Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #1
Train-a-Mania

Default Hot Photo Alert - of a derailment

I get the "Hot Photo Alert" for new heritage and commemorative locomotives, but do we really need it for a derailment?

Last edited by Train-a-Mania; 10-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Train-a-Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
jac_murphy

But...but...but... it was shot with a DRONE!

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:21 AM   #3
KevinM

We need some companion sites....RailWrecks.net, Darwin-Foamers.net and RailChicks.net.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Mberry

3 decently similar photos on the same day seems a bit excessive as well, IMO.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #5
conrail1990

I felt the Hot Photo alert was rather unneeded as well.
conrail1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Mgoldman

Extra views = extra $'s.

Is there such a thing as unneeded $'s?

Which endorses the idea that there's more to RP then simply being the best place to find pretty railroad photos on the 'Net. Or, at least, what qualifies as "best" does not necessarily have to be something you might expect to see framed and hung in an office. It's as much a database as it is "best" photography on the 'Net, be it new, gals, Darwin's or - great photography. In this case, a bit of both as the pics were actually quite better then anything posted on any of Google's news links.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

I think it was in pretty poor taste as well, but above and beyond that, how many pics of this derailment do we need? 5 and counting...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #8
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I think it was in pretty poor taste as well, but above and beyond that, how many pics of this derailment do we need? 5 and counting...
These two seem particularly egregious, it's the exact same shot showing the exact same thing essentially.

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 549405
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 549418
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder
Old 10-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #9
bigbassloyd

more photos on RP = more cooler!

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
KevinM

After about the 3rd frame, I would have given the rest the STP rejection if I had been screening. How many images of a smoking hole in the ground are necessary to tell the story to anyone but the NTSB?

What I'd like to understand is why the photographer heavily links all of his shots? Is the objective To24, or is there some other reason for doing that?

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-09-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

What I'd like to understand is why the photographer heavily links all of his shots? Is the objective To24, or is there some other reason for doing that?
I know. Because the last thing folks should want after posting stuff on line is for people to goview it!

SMH
Old 10-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
troy12n
Banned

I'm kind of surprised we haven't been inundated with flooding destruction pics too
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I'm kind of surprised we haven't been inundated with flooding destruction pics too
I'm recuperating from surgery. Otherwise, I'd be out there getting shots and spamming Facebook
Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 AM   #14
EJ&ESDM809

Derailments are newsworthy if you ask me. At least they didn't say PTC could've prevented it!
EJ&ESDM809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ&ESDM809 View Post
Derailments are newsworthy if you ask me. At least they didn't say PTC could've prevented it!
I agree and the technology provides views not readily available before of interesting salvage operation. However to the extent it forces most other content to the background may not be so positive. Time will tell if every time there is a derailment we will be "flooded" with drone views and they will retain their popularity.

I know, not the "flood" photos referred to before. Smile.

Bob Jordan
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
However to the extent it forces most other content to the background may not be so positive. Time will tell if every time there is a derailment we will be "flooded" with drone views and they will retain their popularity.

Bob Jordan
And I think that is the point. When you post derailment pictures in small groups, day after day, and heavily link them to ensure that the view-counts will far exceed what the regular RP audience itself can generate, what you end up with is KB.net, 24-7.

If you look at the "Top Photographers" box in the lower right-hand corner of the home page, you can see the disparity. This photographer has more than 3x the views of the next most prolific contributor over the past week. Two of the To24 shots are currently his, and he has all 3 of the top shots from the last week. Literally every time I have looked at RP for the last 5 days, the #1 To24 shot has been something from the Amtrak derailment, all from the same source.

Is other content being forced to the background? I'll let folks make their own judgments. Personally, I can't see why anyone who had anything exceptional would bother to post it while this self-promotion machine is going full-tilt.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #17
Mberry

Quote:
And I think that is the point. When you post derailment pictures in small groups, day after day, and heavily link them to ensure that the view-counts will far exceed what the regular RP audience itself can generate, what you end up with is KB.net, 24-7.

If you look at the "Top Photographers" box in the lower right-hand corner of the home page, you can see the disparity. This photographer has more than 3x the views of the next most prolific contributor over the past week. Two of the To24 shots are currently his, and he has all 3 of the top shots from the last week. Literally every time I have looked at RP for the last 5 days, the #1 To24 shot has been something from the Amtrak derailment, all from the same source.

Is other content being forced to the background? I'll let folks make their own judgments. Personally, I can't see why anyone who had anything exceptional would bother to post it while this self-promotion machine is going full-tilt.
Well said Kevin - couldn't agree more.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:16 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Is other content being forced to the background?
Definitely, but only if your source for viewing images on RP is the front page. However, it's pretty easy to click by it to see what else has been uploaded for the day.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #19
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Well said Kevin - couldn't agree more.
My thoughts exactly - but then I've always been an advocate for RP being a place where the best photos are highlighted rather then best campaigned.

If you look through the pages of Trains, Railfan or most other magazines, you always tend to find the same folks. What once made RP great was that the best photographers got a chance to shine without the constraints of politics. Now, it seems, it's not who you know, but how well you run your campaign.

I take solace in knowing that those that have come to appreciate my efforts have a place to find me on RP. Just as there are those who will seek others on FLICKR, Smugmug or 500 PIX, ect. Shame about the majority that only see shots spoon fed to them.

