Old 12-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
ccaranna

Default To the non-Elite membership

I'm kind of surprised by the number of regulars in the forum that aren't Elite members. I've been one as long as I can recall. I let my subscription lapse for a couple months only to rejoin soon afterward. I'm sorry, but I can't stand the ads (pop-ups or not).

How do the non-Elite members deal with the ads? (JRMDC, Jim Thias, Mike B., Joe the Photog, and any others I may have missed)
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
chico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
I'm kind of surprised by the number of regulars in the forum that aren't Elite members. I've been one as long as I can recall. I let my subscription lapse for a couple months only to rejoin soon afterward. I'm sorry, but I can't stand the ads (pop-ups or not).

How do the non-Elite members deal with the ads? (JRMDC, Jim Thias, Mike B., Joe the Photog, and any others I may have missed)

simple. just click the little "X" in the top right corner of the ad.
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
ccaranna

No, I'm referring to the ads that are on every page and when you open a picture, not drop down ads.

That's OK, I don't think anyone I was addressing wants to answer anyway. No big deal.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Smile

Simple, maybe times are tough for some who cannot spend the extra cash for the Elite membership, or, they don't feel that the Elite membership benefits them.

-- Kevin
TheRoadForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Mike B.
Banned

Quote:
That's OK, I don't think anyone I was addressing wants to answer anyway. No big deal.
Give it some time! I use Firefox with the adblocker so I don't see many of the ads, but the real reason I use adblocker is so that I don't get popups. I don't mind ads very much as long as they don't block content or make noise. Also, they make enough money off my photos, I don't need to give them any and an elite membership would not be of use for me.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
Give it some time! I use Firefox with the adblocker so I don't see many of the ads, but the real reason I use adblocker is so that I don't get popups. I don't mind ads very much as long as they don't block content or make noise. Also, they make enough money off my photos, I don't need to give them any and an elite membership would not be of use for me.
I agree with Mike on this one. Except that I've been too lazy to install adblocker. Plus, being in college, I think to myself, I could either get an elite membership, or I could get a pizza. The pizza always wins. Or something like that.

Pretty much the only Pentax Shooter.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopes09
I agree with Mike on this one. Except that I've been too lazy to install adblocker. Plus, being in college, I think to myself, I could either get an elite membership, or I could get a pizza. The pizza always wins. Or something like that.
*A* pizza? Geez, are you buying pies imported straight from Italy or what?

But, in all fairness, I have to agree...pizza before an elite membership. You can always wait until tomorrow to upload...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Let's not forget, too, that the Elite membership was only implemented after numerous requests from users who wanted to remove ads from the pages while still supporting the site. Features like the daily upload limit were added later, and were done due to the ever-increasing number of photo uploads and our inability as a small team to go through 1000+ uploads per day.

We definitely appreciate our Elite members' support, but we're also well aware that it's not the thing for everyone. If I were in college, the pizza would definitely win, too. We're appreciative of everyone who submits photos, views the site, and has helped build RP.net into the largest rail interest site on the net today.

On a final note, regarding ad blockers... well, in the long term, the only people those hurt will be the people who've come to enjoy sites like this one. Our expenses run almost $2000 per month, and if the income doesn't cover those expenses, what incentive do we have to keep the site going? I put enough work into this thing on a daily basis without coming out of my pocket to pay for it, too.

TrainOrders (love it or hate it) has proven that, even in the world where "everything's free on the internet," a site that provides value to its users can succeed and even excel with a pay-to-play model. I'd certainly hate to see RP.net go that way, but if ad blockers keep becoming more and more "en vogue," I don't see any other viable option for the long term future of this, and many other internet sites.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:

I use Firefox as well and the ads don't usually bother me. Once in a while I'll get the obnoxious "CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU JUST WON blah blah blah" ad that freaks me out becuase I usually have my sound system on, but lately it hasn't been bad. heh heh
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
Christopher Muller

The only ads I can't stand are the ones that are full screen ones that lock up the page when clicking to a new page or when you are going to the next page of photos. Those ads are annoying, you have to wait for the count down to zero or click "skip ad" when it finally pops up. The one pop up per day isn't too bad.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
Slopes09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159

But, in all fairness, I have to agree...pizza before an elite membership. You can always wait until tomorrow to upload...
Ok, well, maybe 1.5 good pizzas. About 6 cheap, horrible tasting ones that I'd only eat if they were free.

Sorry, mind's going. Finals week.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:47 AM   #12
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
If I were in college, the pizza would definitely win, too.
Well I am in college but since I can make pizza from scratch, the RP Elite membership wins. For me though I didn't care to much about the ads, I don't remember seeing many either, I wanted to support the site, plus I like the unlimited uploads.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 AM   #13
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Thumbs up

Lets be real people, who gives two squirts of piss over the "pop-ups" or ads?! If we want to see the best, we will deal with it, end of story. The person who started this post obviously does not realize this.......... RP Elite or not, we will get our daily fix of great photo's! Read my first post on this thread if you need further info.

-- Kevin
Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #14
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159

I agree with Nick, what was the point of this thread?? I'm sorry if I seem harsh but most seem to deal with it......

-- Kevin
Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #15
TheRoadForeman
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy
Let's not forget, too, that the Elite membership was only implemented after numerous requests from users who wanted to remove ads from the pages while still supporting the site. Features like the daily upload limit were added later, and were done due to the ever-increasing number of photo uploads and our inability as a small team to go through 1000+ uploads per day.

We definitely appreciate our Elite members' support, but we're also well aware that it's not the thing for everyone. If I were in college, the pizza would definitely win, too. We're appreciative of everyone who submits photos, views the site, and has helped build RP.net into the largest rail interest site on the net today.

On a final note, regarding ad blockers... well, in the long term, the only people those hurt will be the people who've come to enjoy sites like this one. Our expenses run almost $2000 per month, and if the income doesn't cover those expenses, what incentive do we have to keep the site going? I put enough work into this thing on a daily basis without coming out of my pocket to pay for it, too.

TrainOrders (love it or hate it) has proven that, even in the world where "everything's free on the internet," a site that provides value to its users can succeed and even excel with a pay-to-play model. I'd certainly hate to see RP.net go that way, but if ad blockers keep becoming more and more "en vogue," I don't see any other viable option for the long term future of this, and many other internet sites.
Maybe this site should charge for a membership, I'm in!! Some folks would agree with this, while others will disagree, no big deal as I have broad shoulders!

-- Kevin
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 AM   #16
JRMDC

Pop-up blocker + sound off works for me.

Too much noise in the world without letting my computer decide when to provide more.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 AM   #17
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

I had an Elite membership for part of my college career...I'm not sure where you guys are getting pizza for $3 (the cost per month to be an elite member) but cardboard might be even cheaper for you, give it a try!

Jokes aside, paying $3.00 a month isn't going to make or break my budget and the add-free environment is a huge plus.

Not to highjack this thread but I was wondering if either of the admins could tell us if more Elite member perks are going to be added in the near future?
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #18
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
I had an Elite membership for part of my college career...I'm not sure where you guys are getting pizza for $3 (the cost per month to be an elite member) but cardboard might be even cheaper for you, give it a try!
Oh, come on...

Old 12-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #19
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Oh, come on...

Cardboard might be equally tasteful!
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #20
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10

Quote:

I use Firefox and with a few key add-ons, I have absolutely NO ads, what so ever. It's exactly like having an elite membership. Since blocking ads is the only "key" feature of the membership, I see no point in shelling out the extra cash for it. Money is tight when you are in college.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:54 AM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fladung
Cardboard might be equally tasteful!
Crap, where'd my Jack's pizza picture go?

Jack's is the best frozen pizza out there, and it's usually only $3. There's your monthly elite fee.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 AM   #22
Slopes09

During the summer, when I have an oven, Aldi brand (well, whatever) Tombstone Pizzas with some cheese sprinkled on top. I think they were pretty cheap, and I can devour a whole one on my own. Shoot, all this talk of pizza is making me hungry.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

I too would rather spend my money on travel or other tangible things. I don't have an elite membership, but I don't use adblocker either. "Safari" kills the pop-ups on its own. I just ignore the ads. It's not that hard to do.
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Crap, where'd my Jack's pizza picture go?

Jack's is the best frozen pizza out there, and it's usually only $3. There's your monthly elite fee.
I'm a Roma pizza guy myself! Little Ceasars always has a med pizza for $5 and is always ready to go.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #25
Ween

Quote:
Little Ceasars always has a med pizza for $5 and is always ready to go.
I think they jumped to $6 in The Forks...fail.