Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #51
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Agreed....good discussion. However, what's the point of using a wide angle to introduce distortion, only to use Photoshop to "undistort" the image?
No point, IF it was intentional. Travis's shot is obviously intentional and beneficial to the composition. It was done to exaggerate the height of the towering skyscrapers. Chase's pic is not as awkward almost having, though likely unintentional, fish eye effect. With Andrew's shot, the effect does not add in any way that I can see. It detracts. It simply looks like one of those shots where the flaw could not be worked around rather then an intent to capture a certain feel.

Quote:
I can accept that...and peddle my peaches somewhere else (or just let them rot in the basket) if I choose not to "undistort" my intentially distorted wide angle shots.
I'm just picturing shooting with you in the 60's and 70's and saying - "Hey Ron, you wanna use my Tilt-shift lens?". Bet more times then not, you'd have taken me up on the offer!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #52
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

Two prime examples that may best illustrated your perspective would be the rumbling and clicking of a record vrs the quiet and noise free CD. There, you have a defect that "adds" warmth and perhaps an "accurate" feel for the sound as recorded some of us grew up with.
You're going to like this. For many years I was deep into music production, mostly re-editing and remixing dance music tracks. Most of the time my source recording to work with was digital, either from a CD or digital copy of some sort from a record label. When I couldn't get that, I'd use a vinyl copy and then spend HOURS cleaning up all the record pops and crackles. Unlike some old schoolers, I couldn't stand the sound of record pops in my recordings!

I'm OCD. I can't help it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #53
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'm just picturing shooting with you in the 60's and 70's and saying - "Hey Ron, you wanna use my Tilt-shift lens?". Bet more times then not, you'd have taken me up on the offer!

/Mitch
Probably so. My camera equipment was so primitive back then I would have gladly used anything you had....tilt lens, tilt-a-whirl, or tilt death do us part.

This horse is officially dead.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #54
Ron Flanary

Before I sign off for the night...do you think this one would be accepted? I'm trying to get the hang of this lens correction stuff.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCF_0098.jpg (109.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #55
JimThias

Ron, which one do you prefer?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #56
JRMDC

It seems that some or many of those here are implicitly adhering to a one-way-is-right view. I prefer perspective controlled, but that is a preference. And, for that matter, there is often not one right way to do it. I think of shots that just look wrong without any tilt-in at the top, they look too wide, or thick may be a better way to put it. If you take away the tilt-in, you take away the natural perspective that has lines converging at infinity. Our brain processes that into verticality in real life because it knows what it is looking at. That applies more to wide angle verticals than horizontals, but it can apply then also, depending on the view.

And, frankly, a lot of wide angle is at its core a type of distortion, regardless of perspective correction. Our eyes see at a "normal" range. Now, that is hardly a hard relationship and our brain does a lot of work processing info, so we can "see" at the equivalent of any focal length to some extent, perhaps not instantaneously, but we can appreciate a view that is panoramic.

So don't be so doctrinaire on this stuff, my view. But my shots will be mostly lined up vertically, I like it that way.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #57
bigbassloyd

I think I'm catching on to what Ron is saying...

If something wasn't fixable in the old days, it wasn't a problem. It just was.

I can understand that line of thought. Why sweat something being level or distorted when there was absolutely nothing that you could do about it once the shutter went click (or snap, buzz, or whatever sound an old camera makes )?

Quote:
It seems that some or many of those here are implicitly adhering to a one-way-is-right view
I think there's a very fine line between artistic unlevel and level, and artistic distorted and ugly distorted. The middle "eh kinda sorta maybe" ground shots bug me. I'm ocd on it like Jim is. Either make it completely level, or turn the SOB sideways.. lol

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-23-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I like trains
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #58
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

They're both unlevel.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #59
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Looking at today's Wall Street Journal, we see blatently unlevel and/or distorted shots on pages: 3,8,10(2 of them), 12(2).

Twenty total pages, 6 unlevel and distorted photos.

Seem like journalism isn't all that concerned with these issues.

Jeez, there's a huge one on the front of section B.

Last edited by Hatchetman; 01-23-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #60
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Looking at today's Wall Street Journal, we see blatently unlevel and/or distorted shots on pages: 3,8,10(2 of them), 12(2).

Twenty total pages, 6 unlevel and distorted photos.

Seem like journalism isn't all that concerned with these issues.

Jeez, there's a huge one on the front of section B.
yeah, WSJ is where I go for the best photography..

brb, going to weather.com to find out who won yesterday in the NBA..

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #61
JRMDC

Here is a horizontal that I have always felt is top heavy, due to the correction. But one can think of it as an exception also, as it has an unusual amount of what I will call top mass relative to bottom mass.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 174510
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

I've never revisited the processing, but I have sometimes wondered how it would look with a bit of lean.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #62
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
but I have sometimes wondered how it would look with a bit of lean.
Gangsta

EOM

Loyd L.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #63
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
yeah, WSJ is where I go for the best photography..
Loyd L.
perhaps not. but they have circulation of 2.2 million and people actually earn a living taking those photographs.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #64
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Corrected and accepted.
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 387624
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #65
Missabefan

And as the debate rages on, the original in question has made it in.