/Mitch
Old 10-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #20
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Definitely, but only if your source for viewing images on RP is the front page. However, it's pretty easy to click by it to see what else has been uploaded for the day.
I'm with you, Jim, but unfortunately, the honest truth is that people do click on the To24 shots more than they would the thumbs that are buried underneath. A shot might take all day to garner 700 views, but will gather the next thousand in just a few hours when it appears on the home page. The thing that some of us used to like about RP was that it was almost a daily photo contest, to see who could come up with the most interesting images. Now, as Mitch indicates, it is no longer really a contest of image interest, it is a contest of who has the most Facebook followers or who can create the most blind links.

For today, RP has become Kevin Burkholder.net. His heavily linked shots have all 4 of the To24s and all three of the week's top images.....and I'm pretty convinced that he planned the timing of his uploads so that they would not interfere with each other's time at the top. He uploaded just enough so there was no space for anyone else to get any front-page exposure.

My RP stuff is here.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-13-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:56 AM   #21
Mberry

Quote:
I'm with you, Jim, but unfortunately, the honest truth is that people do click on the To24 shots more than they would the thumbs that are buried underneath. A shot might take all day to garner 700 views, but will gather the next thousand in just a few hours. The thing that some of us used to like about RP was that it was almost a daily photo contest, to see who could come up with the most interesting images. Now, as Mitch indicates, it is no longer really a contest of image interest, it is a contest of who has the most Facebook followers or who can create the most blind links.

For today, RP has become Kevin Burkholder.net. His heavily linked shots have all 4 of the To24s and all three of the week's top images.....and I'm pretty convinced that he planned the timing of his uploads so that they would not interfere with each other's time at the top. He uploaded just enough so there was no space for anyone else to get any front-page exposure.
Yep - I racked up over 1,000 views in under 24 hours with this shot, which would normally make it an automatic TO24. But with not 2, not 3, but 4 Burkholder shots ahead of me, a T024 was quite impossible.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 549851
Photograph © Michael Berry
Old 10-13-2015, 04:04 AM   #22
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
Yep - I racked up over 1,000 views in under 24 hours with this shot, which would normally make it an automatic TO24. But with not 2, not 3, but 4 Burkholder shots ahead of me, a T024 was quite impossible.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 549851
Photograph © Michael Berry
I went to bed last night with a shot in the 4th TO24 spot.

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 549792
Photograph © Doug Lilly

When I checked this morning, it was in the 7th spot. Guess which 3 photos had jumped past me?

I am fully expecting a continuous coverage of this loco's journey, culminating with a series of drone shots of it being dismantled inside Beech Grove shops.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #23
CSX1702

I'm really not concerned with linking. If you're so insecure you gotta post links all over the place, that's your problem.

My problem is...how many shots of the same freaking derailment do we need? And how much has he probably pissed off those Corman crews? "Here's a picture of the engine in the ditch. Now here's one taken from 7 feet to the right. Now here's one with one crane rope attached. And here's one with two crane ropes. And here's one with the R.J. Corman crews looking at me wondering while I'm still here."

Also says a lot about the average RP viewer. "Hey, here's the same shot I looked at yesterday, lets click it again!"

But really, I hate linkers. They're so shameless.
Now check this out:
GSMR Replica

Flickr

Out Of Place Album

Last edited by CSX1702; 10-13-2015 at 06:54 AM.
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
I'm really not concerned with linking. If you're so insecure you gotta post links all over the place, that's your problem.
I don't think Kevin is insecure - he's just doing what we all do - posting pictures and hoping for the largest audience. Some people work a little (or a lot) harder for it then others. The issue at hand is not specific to the poster, as those of us who post photos during the same screening can be assured a limited audience. Or at least, not the audience an otherwise noteworthy (non-derail, non-chick, non-Darwin) kind of shot can get on RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
My problem is...how many shots of the same freaking derailment do we need? "Here's a picture of the engine in the ditch. Now here's one taken from 7 feet to the right. Now here's one with one crane rope attached. And here's one with two crane ropes. And here's one with the R.J. Corman crews looking at me wondering while I'm still here."
I have never had any issues with too many images on RP... well, too many screened images. The more the merrier. Bring it on. It's not as though any of us are forced to click on an image. Why restrict yourself when it's so easy to scroll past? How can you have the "best photos on the net" if you only accept the first photos? I'll bet many folks were curious as to what had happened and Kevin did a spectacular job covering the event with photos much better then what could be found elsewhere - including Google and cable TV. When the D&H Sharks get released from captivity, I sure hope photos flood RP!

It's just a shame that some of the "best photos on the net" do not happen to be the pretty ones. And even more a shame the site is set up to promote linking. If there were no "Top of the last 24" there would be no linking. Tof24 likely started off as a way to promote the site by featuring the best images but it seems a motivator to others to create additional views. Rather then eliminate the Tof24 and such, I'd love to see "Top Favorited of last 24", or a formula which counts favorites and even comments with greater significance to the view count for placement on the front page. Imagine that - great photos that can still make the front page without a link or SC badge. For that to happen, RP would have to favor best images vs most views.

/Mitch
Old 10-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #25
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I went to bed last night with a shot in the 4th TO24 spot.

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 549792
Photograph © Doug Lilly

When I checked this morning, it was in the 7th spot. Guess which 3 photos had jumped past me?
I feel your pain, lol - at least you got to the front page!
I, too, posted during the Amtrak blitz....

It's been a week and this shot has yet to break 800 views:

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 549313
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

/Mitch