Old 06-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan
Default Whats so poor about it?

Whats so poor about this shot? Its' backlit, thats all I can think of...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=536614&key=0
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

The framing and composition look dead on to me. I know there are a shot or two like that in the database, so I tend to think the PEQ stems from the poor lighting. Maybe the screener wanted to stress there was no way ths shot was getting in. I think if the sun had been behind you, you'd have a sure fire winner.

Now for the caveat. This monitor sucks, so I can't see sharpenig issues very well. Also, on a shot like this, we need to see something in the viewfinder on the camera in the shot. Maybe you can in this shot, I don't know. But I like tis idea. Just try again with better lighting.

Joe
Old 06-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Chicago Railfan

Send a message via AIM to Chicago Railfan Send a message via Yahoo to Chicago Railfan

This is actually a second shot at it. First time was really bad, this time is better (in my opinion) and for the last time (third time's a charm) I'll work on it a little bit more. Better cropping, lower shutter speed, higher ISO, etc, etc.

This was the first try. Same camera I am shooting behind, but it was backlit.

Image © Chicago Railfan
PhotoID: 230313
Photograph © Chicago Railfan
Chicago Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
F40PH271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Railfan
Its' backlit[/url]
We have a winner!

Answered your own question, try it again when it isn't backlit, get a different screener, and it just might get in.
F40PH271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
alstom
Banned

I tried a similar shot not long ago!
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
nikos1

Does anyone else this kind of shot is getting a bit old?
Ive seen a few ones like it in the database, and then a good couple more that were rejected here on the forum. It was interesting at first but now its getting kind of repetitive.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #7
TAMR159

I'll be honest - I like the idea, but lose the angle. Continuing with the 3/4 "wedgie" shot, but simply placing something in the foreground in order to be "creative" when the train is backlit and has boring power isn't going to help your cause. In this case, the side was well-lit. Why not cross the tracks to your right and do a side-on shot, perhaps with the railfan taking video waving to the train with the head-end blurring by? You'd have better lighting, and a much better photo in my opinion, while still getting the video camera (and the railfan doing said videoing as a bonus). The blur would help make the shot dynamic, stressing the movement of the train. Just an idea...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1
Ive seen a few ones like it in the database, and then a good couple more that were rejected here on the forum. It was interesting at first but now its getting kind of repetitive.
I've seen a few wedgies, a few steamer specials, and a few good looking girls in train photos in the database too. Does this mean that they are getting old and they are not interesting anymore either? While maybe not a "new" perspective, at least its something different.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #9
Joe the Photog

I agree with EMT. Not getting old in my book at all.

Joe
Old 06-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1
I've never liked these types of shots. I just don't see the point of including a camera in your shot. The camera isn't all that interesting to look at, so I don't see why it belongs in a photo. I wanna see the results from a camera, not the camera itself.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I've never liked these types of shots. I just don't see the point of including a camera in your shot. The camera isn't all that interesting to look at, so I don't see why it belongs in a photo.
Mike, I couldn't agree more with you.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #12
Mike B.
Banned

haha, that shot was a joke with the guy who was taking the video. As you can see, I was screwed by a cloud so I decided to take the photo with my friend in it just for fun. After I took it I jokingly told him that I was going to put it on RP and he said that I should. I uploaded it expecting it to be rejected, only to be surprised that it got accepted.

However, my shot and the OPs shot are not the same. He shot a camera taking video, I shot a railfan taking video. Very different.

I should really go through what photos I have on here and take some of. I know of a few that I don't like and this one certainly qualifies as a 'stupid' shot. It was funny when it first got on there, but now it's just dumb.

Last edited by Mike B.; 06-15-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
However, my shot and the OPs shot are not the same. He shot a camera taking video, I shot a railfan taking video. Very different.
I know, I was just bustin' your balls.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #14
Mike B.
Banned

Yes, Jim, you are the devil.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
TAMR159

Quote:
However, my shot and the OPs shot are not the same. He shot a camera taking video, I shot a railfan taking video. Very different
Bingo. As you said, the camera alone is kind of boring...a railfan with the camera adds (somewhat) an element of interaction, and is a little more interesting. We all know what it looks like looking through a camera, but sometimes we need a reminder about how strange we look standing in the middle of a field taking photos of trains .
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I have yet to see one done 'right' so its not old in my book. It's frustrating screening these types of shots because "bad motive" doesn't qualify because it is a good idea and "bad angle" could be taken as "bad motive". I think including the camera and barely being able to see whats happening on the LCD isn't the best way. If you want that to be the subject of the shot than focus on it and make it known. I recall seeing one where the camera was taking up almost the entire frame and the LCD had the train perfectly positioned in it and the train was in the background but both were out of focus. It would be nice to see someone nail it 'perfectly' as it is interesting. Reminds me of a shot I submitted from Connecticut using a similar effect but I wasn't lucky enough to catch a train. Maybe thats what I should focus on getting right this Fall. . . .

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
I have yet to see one done 'right' so its not old in my book.
I agree with Andrew right there, when somebody finally nails this shot to the point where it's something more than just a picture of a camera with a blurry train in the background it's going to be one of my favorite shots. The problem is that once it becomes the "in" shot it's going to get cliche so fast it's not even funny. I've been pondering a similar type shot which should be pretty neat if I can pull it off. I'll have to work on it during the middle of the day when I'm at Tehachapi next weekend.