Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
bigiron

Default Suggetions...New York's River Line

Hi again,

I'm hoping to free up some time soon and would like to drive down to the River Line section in the West Haverstraw to Kingston area and need advice on photo spots and train traffic.

Some of my thoughts are with tracks on both the east and west side of the river, which side generally has more traffic?

Is there a heavier flow north or south on either side during certain parts of the day and if so what areas are good using the light conditions?

Storm King overlook area, how much of a climb to get to the ideal spots and what kind of train traffic is there too?

I also like the views from the Bear Mtn area and would like suggestions for there too if possible.

Moving from spot to spot, how are the neigborhoods as far as user freindly ?

Any one that is familiar with the area please let me know your favorite spots or ones that you'd make time to check out ?

I know the train traffic is a guess at times but looking for the expected normal flows north and south and approximate # of trains a day to try to make a plan of attack.

Appreciate any help,

Thanks Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
jdirelan87

Rich -

General-
On the west bank of the is CSX's River Sub which is the main frieght line into New York City. It sports about 20-25 fright trains in a 24 hour period. However, last month it seemed busier than number, maybe 30 trains in a 24 hour period. Because its a single track line, trains are commonly "fleeted" into groups of 2-4 in the same direction. The morning tends to be more northbounds, followed by a low between 11PM-1AM, than southbounds till about 4PM, followed Northbounds waiting for the southbounds to clear.

On the east bank is Metro-North communter railraod's Hudson Line. It sports about 40-50 trains in a 24 hour period. Of that, 30-35 are Metro-North suttle trains and the rest are Amtrak Empire Corridor trains. Most MNCR and AMTK trains run around the same every hour. There are also a couple CSX locals (B750/B749) that work out of the Croton Yard on the Hudson Line.

This time of year, its pretty much southbound light all day except for early morning (at least on the River Sub) which is good because over all there are more southbounds (in daylight) than northbounds.

Strom King -
On the Riversub there is a road that goes right up to the famous overlook. Just get off 9W at the second (coming from the south) exit for west point. The only problem; the road is seasonal and closed when the snow starts. Thanks to the warm weather it was open in earlier January, not sure now.

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 137763
Photograph © John Ireland

Bear Mountain -
This is really "the spot." I would say there isn't a more senic section of track for 300 miles. Between MP43 and MP40 (for referance, Haverstraw is MP33) there are at least 20 great angles I can think of off the top of my head. Here are a couple of the more popular;

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 169653

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 130369

Image © John Ireland
PhotoID: 172031

Locals -
Most locals are use to seeing railfans (on the weekends) and between MP40-MP53 (Storm King) is mostly forest and mountains so you don't have to worry. However, 9W is a total speed trap and dripping with Cops of all sorts. I don' think there is a Riverline regular that hasn't got a ticket, myself included.

This replay is already getting too long, if you're intrested in more imformation about either the River Line or Hudson Line, feel free to email me off list - I have a bunch more photos and other useful information.

Hope that helps
John Ireland
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Devil 505

Don't forget about Fort Montgomery. It's just north of Iona Island and there are many excellent places to get shots.
Devil 505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
EdM

my favorite: North of Saugerties (West Camp), drive north (on 9W) and instead of going under the (single lane) RR just past the West Camp P.O., go up the hill pass the "no trucks" stop sign and park.. (mp 103.9+)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
rpl
Banned

Talking James

I am from Rhinebeck, across the river from Kingston. In Kingston there is a yard. It is small, and only like 4 locos are parked there. On a normal day about 40 trains come through. The main days are Saturday, and all the weekdays. Sundays only see about 10 trains, and in the yard there is not much action. Wilbur Trestle is also a "River Line Hot Spot". There is good action on all the days though.
rpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #6
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
I am from Rhinebeck, across the river from Kingston. In Kingston there is a yard. It is small, and only like 4 locos are parked there. On a normal day about 40 trains come through. The main days are Saturday, and all the weekdays. Sundays only see about 10 trains, and in the yard there is not much action. Wilbur Trestle is also a "River Line Hot Spot". There is good action on all the days though.

I don't know what Riverline you're talking about, there is certainly more than 10 trains on Sunday, 2 or 3 times more. Also, maybe there 40 trains on the very best days. Either you're talking about a different line or you have a very small sample size.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
rpl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I don't know what Riverline you're talking about, there is certainly more than 10 trains on Sunday, 2 or 3 times more. Also, maybe there 40 trains on the very best days. Either you're talking about a different line or you have a very small sample size.

Yeah, I do know what I am talking about. You, over in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, probably dont railfan in Kingston EVERY FUCKING DAY!
rpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Yeah, I do know what I am talking about. You, over in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, probably dont railfan in Kingston EVERY FUCKING DAY!
Hey, this is just the type of response we're coming to expect from you. Congrats! You sure put JD in his place. Wow.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
rpl,

"Sundays only see about 10 trains,"..... I've been there on two Sundays just recently and both days had over 15 during the daylight hours and if you add in the darkness hours it brings the total to over 25. Just a parade of 4-6 southbound and then northbound (or the opposite) would cover what you say is normal and my scenario seems to occur in the am hours right along. Even when I've just been at Selkirk Yard and north on weekends there has been plenty of trains heading south and heading north entering from the River Line into the yard so am a bit curious as to just 10 on Sundays. Selkirk yard I could see having a higher total as many trains don't go south below the yard and north of the yard along with the others.

My opinion on the normal day of 40 trains is maybe with the entire 24 hour day schedule. That being said it would be a real task for the TOM's even with the new sidings as trickling the trains each way seems to be a juggling act with even 15-20 during a solid day in the daylight as the flow seems to be always stopped in one direction by higher priority manifests!

I don't have the benefit of being close enough for a scanner reception being able to take daily notes and maybe that is what you do to make your statements and if so I'll stand corrected. But having been there on pretty much everyday of the week I see an average of 40 (could be 25-55 to make it an average) on the single mainline with the sidings a task that is a bit too demanding at the present setup from my experiences waiting for trains and listening to the scanner chatter.

Just wanted to weigh in and just wish your choice of words was a bit more appropriate to John's response!

Rich Clark
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Yeah, I do know what I am talking about. You, over in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, probably dont railfan in Kingston EVERY F..KING DAY!

Well rpl, tell me since you're such an expert on the area and seem to follow the CSX Riverline so much as your above quote says, why the below question posted on another thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Hey everyone on rp.net,

I just got a nice radio scanner to scan the railroads. But I need some train frequencies! The area is the Ulster county area. The City is Kingston and the State is NY.

Thanks!
Makes me wonder how you could jump up one side and down the other of John on this thread with an earlier comment with no scanner use unless you can sit trackside the entire day, day after day and visually see the different trains. So, how do you know what the train counts on average days are seeing you seem to be just starting to use a scanner? When in the Kingston area you can hear the constant horns and rumble of passenger trains across the river and one may not realize it's two different lines!

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Rich Clark
Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #11
Warren

Send a message via MSN to Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
According to this other thread you are 10 and not too bright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Im ten, am I a teen?
Make note of the link to the NSFan14 teen forum page, you may need it when you are banned like he is.
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:21 AM   #12
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Well, I see you took the high road on this one.

If you read my earlier reply I said that you probably haven't railfanned the line (seriously rail fanned that is) to have an accurate idea of the traffic levels on the line. Seems like I'm right, since as one poster already brought pointed out you are only 10.

Also, in case your wondering I've been seriously railfanning the Riverline (ie, scanner in hand recording symbols and times) since you were 5.

Finally, the only reason I posted my response in the first place was not insult you (which is apparently how you perceived it) but to make sure people considering rail fanning the Riverline have the correct information.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50
Thumbs up

I thought you had to be at least 13 to get an e-mail account???

hmmm oh well, better place without the language like that. Some people think it makes them look older and more mature but it is just the opposite. Good call by the admin/moderators on the ban
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
BNSF4682
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpl
Yeah, I do know what I am talking about. You, over in Pennsylvania and Connecticut, probably dont railfan in Kingston EVERY F$&@ING DAY!

Geez, ten year olds saying this? Kinda odd . I can also see why rpl was banned.
BNSF4682 is offline   Reply With Quote