Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
Kilroy1313

Default No Banana ... ?

Wanna Banana ? Or not... That was more or less the question when I posted this shot. - And NO: I don't want to aggress anybody!

What do you think about this shot ? I like the composition, so I made the test:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=904437344
Sorry if I don't respond immediately: its about midnight over here, so be patient, I'll try my best tomorrow .
Train-Videos

Kilroy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
NYC Nick

I like the shot. The only thing I might do is crop it down a little, but that is a big maybe.
NYC Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Appeal (get it?) that one - if it gets accepted it's one of those shots that'll get a big pile of clicks.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:09 AM   #4
JRMDC

Having just about every other car in the shot be red really helps make the shot!

You might want to trim a bit off the right and bottom, moving the car from the center into a lower right rule-of-thirds position.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:08 AM   #5
WembYard

FWIW, I like the shot as well. There used to be an entire trainload of these vans running from Antwerp to Germany, but am not sure if it still runs - or, if it does, it might use different vans.

Try Janusz's suggestion for a crop, or appeal asking what it is that they don't like about it - it might just be that it isn't the person who screened its "cup of tea".
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy1313
Wanna Banana ? Or not... That was more or less the question when I posted this shot. - And NO: I don't want to aggress anybody!

What do you think about this shot ? I like the composition, so I made the test:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=904437344
Sorry if I don't respond immediately: its about midnight over here, so be patient, I'll try my best tomorrow .
"Yes, we have no bananas"........... I really like the shot also, but I like bananas because they have 'appeal'............. Crop and try again

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Kilroy1313

Smile I am positively surprised

First I thank you all for your input, I'm very pleased about the positive echo of my request. And I already made some try to make the picture better.
Until now I considered pictures rejected with "Poor Esthetic Quality" as definetely not interresting for RailPictures.net and did not retry submitting them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Having just about every other car in the shot be red really helps make the shot!
You might want to trim a bit off the right and bottom, moving the car from the center into a lower right rule-of-thirds position.
Thank's Janusz, but I must say that I do not really understand about that rule. I'm heavily occupied batteling with post-shooting work, which is still not my preferred thing (as you know from the forums: I am not the only one ).
Here my recent trial in the direction you all guided me (hope that this is the right direction and not the opposite!?):
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=955248924
Train-Videos

Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Thank's Janusz, but I must say that I do not really understand about that rule.
Ultimately the rule-of-thirds is completely simple, once you get it. The first, most basic part of it is simply don't put things in the center! Off-center is what you want.

Ultimately it is that simple. The rule-of-thirds is a subtle refinement. Say you move something over to the right a bit. Then, if your subject is two-thirds from the left edge and one-third from the right edge, your subject is in a horizontal rule-of-thirds position. Same for vertical.

So, if you start with a shot where the subject is right in the middle, and you crop the right side, in what is left the subject is necessarily closer to the (new) right edge compared to the left edge, and is about in a rule-of-thirds position.

Well, depending on how much you crop, it could be one-third of the way from the right, or one-fourth, or whatever. The most important thing is to get it off the center.

The rule of thirds also has the implication that one wants to be both off the horizontal center and the vertical center. But I have seen lots and lots of shots that only are shifted over in one dimension.

The other thing I should mention is that what matters is the center or focal point of the subject. So on a standard wedgie, one doesn't want the nose of the cab in the center. On a big subject, like here, a wide subject, certainly part of the car is over there at the 1/3 point already, but the car should be shifted over so the center point of the car is over there.

However, you may be in luck here as what they are now asking you to do is to increase exposure and not further re-compose or re-crop or whatever. So fix it and resubmit!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #9
Kilroy1313

Aha !? Ouch ! My brain feels like making waves or so. After some working day all this theory is difficult to digest. -> No, don't worry about me, I will survive this, but I agree that I will have to read and re-read your explanations more than the 2 times I did until now.
I think I just do not so bad when I take the pictures (as there are many years of shooting around), but in trying the right crop I do not that well as I should to.
I resume shortly: The place where you see the workers head in the foreground of my photo should be the place you indicated to me (right? or...):
Image © Kilroy1313
PhotoID: 235793
Photograph © Kilroy1313
Train-Videos

