Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
EdKrimmer

Default New to hobby, new to forums

I've always been fascinated by trains generally from afar though. I finally decided to make an effort shooting them with the Nikon D5100 I got last year. Naturally I found my way here and have a couple early questions for what seems like an experienced and knowledgeable group.

1)Suggestions on good discussions of what types of shots are not generally accepted. I can certainly see what folks like to see but what is considered dull or ordinary?

2)How come I can't seem to click on the links folks post on the forum? Always comes up "id not found" or similar.

Thanks in advance.
Ed
EdKrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Freericks
Met Fan

Welcome, Ed.

1) Ed - the basic rules for starters are to study the photos in the data base on do as you see. I know it seems like it's a good idea to go and do what hasn't been done, but like all media, you want to start by learning what others are doing. This includes shooting on sunny days, at times when the sun is low in the sky (winter days, or early or late in the day during the summer) with the sun directly behind you so that your shadow is pointing at the train. Keep the train framed so that it's not cut off and it's at 1/3rd point within the frame (not centered). If you do a search, there have been far more detailed descriptions written previously in the forums, but the basic beginner rules for photography will also work. It's all about proper framing and capturing light.

As to your second question, rejections are only kept for a short time, so most of the links you are clicking on have already been flushed out of the system.

Look forward to seeing your photos.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

This is the thread you want to read:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...ighlight=guide
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
EdKrimmer

Thank you Freericks for the encouragement and Hatchetman for the very useful link. I'm sure I'll gather the courage to submit some shots soon.
EdKrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKrimmer View Post
Thank you Freericks for the encouragement and Hatchetman for the very useful link. I'm sure I'll gather the courage to submit some shots soon.
What you need more than courage is fortitude. It won't feel pleasant to get rejected. It may happen often. Don't take it personally. Take the attitude of learning from it rather than getting frustrated by it. Especially the seemingly endless rejections where you fix one thing only to get nailed for another. Part of dealing with RP.

One thing you said, through, was "what is considered dull or ordinary". Don't worry about it! I don't know your skills as a photographer, but there is nothing wrong with starting out basic and simple and getting better over time, and for that matter getting used to the RP way of things (and remembering that it is not the only way to do things). RP is certainly full of ordinary shots, frankly, that is what many railfans shoot much or most of the time.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
troy12n

Look at what I do and say, and do the opposite would be a good start.