So, which way did you go with it and what did you do to it?
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #66
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Corrected and accepted.
I like the adjusted version. I just hope you don't feel dirty.

Loyd L.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #67
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missabefan View Post
And as the debate rages on, the original in question has made it in.

So, which way did you go with it and what did you do to it?
I fixed the perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CUS-BeforeAfter.jpg (478.7 KB, 57 views)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #68
Ron Flanary

Quote:

Easy...the one on the right. However, that's a poor compositional choice for a wide angle lens. For sure, it doesn't work in every instance.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #69
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I like the adjusted version. I just hope you don't feel dirty.

Loyd L.
It looks fine....but I would view it as a sell-out. Sorry, guys...I hope we're all still friends!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #70
bigbassloyd

Quote:
It looks fine....but I would view it as a sell-out. Sorry, guys...I hope we're all still friends!
Personally, I think this is the best the forum has been in a long time (discussion wise). Valid (and invalid) points from both sides, and no ill feelings.

Loyd L.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 01-23-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: I forgot to quote Ron. Now I'm just typing to see if there is a limit to the amount of text you can type into this box. So f
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #71
jac_murphy

One thing that I've been wondering about for a while...

If you take a photo with a wide-angle lens tilted upward or downward (thus introducing additional perspective distortion into the image,) do you need to compensate by moving the leveling point either up or down in the image?

I ask because in this photo:

Image © Jacques Leblond-Murphy
PhotoID: 360199
Photograph © Jacques Leblond-Murphy

I remember leveling it off of the centermost grab iron on the locomotive, because it just never looked right if I picked a point farther up on the structure. (As a sidenote, I submitted it with a comment that I wasn't sure about the leveling, and in fact got a response that it looked good.)

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
One thing that I've been wondering about for a while...

If you take a photo with a wide-angle lens tilted upward or downward (thus introducing additional perspective distortion into the image,) do you need to compensate by moving the leveling point either up or down in the image?

I ask because in this photo:

Image © Jacques Leblond-Murphy
PhotoID: 360199
Photograph © Jacques Leblond-Murphy

I remember leveling it off of the centermost grab iron on the locomotive, because it just never looked right if I picked a point farther up on the structure. (As a sidenote, I submitted it with a comment that I wasn't sure about the leveling, and in fact got a response that it looked good.)

-Jacques
Yes, it's an excellent shot! And yes, you picked the right centering point.

I don't think this shot would be nearly as impressive had you used the lens correction tool to "straighten" the left and right vertical elements of the scene. This shot illustrates my point perfectly, I might add.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #73
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
perhaps not. but they have circulation of 2.2 million and people actually earn a living taking those photographs.
It's all about getting the photo in journalism, not perfection. That is evident in every newspaper across this country. The fact that the circulation is what it is and the photographers make a living at it is irrelevant. There are plenty of photographers working for podunk newspapers who could create the same quality level of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
I fixed the perspective.
The buildings in the background are still leaning inward. You may have reduced the wide angle effect, but you didn't "fix" it.

Quote:
Easy...the one on the right. However, that's a poor compositional choice for a wide angle lens. For sure, it doesn't work in every instance.
Well, the compositional choice wasn't the point of the demonstration. In fact, it was just a random shot I took several years ago that I decided to use one day for a before/after comparison shot with distortion correction. So, the fact that you prefer the one on the right means that you DO find correction acceptable, right?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 AM   #74
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Well, the compositional choice wasn't the point of the demonstration. In fact, it was just a random shot I took several years ago that I decided to use one day for a before/after comparison shot with distortion correction. So, the fact that you prefer the one on the right means that you DO find correction acceptable, right?
NO! I found the lens choice to be questionable for that type of shot (I know it was just a "quickie" to make a point). The "corrected" shot is what you would have gotten had you used a "normal" lens to begin with.

So....here's the big question: why use a wide angle lens if the objective is to use lens correction to make it appear as a normal lens shot? Why not throw away your wide angles and just use a normal all the time?

I reiterate: I personally like the (intentional) distortion of a wide angle lens. That's why I have one (actually more than one), and that's why I use them.
Why would I lose that effect by "correcting" it with Photoshop? I wouldn't...and most photographers I run around with, drink beer with, etc. wouldn't either. If that's what it takes to get RP to accept a wide angle shot---well, no hard feelings at all, but I just won't bother uploading any. And---we'll all remain friends.

By now, you should know I won't change my opinion. Old people just get more stubborn and ornery with each passing year.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #75
JRMDC

Quote:
So....here's the big question: why use a wide angle lens if the objective is to use lens correction to make it appear as a normal lens shot? Why not throw away your wide angles and just use a normal all the time?
C'mon Ron, surely you know better. Were you just sloppy?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots