Old 02-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
dejv

Default How to make cloudy day shot better?

Hello, I've experimented with B/W photography and cloudy day shots lately. I liked one shot much, so I tried to get it to DB and it got "Cloudy day" reject:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=380739610

This angle is "cloudy day only", as tram goes to north and street is too narrow to permit any other direct sunlight than backlight by high sun at noon.

At second look, I must admit that it looks "common". I think that there can be some room for improvement, both in shooting and post-processing, but I'm not sure what to do. Could help more contrast like in attachment? Or something else?

It doesn't matter for me if the shot is DB-worthy. I'd just like to get maximum of the location/angle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15680017-3.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	3765  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejv View Post
Hello, I've experimented with B/W photography and cloudy day shots lately. I liked one shot much, so I tried to get it to DB and it got "Cloudy day" reject:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=380739610

This angle is "cloudy day only", as tram goes to north and street is too narrow to permit any other direct sunlight than backlight by high sun at noon.

At second look, I must admit that it looks "common". I think that there can be some room for improvement, both in shooting and post-processing, but I'm not sure what to do. Could help more contrast like in attachment? Or something else?

It doesn't matter for me if the shot is DB-worthy. I'd just like to get maximum of the location/angle...
Then including more of the surrounding buildings. You admitted yourself that it looks too common and I think thats because the focus is on the "what", the tram, rather than the "where", the cool building 'canyon'. Just by looking at the angle and the shot, I would have included the buildings on the right more and put the tram along the bottom left axis following a rule of thirds pattern. Hope this helps!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
shanedeemer

It's cloudy, it's European, and it's a tram. They won't take it.

I had a similar problem earlier this year: http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=8781

At least the tram you photograph still operates - the photos I tried to upload are of a now closed tram line.
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
dejv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2) View Post
Then including more of the surrounding buildings. You admitted yourself that it looks too common and I think thats because the focus is on the "what", the tram, rather than the "where", the cool building 'canyon'. Just by looking at the angle and the shot, I would have included the buildings on the right more and put the tram along the bottom left axis following a rule of thirds pattern. Hope this helps!
Thank you for the point, this is my home town, so I never thought about this street as about "cool bulding canyon". Probably because it's widest street of original medieval town. Your point also reminded me of my photo in attachment - it's far from perfect - aside from cloudy it's got some "human foreground clutter", but it includes all the "where" in situation that will probably never repeat - trams in short intervals going through crowded square with christmas stalls. Would it make the cut if you screened it?

shanedeemer: my only photo in db is operating european tram, although on sunny day, so I think it's still worth a try if you feel the photo is good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0006.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	3769  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer View Post
It's cloudy, it's European, and it's a tram. They won't take it.
Well, cloudy is always a problem on RP regardless of the subject. As for European and tram, RP has plenty. If you search on "tram" you get 316. As over here they say "trolley" or "light rail" you will find just about all of those to be overseas.

Image © Adam Neinstein
PhotoID: 229477
Photograph © Adam Neinstein

Image © Alan-Crotty
PhotoID: 228801
Photograph © Alan-Crotty

Here is my shot, not of high quality, maybe it would not be accepted today.
Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 189373
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-14-2009 at 11:50 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
shanedeemer

What most people don't realize is that not all European trams are the same. What's the difference between a Combi, a GT4 and a DT8? Railpictures.net has not gotten into that level of detail when it comes to trams and Light Rail Vehicles, and, as a result, everything is a tram, trolley or light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Well, cloudy is always a problem on RP regardless of the subject. As for European and tram, RP has plenty. If you search on "tram" you get 316. As over here they say "trolley" or "light rail" you will find just about all of those to be overseas.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer View Post
What most people don't realize is that not all European trams are the same. What's the difference between a Combi, a GT4 and a DT8? Railpictures.net has not gotten into that level of detail when it comes to trams and Light Rail Vehicles, and, as a result, everything is a tram, trolley or light rail.
I'm not sure what that means. There is a field for that information. If people don't fill it out, well, that is what it is. RP doesn't get into any more detail than its users provide.

I suppose one could argue for more fields. For example, for steam there is a field for configuration (4-8-2) but not for builder, as far as I recall. I suppose they could add that. But it isn't really a documentation site, RP is a photography site.

Feel free to tell me what the model of tram is in my shot and I'll do a correction; the locomotive type field is blank at the moment.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
shanedeemer

Your photo is of a T2000, built by Bombardier in 1994.