Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Train-a-Mania

Default Engineer Crop

I've been working with this one for a while.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...09&key=6297409
Old 03-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
BobE
Banned

As a portrait, it works pretty well. You might lighten the shadows so we can see his face. If you have any more frame to the right you might crop in more locomotive. None of that guarantees acceptance at RP.

Also, do you know the guy's name? Put it in the caption. You're this close, people want to know who he is.
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
JRMDC

I am guessing that the particular screener feels there is too much tender.

You might get a reject for unlevel. You have leveled to make the vertical at the extreme right vertical; RP tends to prefer that verticals at the center are instead lined up.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
Dennis A. Livesey

Nice image quality and subject.

But...

His expression is weird and that kills the picture.

The fact that the face is in shadow and that the composition is somewhat awkward does not help either.

However, if he had a better expression, the shadow or cropping wouldn't matter.

(IMHO, something that is worth no more than the pixels it is written on.)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
Nice image quality and subject.

But...

His expression is weird and that kills the picture.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
JRMDC

I don't have a problem with the facial expression, seems within a reasonable range, so not odd.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 03-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
jnohallman

What about something like this?

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7353_1362419833.jpg (337.4 KB, 186 views)

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
BobE
Banned

Much better cropping and lighting. The big mystery now is 'will THEY accept it?'
BobE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I don't have a problem with the facial expression, seems within a reasonable range, so not odd.
Reasonable range of what?

That it is possible that he could make this expression? We see him doing it so yes, it is possible.

We all make odd expression from time to time particularly when thinking or transferring to another facial expression.

Like this:

This image of a celebrity however, has context so we get the meaning.

On the image in question, we do not know the man or what is happening or what is thinking.

The basic accepted context of an engineer in the cab is heroic, dynamic, strong. This one does not fit that so we are not sure what to think.

In this image he is idly thinking of something (maybe what fishing lure he wants to use next or that his conductor is clueless) but since we do not know what it is, it does not fit any known context.

Thus the purpose of the photo, the raison d'Ítre, of why we should care for the image is missing IMHO.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
JRMDC

Cm'on, Dennis! All I am saying is that in my mind this facial expression is not weird, twisted, accidentally funny, etc.

As to your last point, in a portrait do we ever know what is happening or what the subject is thinking? I guess you feel disconnected from this particular face, so the shot does not resonate with you. You were unable to come up with a story, so you reject. I guess I'm more willing to suspend the desire for understanding.

I presume you despise the Mona Lisa painting.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

OK, I will drop the word "weird" if you like. I'll instead say it's unattractive and jarring in the context of the power position an engineer represents to me. Any interest in the photo stops because I do not find the expression interesting, attractive or compelling. Since there is nothing else in the frame to attach to or explain his expression, the image dies for me.

Now with the Mona Lisa, which I have had the great fortune to gaze upon first hand, her expression is mysteriously alluring so we want to know more. We want to try and figure out what she is thinking.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 03-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Dennis A. Livesey

You might try this crop and putting his face in the upper right ROT point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7353.1362419833.jpg (206.0 KB, 67 views)

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
KevinM

I have found that when trying to shoot portraits, it is preferable to shoot in burst mode. You end up with a ton of images to sort through and you end up deleting most of them, but that's the only way to give yourself a fighting shot at the desirable facial expression. This is especially true if the subject is singing, which may be the case in the extreme example that Dennis posted. I have no idea who that lady is, but she's probably a very attractive woman. Not sure how the photographer ever let that image get out. It's not a positive for the subject or the shooter.

The next time you see a Presidential press conference or a Senate Committee hearing on TV, just listen in the background. Tons of photogs are blasting away with 1Ds and D4s, hoping to capture the perfect facial expression. It doesn't matter whether the subject is President Obama or a Locomotive Engineer. The technique is the same.

BTW, I happen to be with J on the OP's shot. The expression definitely isn't optimal, but it's not a throw-away either.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

Kevin, the woman pictured is Beyonce who is a big deal in the pop music diva department.

These two pictures were taken at this years Super Bowl. I couldn not find a photographers credit from Us Weekly.

160179342JF00088_Pepsi_Supe

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
KevinM

Hi Dennis,

Yes, I recognize her in the latest shot you posted. Not that I'm a fan of her music, but she is definitely good looking!

I am really surprised that any photog worth his salt would let an image like the first one you posted get out....unless he had an axe to grind....or perhaps worked for one of those worthless tabloids.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote