Old 11-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
jnohallman

Default Bad cropping help?

Can this one be saved?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=982879082

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
JRMDC

Just a bit off the bottom is all it needs, I think. Cool shot, really shows what the machine does.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Yea, I like it ALMOST centered. Do what J said.

Ben
Old 11-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
jnohallman

Default No such luck

I recropped, and now not only do they not like the cropping, but they don't like the lighting either . . .

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=349112795

The shot is from a bridge over a tree-lined cut - there's not going to be any better lighting than this (which was mid-day). Do I try to fix the cropping and appeal, or give up? I really do like the shot of this piece of equipment at work . . .

Jon

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
asis80

I think the cropping is fine. Surely they don't want more on the top, it'll just look way too weird. The lighting, eh. I don't see the problem really. Technically yes it is backlit and technically yes they could have hit it with distracting shadows, but I think that they should look past that. Special equipment, just like derailments, should be easier to get in. I like it none the less, I would appeal.

Ben
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnohallman
I recropped, and now not only do they not like the cropping, but they don't like the lighting either . . .

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=349112795
I saw that coming. Either poor lighting or distracting shadows will work. Both of those are hard to get around, esp. on equipment that isn't really special and is probably on the same section of track as we speak. Don't appeal this one and if you have a chance, go back out and reshoot it.

Joe
Old 11-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I saw that coming. Either poor lighting or distracting shadows will work. Both of those are hard to get around, esp. on equipment that isn't really special and is probably on the same section of track as we speak. Don't appeal this one and if you have a chance, go back out and reshoot it.
Isn't really special? Hmm, there are very few ballast spreader shots on RP, and none with such an excellent view of the action, a perfect angle on it, looking down from above. In fact, I couldn't find any shot where it was evident that ballast was being spread. It isn't just the equipment, it is the equipment doing its job. Appeal!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Isn't really special? Hmm, there are very few ballast spreader shots on RP, and none with such an excellent view of the action, a perfect angle on it, looking down from above. In fact, I couldn't find any shot where it was evident that ballast was being spread. It isn't just the equipment, it is the equipment doing its job. Appeal!
I suppose that's why these forums are so great and so maddening; everyone has their own opinion. Without discounting yours, I stand by mine. It's a dime a dozen shot, easily recreated, though perhaps not with a down on look.

Joe
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Christopher Muller

The cropping is a bit tight on the sides for my taste.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
I suppose that's why these forums are so great and so maddening; everyone has their own opinion. Without discounting yours, I stand by mine. It's a dime a dozen shot, easily recreated, though perhaps not with a down on look.

Joe
Show us the dime.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Show us the dime.
I thank you for your support! If i had a dime for every time I've actually seen one of these in action in this neck of the woods, I'd have a whole $0.10 now.

Jon

Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

I don't see where it's that rare. Regardless, RP has shown us more than once that they don't care so much for rare if it's a sub par shot, the first Heritage shots notwithstanding. The shot here isn't entirely bad, but it's not that great either, evident by the fact that it's been rejected twice now.

Joe
Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 AM   #13
jnohallman

Quote:
I Both of those are hard to get around, esp. on equipment that isn't really special and is probably on the same section of track as we speak. Don't appeal this one and if you have a chance, go back out and reshoot it.

Joe
Unfortunately, there's no chance to go back and reshoot it because the equipment is not on the same section of track now, and won't be for who knows how many years. The ties were pulled, replaced, tamped and the ballast spread all in one day. That line is the old C&O main from Newport News west to the coal mines, and it sees four Amtrak trains a day (two each direction) plus at least a dozen freights during daylight hours (I've never bothererd to stay up and count overnight), so tying it up over any lenghty period of time would be a problem. I'm sure that's why the work got done so quickly. And unfortunately, the location that made the top down shot possible will never have "good" lighting. It's a tree lined cut, and I took that shot in full sun (no clouds) at noon. Oh well . . .

Jon

Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
I don't see where it's that rare.

Joe
Then show us other examples of it in DB.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
asis80

This has something kinda to do with this to the OP. If conditions aren't prime for an RP accepted shot, take video. This would have been a great video to see, all the action that you stated in the day. Situation like this, shadows, dark lighting, take video. That's what I have been doing lately. If its cloudy, or an area is in shadow, etc I'll take video. And I'll do this to areas that I've overshot. It doesn't waste the day and you still get to railfan, plus you can start making a mark over on RailVideos. Good luck!

Ben