Old 09-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Aha !? Ouch ! My brain feels like making waves or so.
Just change the exposure on the current shot and leave the rest for another day.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #11
Kilroy1313

Oh, don't worry, I did so and if I saw well, the decision (it remained some longer in the queue as later added pic's) was not so easy, but:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1251460723

And so it shall be. I really don't see what I should tell the screeners as reason to appeal.
I still have some stuff to work on so I'll pass to the next one and who knows one other time it will work better.
Especially I wanted to show that my uploaded pictures vary from those accepted. Maybe this motivates somebody else in trying something new?
Thanks again for all encouragements !
Train-Videos

Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
J Douglas Moore

Quote:
[ I really don't see what I should tell the screeners as reason to appeal.
Tell them that we liked it and that bananas are not very well represented in the data base!

"Thanks for looking"

It is a proven fact that birthdays are good for you. The people with the most always live longer!
J Douglas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #13
Kilroy1313

Oh, sure, that's what I should maybe do (?).
So the screeners go BANANAS .
And I will be ban(n)aned (or so...?) . No, No, too risky.
Then you better watch this instead:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_nTlsTK7qo
= more funny without the risk of frustration.
P.S.: if only I knew how to imbed all this stuff... ???
Train-Videos

Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #14
jnohallman

Why don't the screeners just list all the reasons for a rejection at once? If a photo is underexposed, correcting that should leave an acceptable image, except that in this case correcting the underexposure produces a rejection for Poor Aesthetic (yes, I wish they would spell it right!) Quality. Was the image not of poor aesthetic quality before? One of the biggest frustrations I see here is that images get rejected, fixed, rejected for a completely different reson, fixed again - and so on. And then, when you ask why, some forum poster tells you that you're just too stupid to understand that there are basic, accepted rules. If only it really were that easy! Sorry, just my little rant for today. Maybe I need a banana!

Love the shot, BTW, even if the screeners don't!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
Kilroy1313

Question

I asked myself many times why there must be such a great use of time - some would even call this a waste of time, but I think this is too negative to say: and we photographers don't get a pay so its on a free basis: who don't like the system must try elsewhere.
BUT the fact, and this even for RailPictures.net is a great use of time even for the screeners and this partially because of unprecised rejection reasons.
It is not my money so I don't have to decide about this !
- The only answer I found seems to be some human liberty resulting in not making too much rules, - also a margin for eventual error. Than if the rules are too strict RP.net would be nearly forced in some cases to accept material, they not really want.
Am I right, am I wrong? Only the administrators will know.
I am of the same advice: if rejection reason could be a bit more precise there should be a gain of time for both: photographers AND screeners !
So, after all this I will close for today (and before I will get shot or banned/bannaned).
Train-Videos

Old 09-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Ultimately the rule-of-thirds is completely simple, once you get it. The first, most basic part of it is simply don't put things in the center! Off-center is what you want.

Ultimately it is that simple. The rule-of-thirds is a subtle refinement. Say you move something over to the right a bit. Then, if your subject is two-thirds from the left edge and one-third from the right edge, your subject is in a horizontal rule-of-thirds position. Same for vertical.
That is the best definition of the rule of thirds I have ever read.

If only someone had told me that 40 years ago!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #17
Kilroy1313

Wink I tried (nearly) everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Douglas Moore
Tell them that we liked it and that bananas are not very well represented in the data base!
So, now the banana is over-ripe.
At home we sometimes put them in the mixer to make some milk-shake of.
I tried by every mean to get it in:
I even took the courage to appeal by indicating your all interrest in this picture, but this ended up with another rejection, it seems there were a few more people needed to fulfill the expectations of the RP staff.
Then I even tried with smuggeling it through a new picture:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=580811&key=1183928030

I am not unhappy, knowing that random subject pictures are difficult to get accepted. And happy upon all your input to this trial.
And I will continue trying ! (So, now it's been said ! )
Train-Videos

Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #18
UP_1995

I like the shot very interesting car
UP_1995 is offline   Reply With Quote