Old 07-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
LSRC Railfan

Default What's the Screener looking for?

Hi Everyone.

What's the screener looking for in this shot? Do I have too much dead space on the left? I doubt I will ever be able to take this shot again (the odds are minimal, almost impossible, that I will). How should I go about editing this or should I just let it go?

Rejected Image

Thanks,
-Jim
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Bob Pickering

I think it can be a bit challenging because each screener being human is going to look at things a bit differently than the other outside of blantant things like backlit etc.

I have had stuff submitted and rejected for bad angle and I recropped it a bit different to include more scenery and it get accepted and not only that be one of my top shots.

So it depends...

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Hi, Jim;

What's so special about this shot that you worry you won't be able to get it again? If it's the engine maybe being taken out of service, there are ten shots of this one in the database already. Otehrwise, all I see is the back of an angine put square in the center of the frame. Do you have a shot when it was further away from you?

Joe
Old 07-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Bob Pickering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan
Hi Everyone.

What's the screener looking for in this shot? Do I have too much dead space on the left? I doubt I will ever be able to take this shot again (the odds are minimal, almost impossible, that I will). How should I go about editing this or should I just let it go?

Rejected Image

Thanks,
-Jim
ON onto the question, I had this done to me with a Tri Rail DMU coming right at me. I got rejected for the same thing.

Well I had taken multiple shots and I had one more that had a bit more of a wedge and it got accepted. So maybe you took several shots with a slightly different angle. Maybe try that.

BP
Bob Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

I think the answer is in the rejection, the angel is probably to low compared to the subject.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
LSRC Railfan

Thanks guys. Yes the 181, my favorite engine on the road now that the 469 is gone, is at the end of it's life. The 181 rarely comes up to Alpena and seeing it long hood foreword was a real treat to possibly say goodbye to this engine. Plus I was using a borrowed XTi and got permission to be on the property for a better angle. For some reason I crouched down. I was using a 75-300IS and I (stupidly) did not change out the lens with the 17-40L when it was parked so I backed up until I got the full engine in the frame. I did get more pictures than that one from other angles so I might try those...they do have better lighting.

Thanks for your help,
Jim
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote