Old 10-11-2006, 11:42 PM   #26
Studogg120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
Comment for Studogg120,

Admiring your photo, here what i would do next time, the shot is awesome but needs different light, make sure you take it when you have a good light directly behind you. Try moving closer, take tree trimmers and hack that bush out of there, trust me the railroad wont mind. Or just go up to it and smash it down with you feet. Take some steps to the left so that pole isnt in the shot, very distracting. That should do it. Its great work but there is always a next time.

Thanks for the advice, but thats not my photo. Its "Save the Wave"s photo, I was just commenting on his photo.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #27
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Lots of good points made above!

I try and avoid taking hte 3/4 if I can. But I do literally have 1000 wedgies in my archive for roster purposes. Personally, I think its fun to get away from the wedge. Look at some of my pics from this year vs. when I first started, for example. Take this shot for example:

Image © Mike Bjork
PhotoID: 145603
Photograph © Mike Bjork

Note the slope I'm on. Im standing in about 1' deep loose gravel and dirt, about 100' up to the trail and 50' down to a cliff (about 50' tall) into the water. A little more fun to get this shot than a wedgie. I have a lot of crazy stories in this department. Call me nuts, but I like to put a little risk, personality, and excitement into each shot. Im in it for the rush of nailing that one photo, and a wedgie will come for roster reasons or lack of time.

Here is my personal theory on uploading wedgies for this site. I will upload a wedgie if it meets one or more of the following criteria:
1) Angle of attack is greater than 30 degrees
2) The RR or the RN series is not repersented
3) If a similar shot doesnt exist
4) If the scenery is awesome or unique
5) The shot has some sort of sex appeal

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #28
a231pacific

Mike,

Nice shot! I've admired some of your shots at that bridge before. Now I know that if I ever get a chance to shoot there, I'll need to bring a climbing rope!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #29
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
But having 500 photos of wedgies in as a photographer shows one thing, a lack of creativity and ambition.
Or, in some cases here on RP, a fear of rejection.

It is about what your personal goals are for your photography. If your goal is to shoot for the love of the hobbie or trains, or you just enjoy getting out of the house for a few hours, and acceptance to RP's database is the furthest from your mind, then you more than likely will push the envelope and challenge yourself with something other than a wedgie.

However, it seems those who put RP acceptance at the top of their photography goals, tend to use the wedgie shot, and are usually less willing to try a more creative shot or angle. But if that is what they want to do, then more power to them.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:38 AM   #30
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoydie17
Maybe I just hold my work to a higher standard, maybe it's my work that's sub-standard, that will be judged by history in 10 or 20 years, not in forums that people will have forgotten about 6 months from now.
I really like this line, Sean.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #31
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Note the slope I'm on. Im standing in about 1' deep loose gravel and dirt, about 100' up to the trail and 50' down to a cliff (about 50' tall) into the water. A little more fun to get this shot than a wedgie. I have a lot of crazy stories in this department. Call me nuts, but I like to put a little risk, personality, and excitement into each shot. Im in it for the rush of nailing that one photo, and a wedgie will come for roster reasons or lack of time.
I have to heartily agree with this. I love having to work for my shots. Many of my first shots have some kind of story like this behind them, and many continue to. For example, this weekend, I, along with Joe LeMay and Glenn Davis, ended up chasing the Argonne Local. The trail through Waterfall Glen more or less parallels the Argonne branch, and we all chased it from different points and each got shots from at least two locations while chasing it on bike. Even when it's goin' 10 mph, it's still pretty hard to beat them on bike!

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #32
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
Lots of good points made above!

I try and avoid taking hte 3/4 if I can. But I do literally have 1000 wedgies in my archive for roster purposes. Personally, I think its fun to get away from the wedge. Look at some of my pics from this year vs. when I first started, for example. Take this shot for example:

Image © Mike Bjork
PhotoID: 145603
Photograph © Mike Bjork

No denying that's a great shot, but you will have to forgive those of us who simply do not have any scenery that comes close to that. I can sit here all day and say I'm not going to shoot a wedgie, but in the Carolinas, most tracks are sided by trees or buildings on both sides. If not, then it's a straight tangent of track. (North Carolina has a section of track that is totally straight for more than 70 miles.) Never mind the scenery on those tangents of track.

Once again, if I had that kind of view or the kinds of scenery some folks get overseas or out in Colorado, I'd be more than happy to oblige those of you putting the wedgie down.

Joe
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #33
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
I have to heartily agree with this. I love having to work for my shots. Many of my first shots have some kind of story like this behind them, and many continue to.
I agree, photos are a lot more interesting with a story behind them. I rarely click on a photo without remarks unless it is scenic or something worth to look at. Most of the time this is not true though.

Quote:
For example, this weekend, I, along with Joe LeMay and Glenn Davis, ended up chasing the Argonne Local. The trail through Waterfall Glen more or less parallels the Argonne branch, and we all chased it from different points and each got shots from at least two locations while chasing it on bike. Even when it's goin' 10 mph, it's still pretty hard to beat them on bike!
Try chasing on foot! Got the train pulling into town on th east side, decided it would be impossible to get around the firetrucks in the car so I took off runnin. I had to run past the police car and firetruck pacing the train. I got some strange looks but was it worth it:
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 127989
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I think so. HEY LOOKS ITS A WEDGIE! LOL

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:31 PM   #34
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studogg120
What you need to do is kill the branch!!!
Don't get me started on stuff beside the track. Don't railway realise there are railfans??? :P

Put a mower, chain saw, wire cutters, step ladder, etc in the tool kit and you'll be fine!

I think that we have all improved as photographers through these forums, screener comments, ideas from mates, and this has contributed to the overall quality of RP.Net.

I mean, just take a look at two photos I first uploaded *runs to hide*

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 54836
Photograph © Michael James

Image © Michael James
PhotoID: 54878
Photograph © Michael James

I have been abused and threatened by train crew and station staff who claim photography on QR Property is prohibited. It is unfortunate for them, that they have no policy written down on paper to show me. So, I let them call the Police (Rail Squad) who have bigger fish to fry than harassing a guy with a vest and camera on a station platform.

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.

Last edited by MichaelJ; 10-13-2006 at 11:34 PM.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote