Old 06-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #26
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

There is a good mix, its there so many wedge's over the hard to get shots. On the bad side a lot of great shots brake's the rules and may not get in.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #27
WisconsinCentral

I am totally floored that the "consist, yawn!" statement was made, maybe It is going out of style here, but nowhere else.

I have noticed the type of attitude(preference is probably the better word) you speak of, and it is becoming more common in the viewing audience here I believe, but I can look at well-lit wedgies of SD40-2's and other interesting older power all day. Will I ever click on one with a Dash 9, most likely not. I, along with many good photogs who are still on the prowl for actual exciting and different power, don't think that all of the new "artsy" stuff is all that matters in a picture. I like making shots more interesting, such as using props along with creating neat focus points that aren't in focus(strange sentence there...) to add to the shot. Those shots are usually taken after I get my "standard wedgie" out of the way, because the main focus to me is the power!

So no, I'll take good power anyday and all day. Am I the only one who thinks that most of the new power is just plain boring to watch, much less take pictures of?

Alec

Last edited by WisconsinCentral; 06-12-2009 at 01:18 AM.
WisconsinCentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #28
bigbassloyd

You're thinking the same thing that countless others did, when steam rolled by, when F units rolled by, when Geeps rolled by, and when SD40's were rolling by. You'll kick yourself when you're older for snubbing any photo opportunity you deem too boring to shoot today...

Just my opinion. I shoot everything I can.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #29
NYSubway18

I think some of the new power is really interesting. Especially if you can find a variety of paint schemes like you see on the BNSF. What I do hope is that the BNSF picks up on what UP has done and do some Heritage Units. I also hope UP expands the program. Here in NY a lot of people go tired of the Redbird subways - well now that everything looks like a Coors Light Silver Bullet can a lot of people miss those Redbirds.
NYSubway18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:52 AM   #30
WisconsinCentral

Lloyd, I agree with you and wont say that your completely wrong in your statement. But the thing is, I have plenty of shots of (to be completely honest, in my eyes, crap) power that is common (Dirty Dash 9's, GEVo's, SD70ACe's, etc...) in todays age. Heck I caught the movement of two maiden voyage ES44C4 consists:

So Im not so sure Im ever going to kick myself, because you know when you like something when you get excited over it. And I really don't get any excitement from seeing widecabs the whole day. When there was other power around such as lease units,Oakways, SD40-2's, and others It was much more bearable to see widecabs, because they weren't on every train. But at Northtown all it is now is Gevo's and Dash 9's.

Alec(Is there anyone that agrees with me?)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #31
tim2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post

So no, I'll take good power anyday and all day. Am I the only one who thinks that most of the new power is just plain boring to watch, much less take pictures of?

Alec
I agree with you 100% Alec. New power is boring as can be. It tends to get dirty after two weeks, so after that point, you can get the same shot for the next ten to twenty years. Give me an SD40-2 any day and I'll be happy!

TDS
tim2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinCentral View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that most of the new power is just plain boring to watch, much less take pictures of?

Alec
New power boring? Not at all, especially if it's brand spanking new. There's nothing that looks better to me than a freshly painted unit with clean trucks (ie: clean BNSF orange with bright silver trucks...WOW!). There's pretty much only one particular style of locomotive that I find really, REALLY boring, and I'm often completely disinterested in shooting it: a CSX wide cab in YN2. Give me ANY other locomotive and paint in some great scenery and I'm happy. But I'll generally pass on that ugly crap.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #33
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It will be new looking for a sort time, I like ES44 's and SD70 of every make. shoot!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #34
lock4244

Today's new power is tomorrow's dinosaur. I wasn't around when C630M's, M630's and M636's were new, but I'm glad someone was shooting them so we can see what they looked like clean... or for the yonger foamers, at all. I'll admit that the homogonous uniformity of today's locomotive fleets are bland, the fact that seeing an SD40-2 is now considered "nice to see" bears testemony to that, but a train is a train and you never know if 30 years from now that ES44AC shot you took might be a real joy to some young kid chasing down the last operating examples on the TTI.

I tend to shoot more for the scene, not necessarily the power. Nice to see odd-balls or foreign stuff, but honestly, when I see a train led by a pair of -9's I don't even consider the fact that the power is boring. Back when I started shooting, I'd get PO'ed when half of CN freights I'd see had a few or a solid set of GP40-2L's. Now people (Tim in fmr NAR country for example) hunt them down.

I just wish I'd could catch more GP40-2L's and SD40-2W's leading before they're all gone.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #35
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

I think that wedge shot is just fine for angle, Tim
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #36
Joe the Photog

I kick myself for not learning more about the fleets when I first got into photography. Lots of nice (to look at) Dash 7s on NS and others. I don't NOT shoot GEVOs and Dash 9s, but I won't chase them either. Give me a local with a couple of GP38-2s or GP40-2s and I'll chase those. Sad when a bunch of GPs are the odd balls of the fleet now.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #37
cblaz

Congrats, Tim.

Image © Tim Stevens
PhotoID: 287150
Photograph © Tim Stevens

I may be alone in this, but I like this crop better, as it gives the mountains much more of an ominous feel.

- Chris
Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #38
WisconsinCentral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I kick myself for not learning more about the fleets when I first got into photography. Lots of nice (to look at) Dash 7s on NS and others. I don't NOT shoot GEVOs and Dash 9s, but I won't chase them either. Give me a local with a couple of GP38-2s or GP40-2s and I'll chase those. Sad when a bunch of GPs are the odd balls of the fleet now.
My thoughts exactly! If the sun is right, and the scene is nice, I will shoot power that Im not exactly thrilled to see. I don't think I will ever really love this power when it gets older, but the sad thing is that If I passed up every train with a Dash 9 or GEVO leader, then I wouldn't be taking pictures at all....

Jim, since Im a CSX fan from Minnesota (figure that one out...), I am generally always somewhat happy to see CSX power, not nearly as much if its a C40-8W or AC44, but generally speaking. I also see what your saying, that YN2 is looking pretty bad on a lot of engines, plus a YN2 Widecab to me is a double wammy. But, since I live by the BNSF, I can relate to your situation, Im the same way with BNSF's H2. If it has to be a Dash 9 or GEVO leading, atleast have it be in Swoosh!

Alec
Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Congrats, Tim.

Image © Tim Stevens
PhotoID: 287150
Photograph © Tim Stevens

I may be alone in this, but I like this crop better, as it gives the mountains much more of an ominous feel.

- Chris
Ditto! What your shot lacks in interesting power, it makes up for in scenery!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Ditto! What your shot lacks in interesting power, it makes up for in scenery!
Sounds like most shots from the Canadian Rockies
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:52 PM   #41
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Since the shot got on I suppose we can continue the discussion on whether modern power is interesting or not. I guess it depends on what one sees and/or personal tastes. Obviously, living along a mainline one will get sick of the same ol' Dash 9s or whatever the common power is. People who frequent the PRB will probably trade their BNSF SD70MACs for anything meanwhile folks along the TransCon will gladly take them off their hands. On the other hand, maybe a widecab is just a widecab regardless of who built it or specific differences.

I shoot the same GP38-2s and GP40-2s 3 days a week so a trip to the NS or CSX main through the state once a week is a nice break from the 'common' power here that I'm sure people would trade what they shoot for.

Another thing to remember is that we don't know what will happen in the next few years in terms of mergers, acquisitions or paint scheme changes. YN2 is on its way out as is it the original NS scheme... Sure its not a Warbonnet but wouldn't it be nice to have at least a few shots at a location where all you see is KCS Southern Belles ( I'm daydreaming there...) Shortlines and regionals are already collecting what was once the common modern power in the 80's and I'm sure that will be the case in a few years when RRs are ridding themselves of the 15y/o Dash 9s for new orders of ACes (more dreaming...) and regionals like the WNYP is buying ten at a time and putting them into their own paint. It would be cool to have a photo of what it once looked like in mainline service. Example:
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 271977
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM   #42
nikos1

I agree with the shoot it now sentiment in general, but when it comes to things like CSX GEVO's, someone please shoot me if you find me desperately chasing the last one down some weedy branchline in 30 years. If its in good light ill shoot whatever the power, if its bad light i may just let the video camera roll and not bother with a photo.
There was some talk about how bad CSX YN2 is starting to look, im not sure how many will agree with me on this sentiment but YN2 in my opinion will 90% of the time look better than YN3. YN3 is great when its new, but just looks awful when its dirty. YN2 seems to hold up better and the brighter colors mean it looks decent in light that makes YN3 just look plain dull.
I think if you want to shoot for posterity, shoot the train with some surroundings, everyone will have their roster shot of a GEVO, but you may be the only one to capture that scene that may be totally gone in 20 years.
For example take these two shots, the first from 1989, the second from 2008 (only the 2008 one is mine unfortunately)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ns6-14-892.jpg

vs.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...spx?id=1549312

The engine is still operating for NS but the scene from 1989 is totally gone.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #43
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr

You like SP/SSW B30/B36-7s AB2? I got em'!

Seriously; I had held off rosters for awhile. Those units were common to me and others here in TX, so much so we tended to avoid them unless in solid sets.

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #44
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Cool

And I remember well all those times back in the 80s, no less, that I almost threw my camera in the ballast when I saw another &*^& Santa Fe geep or ANYBODY's SD40/SD40-2 leading!

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net

Last edited by BarrySr; 06-14-2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: add SD40
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #45
BurlingtonNorthern

I’m obviously not the person to be talking to since every single one of my pictures has been rejected thus far, but I think you’re photos quite nice.

I especially like the way you captured the mountains in the background and the train sweeping around the curve…

Hopefully, they’ll tell you how to fix this photo and allow you to re-submit because it is a really nice photo and a neat subject.
BurlingtonNorthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #46
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
For example take these two shots, the first from 1989, the second from 2008 (only the 2008 one is mine unfortunately)
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ns6-14-892.jpg

vs.

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPic...spx?id=1549312

The engine is still operating for NS but the scene from 1989 is totally gone.
Is that supposed to be the same location?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #47
nikos1

Its hard to believe but i assure you it is, 20 years and its almost impossible to recognize.
Look for the concrete retaining wall barely visible to the left of the loco, thats about the only thing left in the 2008 shot.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #48
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
Its hard to believe but i assure you it is, 20 years and its almost impossible to recognize.
Look for the concrete retaining wall barely visible to the left of the loco, thats about the only thing left in the 2008 shot.

The thing that stands out different to me the most is the road. The grade and angle are completely different. What happened? Hmm..maybe it's just the angle that you took your photo from that is making it look so different. Do you have one from the same perspective as the original?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:55 PM   #49
nikos1

Well, in 2006 they pretty much rebuilt the whole road. There used to be quite a bit of track in this area and several crossings, but today only one track remains so they smoothed out the road since the crossings were no longer there.
I looked and i dont have one from any closer perspective, i took my shot before someone sent me the 1989 shot. If i have some time today ill try and reshoot that and several other older shots from the same time period.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:36 PM   #50
JimThias

Cool. I like "then and now" shots and yours definitely shows a huge difference.