Old 12-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
DaveJ

Default Just Wonderin'.

First rejection -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=999885&key=0

O.K. maybe too much open area on the right,so I'll go back to the crop that most people who've seen the shot seem to prefer -

Second rejection -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=146370823

so,too much bottom left ?

I'm not too bothered about the shot making it in really,but I would be interested in what other people think about the cropping. Is it actually "bad cropping" or is that the screeners way of politely telling me that no matter how its cropped,it ain't gonna make it ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
CN Railfan

The second one is much too centered for RP purposes. I tighter crop overall may show some signs of life.
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

The shot has some promise but the rail equipment is too in the center of the image. Try re-cropping the image by sing the "Rule of Thirds". Check out the link below for more about it:

http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rule-of-thirds

It will basically make your photo more visually appealing by guiding the viewers eyes down sight lines to where you want them to look.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I like the first version. I suspect they find the fence in the foreground too distracting.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
harrisonjh

Smile

There's not a great deal of landscape to play with here, but possibly a great deal of foreground clutter to get rid of. I'd try and focus on the unit and crop out anything that doesn't pertain to the unit and it's purpose: ballast cleaning. That crotchety looking old tree, just above, adds a bit of character for sure. What have you got left? Hopefully a winner.

Last edited by harrisonjh; 01-01-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: mis-spelling
harrisonjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
DaveJ

Rejection number three -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...=1000511&key=0

and I can well imagine that it's this sort of thing that gets people annoyed.After being kept dangling for a few days with bad cropping,and eventualy sorting that out (maybe !!),to get hit with a PEQ is,frankly,very dissapointing.
I don't mind the PEQ,I don't mind the bad cropping,it's their site and their decision,but really - a bad cropping rejection raises hope that maybe the shot will get in,a PEQ pretty much kills any hope. I'd much rather have the PEQ first off,at least that ends the chances there and then.
Quite possibly different screeners seeing with different eyes,although that raises the question,if you get a PEQ,is it worth trying again in the hope that you get a more sympathetic screener who maybe likes your shot ?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJ View Post
Rejection number three -

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...=1000511&key=0

and I can well imagine that it's this sort of thing that gets people annoyed.After being kept dangling for a few days with bad cropping,and eventualy sorting that out (maybe !!),to get hit with a PEQ is,frankly,very dissapointing.
I don't mind the PEQ,I don't mind the bad cropping,it's their site and their decision,but really - a bad cropping rejection raises hope that maybe the shot will get in,a PEQ pretty much kills any hope. I'd much rather have the PEQ first off,at least that ends the chances there and then.
Quite possibly different screeners seeing with different eyes,although that raises the question,if you get a PEQ,is it worth trying again in the hope that you get a more sympathetic screener who maybe likes your shot ?
I honestly don't get the PEQ. This is ridiculous. It's something different besides the endless parade of GEVO's in America, but apparently they don't care.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
coborn35

What a stupid PEQ? How is not something they wanna show? Chase?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
harrisonjh

Don't give up. Sometimes you can make all of the improvements to a shot that the screener suggests and get rejected finally, for not being sharp enough. So you sharpen it, thinking all the while that it will make it through and when you re-submit they give you a PEQ. The final blow.

I like what you did with the cropping on the third attempt. Being new here myself and with a long list of rejections to prove it, I've decided not to take it too seriously. Will get out there tomorrow and get a few shots that will work.

All the best in the New Year.
harrisonjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #10
Mr. Pick

Dave, hang in there. You never know when the rejection monster will strike. I got one rejected today that I thought was a chip shot. Keep plugging! I'd like to see this one get on just because the subject is so unique.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
DaveJ

I've played around with the image again,but I can't settle on a version that pleases me. I like the 3rd version the best,but just why it deserves a PEQ is way beyond me.
It's somewhat unfortunate that in instances such as this,you never get to find out just what was in the screeners mind at the time.
Time to put this one aside methinks - onwards and upwards.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

The cropping is pretty bad in all versions, maybe worse in the PEQ. I understand your frustration about the screeners. I was feeling the same way about a month ago. But yuo have to shoot and crop the shot as if it were a train. And this one is cropped very bad with no regard to the Rule of Thirds. There's way too much sky and way too much on either side. In one or two versions, the thing is too close to the bottom of the frame.