Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
KB3Man

Default Little stumped..

It's getting to the point where, its like.. Why bother coming here anymore. Where to start, I get a nice and wonderful gift for Christmas, Canon Powershot SX100 IS. Shoots and the pictures look great, to me, my father and all the people who view my Flickr. My photos come out in 1600x1200, I'm a Gamer, so higher the res, higher the quality (duh). But then, after trying to upload pics back in 2007, i gave up here.. Came back with a BETTER camera, and what i get... more rejections.

Before I show you the images, I am sure there is 1 or 2 nice people on this site, that will help. Due to your wacky photo size limits, you ruin my images.. Makes them look like crap, thanks.. Maybe someone could help resize for me..

Here are my original shots... **NOTE, I did nothing to change these, right off the camera**

1) http://bigimageshost.com/images/5dzj...o5j65q476y.jpg
2) http://bigimageshost.com/images/0bc0ccdmxlyn7b7hacx.jpg
3) http://bigimageshost.com/images/94b6...1w9gtuzxfe.jpg
4) http://bigimageshost.com/images/rp206uten4rb1hquht.jpg

Quite sad, that they all get rejected, Why? Digital Manipulated, Poor Image quality.. When I DID NOTHING TO CHANGE THIS IMAGES..

Good Day
KB3Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
JRMDC

Just a quick few points, for now. First of all, you have an 8mp camera yet you are shooting at 1600x1200? That is a mistake, shoot at the maximum image size and image quality. The files should end up 3264x2448.

Second, you have poor light issues, "high sun" at times, backlit/no nose light at times. I think that 1, 2, and 3 are not getting on, just because it was a bad time to shoot and your position didn't work (didn't choose a shooting location where the nose and side of the train would have light on them). As for 4, I need a better monitor to judge.

Don't get frustrated, sometimes the light at a particular time does not favor you. But there are two big steps you need to take:

- LEARN YOUR CAMERA!!!

- learn to recognize where light is coming from and how it looks before you choose your shooting location

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB3Man
Shoots and the pictures look great, to me, my father and all the people who view my Flickr.
OK, and not to be insulting, but RP has a high standard for photo quality, exposure, light, etc. I would say that whoever looked at these four shots and said they look "great," including yourself, does not look at shots with a sufficiently critical eye to judge whether they are RP-worthy. They are fine for friends and such, ok snapshots, but not better.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
KB3Man

Well then thats fine, I'll go else where, no wonder why Trains mag made fun of you guys.
KB3Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
Darryl Rule

Another satisifed customer.

It's ashame, your pictures weren't that bad, and J was trying to give you some tips, but like most people who have your mindframe, you pop off and then run away. Good luck. You'll be missed.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
JRMDC

I was trying to help!

BTW, KB3, at least be clear in the target of your venom. Don't blame RP. I have no affiliation with them; I only participate on a forum their website hosts.

Also, I would like a reference to where in Trains they make fun of RP. Or did you make that up, or is it a common story going around that happens not to be true?

Ah, but Darryl is probably right, you have your mindset. Sorry I wasted my time trying to help. Sorry you came to the forum looking for help without being willing to accept it.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
scottychaos

your pictures are..ok
they are..fine.

not great, not terrible.

as for your camera, you seem to think that having a newer, better camera will somehow increase the odds of your pics being accepted..

not the case at all..the camera itself is irrelevant.
only the person behind the camera can create a great image.

I dont have many photos accepted here, (but I dont submit a lot either..)
but the photos I do have accepted here have been taken with a 3 megapixel camera made in 2001.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=4669

(the 1980's photos are neg scans..)

That 3 megapixel camera is still more than sufficient.
I will only replace it if it stops working.

Scot
scottychaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
PLEzero

Quote:
Well then thats fine, I'll go else where, no wonder why Trains mag made fun of you guys.
53 Minutes. That must be some sort of new record. Congratulations on your accomplishment. Seeing as how you have no interest in learning something in life I guess its better you just stick to sitting in your basement playing WOW and Halo. Have a nice day!
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
lock4244

With good nose light, #1 and #3 would have a good chance of getting in. I think #2 and #4 would get dinged for Composition... even if perfectly lit.

If at first you don't succeed, give up? All other variables unchanged, it's foolish to think better equipment will yeild better shots. You should study shots that get accepted into RP and compare them to your own. Lighting is the key...

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
Well, I'll be looking for your fine work on the cover of next month's issue

Look, there are a ton of folks here who would love to help you out. They'd tell you that your camera settings are wrong, that you need to understand light, and that you need to spend a few hours learning how to use an image editor. There are plenty of n00bs that have come through here, asked questions, listened to what the other folks had to say, and learned how to take excellent photos.

Interesting comment about Trains mag too - they publish several shots every issue that wouldn't make the cut here.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #11
Ween

This is probably a lost cause, but there are people willing to help...if you'll listen. So, here's what I got (I can't see the images, FWIW):

a) The Canon Powershot SX100 IS is more than capable of producing RP-quality shots. Learn your camera; read the manual.

b) Having your camera produce 1600x1200 pixel images is not good. Shoot at the highest resolution possible and work from there. If your wanting to upload at RP at that size, well, they don't support that option yet.

c) Based on the fact you asked for help resizing and then saying you did nothing to change the images tells me you don't have adequate post-processing software. I'd suggest the latest PS Elements, but there's also several freeware editting programs that produce satisfactory results.

d) TRAINS made fun of RP or the people on their forums did? Regardless, bickering about RP does nothing to change the fact that RP continues to grow and help people in this hobby.

e) The friend and family test. Your friends and family will not give you the critical feedback you need to grow in this hobby. Don't believe me? Create something intentionally bad, a photo or a short story, and put in obvious errors. I guarantee your friends and family will give a more rosey critique than someone who has no vested interest in your feelings.

f) Accepting criticism. It's a part of life. The people who run this site and enforce the standards no doubt have more experience than you do. Many of us on the forums have had success at RP so we have the experience to help others. Sometimes in life you need to realize there are many others who have blazed the trail before you, and the wise learn to listen and the foolish point the finger and blame others and get upset while their problem/issue never gets fixed. Right now, it looks like you're in the latter category, and that's too bad.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #12
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

Quote:
More than likely, you will forever be stuck in your sub-par photo rut. One thing you have to learn is that all photos, no matter how good they are when they come out of your camera, need to be edited. Regardless!

I shoot with a S3-IS, produced a few years before your camera. I have 50+ photos on the database that were taken with it. I'll say one thing, without a photo editor, these photos would have never stood a chance of making it on. They are all soft and have a flat look to them. Your's appears to be in the same boat. Contrast is always added and sharpening is always used.

All the above typing was probably a lost cause, as Ween pointed out. But, who knows. Someone else might be able to use it.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Ween

BTW, just wanted to show the other thread that KB3Man started. Note all the mean people who chimed in to offer help [/sarcasm]:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=5766
Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
This is probably a lost cause, but there are people willing to help...if you'll listen. So, here's what I got (I can't see the images, FWIW):

a) The Canon Powershot SX100 IS is more than capable of producing RP-quality shots. Learn your camera; read the manual.

b) Having your camera produce 1600x1200 pixel images is not good. Shoot at the highest resolution possible and work from there. If your wanting to upload at RP at that size, well, they don't support that option yet.

c) Based on the fact you asked for help resizing and then saying you did nothing to change the images tells me you don't have adequate post-processing software. I'd suggest the latest PS Elements, but there's also several freeware editting programs that produce satisfactory results.

d) TRAINS made fun of RP or the people on their forums did? Regardless, bickering about RP does nothing to change the fact that RP continues to grow and help people in this hobby.

e) The friend and family test. Your friends and family will not give you the critical feedback you need to grow in this hobby. Don't believe me? Create something intentionally bad, a photo or a short story, and put in obvious errors. I guarantee your friends and family will give a more rosey critique than someone who has no vested interest in your feelings.

f) Accepting criticism. It's a part of life. The people who run this site and enforce the standards no doubt have more experience than you do. Many of us on the forums have had success at RP so we have the experience to help others. Sometimes in life you need to realize there are many others who have blazed the trail before you, and the wise learn to listen and the foolish point the finger and blame others and get upset while their problem/issue never gets fixed. Right now, it looks like you're in the latter category, and that's too bad.
Really well stated, Chris.

Also, J... sorry to see you get that feedback when you went to the trouble of trying to help.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
BTW, just wanted to show the other thread that KB3Man started. Note all the mean people who chimed in to offer help [/sarcasm]:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=5766
Huh! I didn't make that connection. Back then at least, he was a local, an hour or two west of me.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #16
KevinM

Hey KB3Man,

If you're still reading this thread.... Please don't give up so easily.

THE single, most important thing you need to become a good photographer isn't an expensive camera. It's patience. One thing I've learned over my 50 years is that few of the good things in life appear overnight. There's a lot more to good photography than most "normal" folks know. It takes time to learn the principles and gain the skills to do it right.

The guys are right about RP.net. The quality level that's expected here is way above what most "normal" folks recognize as good. Getting shots accepted here is a great goal, but there's a journey involved and it takes time. I've been shooting pictures since I was a kid and until 6 months ago, I didn't have anything in my porfolio that would qualify for RP...seriously! Stuff I thought was good was backlit, sidelit, dead-center, high sun...all kinds of bad things I didn't even recognize. Now, I have over 100 shots here and my stuff is at least OK. 95% of my improvement came from studying the great pictures here and talking to the very guys who have responded to this thread. Listen, read, practice and compare your work to what you see here. Be hard on yourself....it may not help you live forever , but it will make you better at whatever you choose to do in life.

