Old 04-28-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Audience PEQ

Damn - as if trying to get the screeners to come around was hard enough - now we got audience ADD?

Did this image really get Audience PEQ? Not the kind of image we wish to favorite (and /or comment on)? Ouch. Though it done did good on FB.

Two favorites after 24 hours - or prior to burial deep within the DATABASE.

What did you do Tom - anti-link it? Did you post in between two wrecks and naked girl and a glimpse of the Big Boy on the move?

Image © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com
PhotoID: 479326
Photograph © Thomas J. Nanos - www.nanosphoto.com

Suddenly a line from the movie "Grosse Pointe Blank" makes much more sense to me... "As Idaho Falls, so falls Idaho Falls". Has screener (sans Chase) apathy come full circle and made it's way to the viewers?

Chase - I "vote" Toms shot for POTW, next week.

/Mitch

Still kind of surprised on this one, too -
11 favorites for a "action" night shot of the York:

Image © Jon Wright
PhotoID: 459136
Photograph © Jon Wright
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 AM   #2
CSX1702

Here's one for ya.

Image © Joe Blackwell
PhotoID: 474982
Photograph © Joe Blackwell

P.S. You totally just stole my idea for the "unnoticed" thread.
Kidding.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Here's one for ya.

Image © Joe Blackwell
PhotoID: 474982
Photograph © Joe Blackwell

P.S. You totally just stole my idea for the "unnoticed" thread.
Kidding.
We've had "unnoticed galleries" in the past but - yes, I'd include Joe's shot in there, as well. I'll give Tom and Jon a little more sympathy considering the difficulty in getting the shot, vs right place, right time and technical prowess on Joe's exposure and composition.

Once again - I've always thought of comments and /or favorating as "payment" for services rendered just like applaud at a slide presentation.

Maybe RP (as I suggested) should bring "LIKE" back, in addition to favorites and comments. Each would have a unique application here and might suggest better the appeal of a shot and /or effort. I could see myself (like they do on Facebook) simply liking shots that are not my favorite shots as a show of respect and a measure of applaud. Just leave the "Dislike" button in the dumbster (yeah, "Dumb"ster). Lol.

/Mitch
Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 AM   #4
Mgoldman

GG1 under the radar, lol:

Image © Greg Triplett
PhotoID: 479055
Photograph © Greg Triplett

/Mitch
Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
troy12n
Banned

Mitch, what you have there is what a typical shot gets on here these days if the submitter dont link the hell out of it. It's just how it is...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Because the night flash niche is getting pounded to death now. Everybody is doing it, some are doing it poorly, and the people are getting bored with it.

Which is a shame because that shot is a really capable effort, and deserving of more.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #7
JRMDC

for me, favorite = like. My true favorites are those I leave comments upon. But of course I am not consistent either!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

As flash equipment becomes more cost effective and appealing, many more folks have invested in the equipment. It's much more popular now than it was two years ago. That said, it's created a genre of its own and it takes quite a powerful thumbnail to be of interest.

Also, Duncannon is a location that has been photographed pretty extensively using wireless strobes. This is a GREAT effort by Tom and a very well illuminated scene. I just think it's managed to slip by the viewers..

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Because the night flash niche is getting pounded to death now. Everybody is doing it, some are doing it poorly, and the people are getting bored with it.

Loyd L.
At least in my case, the boredom is mostly associated with night shots in which there is nothing but a train or locomotive hit with flashes. Another "ho-hum" is a shot in which the train and/or other elements are just hit with too much light.

With respect to the shot of the York 17 at the Glen Rock Mill Inn, the combination of the locomotive and the setting are interesting because a locomotive of that "age" looks very much at home next to the old brick building with the painted sign. I've tried that same shot a number of times myself....during the day. As I indicated to Mitch during a face-to-face onone of our recent charters, the reason why that particular shot doesn't work for me is simple. The "age" of the equipment and the buildings just predates flash photography by so many years that it's just not believable. Now, if the lighting were the right color and more subdued, like lamplight, or firelight, it would still be a stretch, but I would be more inclined to favorite it or comment on it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #10
railfanzone

Well, thanks Mitch for the additional attention this shot has received...I'll send you that check soon...

I've been away from here for a while, and I'm reading some of the threads with great interest (in particular the Flickr one, Sean's in-camera multi exposure one - even though I'm a Canon guy and can't do that, and Chase's post asking about what we want), and may add something in the near future, but wanted to make a quick comment here, since it directly pertains to my photo. Yeah, this isn't my most profound night shot - honestly, this wasn't one of my most inspired nights, mostly because I dropped my 70-200mm f/2.8 on the ground and bent the EF-mount flange (those of you on Facebook probably saw the damage and read about my field-fix). Yeah, the lighting is pretty flat, but for me it's the blue-hour sky that makes it. Hey, to each their own... And if you're curious, those white thingies in the sky are not noise or artifacts - they're simply gnats that got too close to the flash. They were swarming that night...

But I do agree that the flash thing is quickly approaching the cliche zone as more and more people get the gear, and not necessarily know how to use it. Will I continue to light up the nights in the light of the influx of people doing it? Sure. Will I be doing it differently in the future - absolutely. One thing is I've designed and built my own radio flash triggers that have a range of about a mile (line of sight) without the use of a repeater. That should give you an idea of what direction I'm going in...

And thank you all for the kind words - they are appreciated!

-Tom

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
railfanzone

And to add, this is probably my favorite shot from that night at Duncannon - no flash at all, just wide open f/2.8 (after I fixed the lens flange with a Leatherman)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/14034371543/

I may submit it here...not sure yet...

