Old 07-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
dejv

Default Yet another bad cropping

I've got a photo that I like but I need an advice how to crop it well. Full frame is in attachment, rejected crop is here:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=714571&key=0

I've included a bit of the trees to the right to frame the photo to frame it but not too much to get rid of the dark areas to the lower right. I've also eliminated the footbridge reflection. Then I cropped the top and right to make photo balanced. I liked the light triangle that appeared between lower corners and foot of right bank bridge support.

This obviously didn't work. If you edited this photo, what crop would you choose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000064680025.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	4475  

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

I like the cropping as-is. My only suggestion would have been to let the train come out a little more. Do you happen to have amother frame after this one?

EDIT-On a second look, could you have centered yourself with the bridge better too.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
dejv

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
I like the cropping as-is. My only suggestion would have been to let the train come out a little more.
Thanks. The train would enter shadow if I shot it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
EDIT-On a second look, could you have centered yourself with the bridge better too.
Technically, I could not. I was already standing at the edge of a gravel bank. Going further would be unwise because water level can rise pretty quickly in that places

Old 07-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #4
Joe the Photog

I'm with EMT on the first one, although I might tweak it a bit and crop out more sky. But I seem to see some poor image quality in both shots. What kind of camera are you using and are you shrinking down the photo a lot in post?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
But I seem to see some poor image quality in both shots. What kind of camera are you using and are you shrinking down the photo a lot in post?
Noticed that, too. And it appears to be a little unlevel...could use some CW rotation.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
dejv

Thank you all for your responses. I've shot this one at film and this is quite aggresive crop of 6MP scan - you can see it from comparison of crop and FF. I didn't take too much attention to this when editing the picture but I should have to - any loss of IQ means getting below the threshold.

Joe: If I cropped even more sky, I could not make a sensible crop while maintaining aspect lesser or equal to 1.5 - would you go for wider picture, crop some side or move the bottom in this case?

Jim: I've spent some time leveling this and I've chosen to leave it as it is because the bridge piers and trolley supports are vertical and the line level with the camera is horizontal. The bridge is not parallel with plane of the film so it's deck and reflection go to the vanishing point to the far right outside the frame. I've chosen not to hide this by (horizontal) perspective correction, because the footbridge would look really weird (it already does because its true angle to photographer and wide angle lens).