Stepping into RP as your first foray into rail photography is a bit like a go-kart racer entering the Indy 500. It's gonna be a bit overwheming....for at least a while.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Not a bad eye , he will be back i think. just need to work on picking better light mostly

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 AM   #18
khalucha

I have my photos posted on Webshots and have had a lot of people download the pictures. I thought a few were RP worthy but they are not, and I see why now after someone explains it to you. The pictures you took are not a loose so just add them to your personal collection.

If I get one or two of my photos posted on here, great! If not, I will not loose any sleep over it. I will keep shooting away though. These guy will help you. I have learned a lot but still have a ways to go.

Best advise I have received from here, "Shoot Manual." Honestly is sucks a first, but pictures with a digital camera are cheap compared to film. Go out and learn manual. My pictures have improved a lot from shooting in the preset modes. They still are not RP worthy but a lot better than before.

The guys on here are more than willing to help and point you in the right direction. You just need to be willing to listen and learn from their critiques with out getting affended.

Just my 2 cents.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #19
AZdude

Default I agree with Kevin

I totally agree with Kevin although I shoot most of the time on AV with my 20D. Look KB3 nobody gets better with an attitude like that. Just roll with the punches dude. I wish this website was around when I first started railfanning. I would have saved alot of time and film. So take a deep breath take your lumps and keep trying.
AZdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
sd9

Quote:
Due to your wacky photo size limits, you ruin my images.. Makes them look like crap, thanks.. Maybe someone could help resize for me..

The photo size limits are not "wacky" and they have nothing to do with ruining your images, sounds like you have a lot to learn
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #21
rpalmer
RailPictures.net Crew

Quote:
It's getting to the point where, its like.. Why bother coming here anymore. Where to start, I get a nice and wonderful gift for Christmas, Canon Powershot SX100 IS. Shoots and the pictures look great, to me, my father and all the people who view my Flickr. My photos come out in 1600x1200, I'm a Gamer, so higher the res, higher the quality (duh). But then, after trying to upload pics back in 2007, i gave up here.. Came back with a BETTER camera, and what i get... more rejections.

Before I show you the images, I am sure there is 1 or 2 nice people on this site, that will help. Due to your wacky photo size limits, you ruin my images.. Makes them look like crap, thanks.. Maybe someone could help resize for me..

Here are my original shots... **NOTE, I did nothing to change these, right off the camera**

1) http://bigimageshost.com/images/5dzj...o5j65q476y.jpg
2) http://bigimageshost.com/images/0bc0ccdmxlyn7b7hacx.jpg
3) http://bigimageshost.com/images/94b6...1w9gtuzxfe.jpg
4) http://bigimageshost.com/images/rp206uten4rb1hquht.jpg

Quite sad, that they all get rejected, Why? Digital Manipulated, Poor Image quality.. When I DID NOTHING TO CHANGE THIS IMAGES..
Good Day
How about a little honesty here. If you did nothing to change the images, them why didn't you post links to the rejected images ? The answer is - you DID change the images. Posting links to the rejected images would make it obvious why you received the stated rejection. Also - the people in the forums would be able to help you. I guess it's more fun to get attention by complaining.
The rejected images:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=947507494
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=468259918
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=561864&key=0
Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #22
Railfan Ohio

Its no wonder he thinks the sizes are wacky, when he resizes, he compresses his shots horizontally. That also leads to the digital manipulation.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 AM   #23
Carl Becker

Well, I can agree with one thing here, the SX100 is a great camera, that I happen to use...

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18550

Now that I look back at the thread linked, I see that you happened to link to my shots when I was using the A540.

Quote:
I like the Canon one, due to this guy on here as the A540, and he takes nice shots, with good Image Quality.
--> thats his profile
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18550
I find it, wow, very, very ironic that you happen to be the only other person I know of here so far that uses my current camera. It's very capable of good results. I hope you really would try to use it to its maximum potential. I have almost 100 photos in the database from it. Hopefully you can accept the constructive criticism on these forums and try again. Be sure you shoot at 8 MP. You'll see the difference.

~Carl Becker

Last edited by Carl Becker; 08-16-2008 at 03:39 AM.
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:45 AM   #24
wab1189

HOLY COW!! Did CSX start up a narrow gauge railroad?
wab1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #25
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab1189
HOLY COW!! Did CSX start up a narrow gauge railroad?
The results sort of remind me of MSPaint use...

Demonstrated here:

http://forums.railpictures.net/showt...aint#post47891
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote