that don't emphasize faces of the train that aren't getting good light. Lastly, a little luck helps. Cirrus clouds can sometimes lessen the harshness of the sun just enough to make the shot look decent. Last weekend, I swear that a "fringe" shot I really wanted for here was saved at the last second by a jet contrail.....no kidding!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM   #22
khalucha

I am in the Desert and there are not to may hills by me to shoot from. The other issues with the over pass is there are a few but all have signs to "No Pedestrian Traffic". The only other one does not have a side walk on it and I would have to stand on the shoulder of the road which is not that wide. I did post a photo of the area I like to shoot with the sun towards my back but off center. The Line runs East/West, the same path the sunrise/set. There are some other ares on the line but it is hard to find a safe place to park. Some of the other problems I have is I have a car and not a truck to venture out off road some, and two little girls, 1 & 3, that chase with me. God forbid I go out with out the 3 year old.

I know of a photographer that takes pictures in the same area that I shoot and I believe he has photos on here, but some of the locations he shoots from I think are a little iffy due to traffic. Maybe he lucks out and gets to some of the locations when traffic is slower but every time I try it is a nightmare.

Here isthe link to a few of my last venture out.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:51 AM   #23
khalucha

Here is a stupid question: What metering mode is everyone using or do you switch around?

I am using "Evaluative Metering" currently. Would I be better of using "Spot Metering" or "Center-Weighted Metering"?

The above link the shots were taken at about 1430 hours and it was a cloudy day,just looked at the video, actually it started to rain right afterwards but I got shot down for "High Sun".

Last edited by khalucha; 06-18-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #24
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Well I have gotten the ''High Sun'' rejection before at 10:30 AM on the dot. The nose was shadowed so I took a wide angle and the light was good on the trucks and on the side. Maybe the screeners know when its 10:30 to 3:30?

I am a big fan of early morning light myself.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 238643
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #25
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
I am a big fan of early morning light myself.

Image © Wayne Stumbo
PhotoID: 238643
Photograph © Wayne Stumbo

Sorry, Wayne, but the head on light is causing the side of the train to be dark. Result: mediocre shot.