Flickr stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/nanosphoto/
My Railpictures.net Photos
My published photo portfolio
My one photo on JetPhotos.net
railfanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #12
troy12n
Banned

I would say this one got way less than it deserved...

Image © Rendra Swariyan Habib
PhotoID: 479510
Photograph © Rendra Swariyan Habib
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:38 AM   #13
bigbassloyd

I nominated it for a PCA. I figure if 3 other people do it as well, it'll be in the top 4...

I put one on today that isn't lighting the world on fire, and I figured it might have.. so it goes.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
Mberry

Quote:
I nominated it for a PCA. I figure if 3 other people do it as well, it'll be in the top 4...

I put one on today that isn't lighting the world on fire, and I figured it might have.. so it goes.

Loyd L.
I PCAed it as well - love that shot. Still getting a massive amount of faves.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
At least in my case, the boredom is mostly associated with night shots in which there is nothing but a train or locomotive hit with flashes. Another "ho-hum" is a shot in which the train and/or other elements are just hit with too much light.

With respect to the shot of the York 17 at the Glen Rock Mill Inn, the combination of the locomotive and the setting are interesting because a locomotive of that "age" looks very much at home next to the old brick building with the painted sign. I've tried that same shot a number of times myself....during the day. As I indicated to Mitch during a face-to-face onone of our recent charters, the reason why that particular shot doesn't work for me is simple. The "age" of the equipment and the buildings just predates flash photography by so many years that it's just not believable. Now, if the lighting were the right color and more subdued, like lamplight, or firelight, it would still be a stretch, but I would be more inclined to favorite it or comment on it.
I am all for authentic recreations where all things are period. And I know that is what you are all about Kevin. The purity of following that muse shows in the outstanding quality of your work.

However...

I don't agree with rejecting a photo because it does not fit such purity rules. In the end the only rule for me is "Does the photograph work?" Therefore, I could care less if the lighting is not period or if "The XYZ railroad never ran that type of diesel on this stretch of track" etc, etc. That stuff pales in importance if the photo is awesome, right?

Following such rules of only wanting authentic everything then begs the question "Why are you shooting with a digital color camera? You should be do this on a B&W 8x10 wet plate glass negative."

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

Too bad he didn't wait to get the power in the opening a couple of lengths ahead of its current position.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I don't agree with rejecting a photo because it does not fit such purity rules. In the end the only rule for me is "Does the photograph work?" Therefore, I could care less if the lighting is not period or if "The XYZ railroad never ran that type of diesel on this stretch of track" etc, etc. That stuff pales in importance if the photo is awesome, right?
Hi Dennis,

Just to clarify, I wasn't implying that the flash picture of the "York" should have been rejected for any reason. I was just stating that I personally was not nearly as excited over that image as Mitch apparently was. The image quality, composition and lighting are all very professionally done. Like a lot of other night flash pictures, it just doesn't inspire me to run out and buy a bunch of Alien Bees and radio triggers. Once in a while, I see one that is really cool.....just not this time.

With regard to the use of digital cameras on historic equipment, it is true that color film did not exist during the Civil War, but it is also true that, at least during the daylight hours, human beings did see things in color.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Too bad he didn't wait to get the power in the opening a couple of lengths ahead of its current position.
If he did that the reflection of the power would be too close to the boat or even touching it.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #19
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post

Patience.

On the other hand, Tom's shot, and even more so, Jon's had been in the database and past the day's queue of image.

I agree, been there done that, seen it all before - but in Tom's case, it was not just another night shot - it was blue hour. And VERY well done. The brush to the left is a little "hot" but unlike many night images, there was no nuked spots and no dark black holes. Very nicely captured - and composed.
And after 24 hours - 2 favorites. I've seen more favorites at the same spot in daylight, let alone random diesels in random and generic locations and consequently wondered what the deal was.

As for Jon's shot - Kevin - we'll have to light an steam engine up with flash powder and see what happens. For the rest of us who can get past IF it could happen and onto IT did happen, I thought Jon did a great job capturing a scene that so many failed to do during daylight due to the issues of lighting and poorly placed cars and onlookers. Jon admitted that the shot was actually staged - for those who have attempted lighting such a shot and actually getting so much right, they (and only they???) should in my mind applaud the difficulty and consequent success in doing so - especially not realizing it was staged, but even staged - an impressive shot that originally garnered less applaud the earlier grab shots along the line.

One more reason I think "Likes" might have a place on RP. You might not have the energy it requires to find and then actually click on the comment button and then actually think of something to say, and you might not think of the shot as one of your favorites, but I'll bet - if Facebook is any indication - you "LIKE" the shot more then perhaps the one before and after while you scrolled. You "LIKE" the effort and result even if it's not a favorite.

/Mitch
Old 04-29-2014, 11:26 PM   #20
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
If he did that the reflection of the power would be too close to the boat or even touching it.
Yeah, but reflections on the water don't always match the train on the bridge.

Or maybe that's just further south.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I guess I should have said, "It's too bad he didn't take a couple of steps to the right and get the power in the opening a couple of lengths ahead of its current position."

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #22
jac_murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Yeah, but reflections on the water don't always match the train on the bridge.

Or maybe that's just further south.
Last I checked, Indonesia was much further south than Florida!

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #23
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
i nominated it for a pca. I figure if 3 other people do it as well, it'll be in the top 4...
LOL!

extra characters
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote