Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Ya say you wish your 50D had video?

Maybe your wish can come true!

From Magic Lantern - firmware update for several cameras:

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M..._Firmware_Wiki

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I have a 60D and I bet I've shot video ten times total with it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's 10 more times than I've taken video with my 60D. In fact, I don't even know if that part of the camera works - never tried it!
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
JRMDC

Results vary by camera; on the 50D ML is an "unstable port."

I will perhaps give it a go in the spring. Add it to my list of projects!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
magicman_841

Just get a Sony.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
KevinM

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a video-capable camera who never uses the feature. I have two of them and just like Mr. Pick, I couldn't tell you if the feature works on either one.

Seriously, I want Nikon to come out with a FF camera, with a 16 MP sensor (no more, please!!), 51 AF points that cover the WHOLE viewfinder, at least 8 FPS burst rate, no video necessary....and a price around 2 grand. Think you can handle that, Nikon?????

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with a video-capable camera who never uses the feature. I have two of them and just like Mr. Pick, I couldn't tell you if the feature works on either one.

Seriously, I want Nikon to come out with a FF camera, with a 16 MP sensor (no more, please!!), 51 AF points that cover the WHOLE viewfinder, at least 8 FPS burst rate, no video necessary....and a price around 2 grand. Think you can handle that, Nikon?????
Do you use multiple focus points? 99.5% of the time mine stays locked on the center focus point and I back button focus and then re-compose. I never trusted those fancy focus systems to know what I wanted to focus on.

Last edited by Mr. Pick; 01-04-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I've been getting into shooting video over the past couple of months with my 60D. In fact, I'm about to get a second one so I can doing coming and going angles. (well, not really for that reason, I think my 60D is close to death with over 100,000 shutter actuations in the 16 months that I've had it, so it's time to get a new one for my job).

Last edited by JimThias; 01-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Do you use multiple focus points? 99.5% of the time mine stays locked on the center focus point and I back button focus and then re-compose. I never trusted those fancy focus systems to know what I wanted to focus on.
Same here. The only time I've ever used any other points is when I have my camera on a tripod and I want to focus on something that is off center.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Same here. The only time I've ever used any other points is when I have my camera on a tripod and I want to focus on something that is off center.
I always find myself tipping the camera down to get a focus point to lock on to the rails where I expect a train to be. It's quite annoying and the new cameras with their multiple focus points are so clustered together you have to wonder what the point is.

J - surprised you couldn't get your 50D to go video - I read the software was fine for the 50D and it was the 40D which was not yet stable.

I have the 7D - if I could unhook the video and give it to you, I would. I've used it all of once.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I always find myself tipping the camera down to get a focus point to lock on to the rails where I expect a train to be. It's quite annoying and the new cameras with their multiple focus points are so clustered together you have to wonder what the point is.
I know what you mean. They definitely should be spaced outward from the center a little more.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
Joe the Photog

Quote:
I think my 60D is close to death with over 100,000 shutter actuations in the 16 months that I've had it, so it's time to get a new one for my job).
Dang, that's a lot of shutter pressing! I'm going on two years with mine and I haven't tripped the odometer so to speak yet. And, yeah, I know you use your for work also.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
J - surprised you couldn't get your 50D to go video - I read the software was fine for the 50D and it was the 40D which was not yet stable.
You misunderstand, I have yet to try it. I was just noting what the ML website said. Thanks for the tip.

Jim, what is the story on that last video, with the Amtrak heritage trailing? Are there push-pull operations up your way?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #14
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
I am with you!
I borrowed a 7D once. Really, really nice camera.
But a thick chapter on focus alone in the manual, Ahggghh!
I just do the center dot and recompose. Then I know I am good.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Jim, what is the story on that last video, with the Amtrak heritage trailing? Are there push-pull operations up your way?
Yes, push pull between Chicago and Grand Rapids...most of the time. If they don't have units on both ends, the remaining 3 miles or so of their journey in GR requires a reverse move with the conductor hanging out the vestibule and blowing an air whistle at crossings. It also forces them to use an extra move requiring more permission from the dispatcher and possible delays. Hence, MOST of the time they have an NPCU unit on one end to avoid this, but as you see in the video, AMTK 500 was on the train that day. I'd say 95% of the time it's an NPCU, with the remaining 4% being a P42 or dash-8 (very rare), and the 1% no unit at all.

By the way, 156 was on "our" Amtrak train for nearly 2 weeks. It finally left yesterday morning for the last time.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
I don't use the area focus systems either. I may play with them some day when I don't care about the resulting photos, but I typically designate a single AF point and since I am composing a rule-of-thirds image, it is nearly never the center one. I don't like the idea of locking focus and recomposing, because my subject is almost always moving. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the off-center AF points are often not as accurate as the center one and I have occasionally found that out the hard way. Lately, I have experienced an increasing number of AF failures in which the camera appeared to focus and the shutter released, but the resulting frame was about as sharp as a dull butter knife. I especially find this to be a problem at ISOs above 200.

This weekend, I will be riding a charter. Since it's a foamer special vs. a serious photo charter, I may just play with some alternate focusing techniques.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #17
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I don't like the idea of locking focus and recomposing, because my subject is almost always moving.
That's exactly the reason why I lock focus and recompose.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 AM   #18
Ween

Jim...360p video? Fail.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Jim...360p video? Fail.
Educate me. I just selected the highest quality option available in iMovie to convert it to a file to upload to youtube.

I just started doing this...I have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 AM   #20
Ween

Quote:
Educate me. I just selected the highest quality option available in iMovie to convert it to a file to upload to youtube.

I just started doing this...I have no idea what I'm doing.
Video's too damn complicated and too many options and lingo to type it all out, but it was trail and error for me. Once I figured it out though, workflow/rendering became a second-nature procedure.

Good luck...it's nothing like processing a still image!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Mr. Pick

Well, I can now report that the video function on my 60D does indeed work. I was out Sunday evening and the light wasn't what I wanted for photographs, so I drug out the tripod and decided to give the video a whirl and shot two trains. I posted them on YouTube just for giggles and grins.

Some of my observations:

1. It's a whole different skill set to get a good video vs a good picture.
2. Files are HUGE if you shoot in HD.
3. Lack of continuous focus on the 60D is problematic if you move the camera around to follow the train, etc.
4. I have no idea how to edit a video, or even what software to use or where to start.
5. I'm going to try it some more, because much to my surprise, I really enjoyed it!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Well, I can now report that the video function on my 60D does indeed work. I was out Sunday evening and the light wasn't what I wanted for photographs, so I drug out the tripod and decided to give the video a whirl and shot two trains. I posted them on YouTube just for giggles and grins.

Some of my observations:

1. It's a whole different skill set to get a good video vs a good picture.
2. Files are HUGE if you shoot in HD.
3. Lack of continuous focus on the 60D is problematic if you move the camera around to follow the train, etc.
4. I have no idea how to edit a video, or even what software to use or where to start.
5. I'm going to try it some more, because much to my surprise, I really enjoyed it!
Mr. Pick, #4 was where I was a month ago until my brother-in-law showed me how to use iMovie. Now I get it, but iMovie still has some limitations. I'm currently waiting on a copy of Final Cut Pro.

I know what you mean about the focusing. Using two cameras (one zoom, one wide, or a different angle) kind of minimizes that issue for me since I try to avoid zooming or panning as much as possible.

Here's one for an example. Crappy light, crappy scene, and crappy composing for the zoom shot (I wasn't expecting the track to be so close to the right edge of the frame for the zoom angle), but I decided to go with it anyway. 100-400 for the zoom and 17-40 for the wide.

Another hard drive is going to be necessary for me in the near future. You're right...the files take up a LOT of space (I shoot at the highest quality possible).

I actually enjoy shooting video, especially if I find two creative angles of a scene.

Last edited by JimThias; 01-22-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #23
Mr. Pick

Thanks, Jim. You gave me some good ideas. Don't have two cameras, but I did talk with a guy who gave me some good ways to use one camera and get two or three different views per train without focus issues. I started messing with Windows MovieMaker this evening, so I'm getting my feet wet. I'm anxious to get out and shoot some more video...I know this is somehow going to cost me $$....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 AM   #24
Dennis A. Livesey

Mr. Pick.

Jim T is right. It is not hard really.

The hardest thing for most shooters to learn is...

using a tripod.

Once that difficult task is conquered, you are on easy street.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #25
PLEzero

Just throwing it out there.... Filmed with a Canon 5DMKII.

HELL AND BACK AGAIN Trailer:
http://vimeo.com/28912003

Video clip:
http://vimeo.com/6995256
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote