Old 10-02-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
cn2500sm

Default Rare Shots vs Quality- Your Opinion

Hi folks:

Several times in the past, I have had shots rejected ie: 2 CSX SD70ACe unit with an F7, because it was shot on a cloudy day. 2 of the newest generation units with a first generation diesel rejected as too dark. Even though truck detail is evident in the photo. Now I'm in the process of appeal of an Aussie SD70ACe in almost perfect sunlight shot slightly from the rear with a fence partially in front of the unit. I was careful to try to blend the fence in with the unit to minimize. This is the second last unit in the run and pics from BHP in Aussie land are not plentiful on this site. With all the rejections I've had on this site, I begin to wonder if the screeners are railfans. I've been a railfan for 38 years. A photographer for 20 years, and a train photographer for 11 years. A well respected photographer from up here has given up submitting to this site due to rejections. Yet his photos win awards. Perhaps railpictures could open a slot of photos of interest or a newsphoto section where photos of lesser quailty the could generate some scuttlebut amongst the members who ARE railfans. I've attached the rejected photo to this note. If you agree with me let them know. If you don't let me know. Thanks folks

Shane

PS. Shots of these units in full paint are almost non-existant on North American soil as far as I know
PSS. Don't know if the photo uploaded. But if it did not please let rail pics know that even a less than perfect shot can be of interesr to the railfan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aus4306.jpg (115.9 KB, 238 views)

Last edited by cn2500sm; 10-02-2005 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Attach Picture
cn2500sm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

I think the criteria for this site should be met regardless of the subject, although that is not always the case. I just don't think exceptions should be made for a newsworthy picture. If the newsworthy shot can not be taken to meet the wants of this site, there are scores of other places to post it. This is not the only internet site for railroad pictures.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #3
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kV
I think the criteria for this site should be met regardless of the subject, although that is not always the case. I just don't think exceptions should be made for a newsworthy picture. If the newsworthy shot can not be taken to meet the wants of this site, there are scores of other places to post it. This is not the only internet site for railroad pictures.

While the photo in question is news and may create quite a bit of scuttlebut, in my OPINION, the foreground obstructions/clutter (especially the fence and yellow heads blocking the front truck) void any postive "enjoyment" I got out of the photo. Again, in my opinion, though a rarity indeed, I would be a little frustraited waiting for the download and scrolling through the pictures and seeing this one. However, if the photo were - and I know this is common - front wedge, the distractions may have been eliminated. Also, it appears the back parts of the locomotive are shadowed. I would say the standards should stand regardless of news or importance. I stress this is my opinion, as you requested.

On a side note, when bored, I have wanted to be able to view all the rejected photos instead of just the ones people link to. This would allow railfans to view newsworthy pictures, while not overloading the database. There have been times I have checked the queue and there have been almost 200 photos waiting for screening, and the next visit, a mere 40-50 were accepted. I've always wondered what all those pictures were...
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
RCH022

Send a message via AIM to RCH022

I think newsworthy stuff w/ avg. or below avg. quality should be accepted, especially if nobody else submitted something of the same thing.
RCH022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
cmherndon
Banned

Send a message via AIM to cmherndon Send a message via Yahoo to cmherndon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn2500sm
With all the rejections I've had on this site, I begin to wonder if the screeners are railfans.
I would say that they're railfan photographers, and not just railfans with cameras.

Quote:
Perhaps railpictures could open a slot of photos of interest or a newsphoto section where photos of lesser quailty the could generate some scuttlebut amongst the members who ARE railfans.
They could, but then the quality RP has become known for is compromised. Now as far as the railfan comment is concerned, does the fact that someone doesn't like a low quality shot just because it's got some rare power in it not make them a railfan? Remember, several of us are railfan photographers and not railfans with cameras.

About the shot in question, is it newsworthy? Definitely. We won't see these on American soil for very long. I'm sure we'll see several photos added when they're delivered to Austraila. Is your photo RP quality? Certainly not. There's just too much going against it, especially since it's a roster shot with foreground clutter. As mentioned before, there are several other places where you can upload your shot.

Oh well. I guess this doesn't make me a railfan...
cmherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
LAHDPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Muller
There have been times I have checked the queue and there have been almost 200 photos waiting for screening, and the next visit, a mere 40-50 were accepted. I've always wondered what all those pictures were...
They were mostly mine.

And to answer the question, I do NOT think that "newsworthy" should override the standards in general. There will, I'm sure, be some exceptions, but a shot cluttered as badly as the example above does not need to be in this database.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Joe the Photog

I think out of more than 100,000 shopts, there are probably a few newsworthy shots in here more news than worthy. But this shot in this thread is nowhere near RP-worthy in my opinion. First of all, the shot is too dark to have been taken in "near perfect" sun. There is too much clutter in it and it emphasizes the rear more than the side or the front.

Joe
Old 10-03-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
cn2500sm

Thanks for your input folks. I would have loved to get around to the front of the unit for the shot but I probably would have ended up in jail. The unit was on EMD property and they HATE people especally with cameras on their property. So I tried to make the best of a bad photo situation. I do realize that certain standards have to be met just in data base size issue alone. I was just trying to share a rare shot and this is one of the best fourms.
cn2500sm is offline   Reply With Quote