Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
quiksmith10

Send a message via AIM to quiksmith10
Default Heat Distortion - Hurtful To An Image?

With the hot temperatures on going now, heat distortion seems to be prevalent, especially in any type of magnified photo. I went out yesterday to do some afternoon train photography and happened to catch the CSX train out of Hagerstown, MD switching the Maryland Midland interchange at Highfield, MD. Granted, the temperature was already approaching ninety with the sun baking down. I set up for this shot, of a cut of MMID cars being readied for pickup by the CSX local, sitting off in the distance.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=607427920

To my suprise, the photo was rejected with the cause of, "heat distortion." I was rather shocked as the main subject matter in the photo wasn't distorted but well in focus. The train in the background just added to the photo and went along with the caption of the photo. I tried to appeal letting the screeners know that there were two main focal points of the photo, not just the locomotive in the background.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I thought this photo showed the operation rather well, with the distortion adding to the overall mood of the photo. I don't know, let me know what you think. I feel like the screeners just aren't looking at the photo overall, and just getting hooked on the locomotive.

Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.net!

Photography Portfolio: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53118039@N05/
quiksmith10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksmith10
I'm not trying to toot my own horn but I thought this photo showed the operation rather well, with the distortion adding to the overall mood of the photo. I don't know, let me know what you think. I feel like the screeners just aren't looking at the photo overall, and just getting hooked on the locomotive.
The engine is pretty strongly distorted, and to this pair of eyes it isn't a distortion that adds mood, just a distortion. When I look at the shot, heat is not the first thing I think of.

I think this falls in general zone of things like cloudy day / common power. If someone can go back and shoot another time and get a similar shot with better quality, then the first one does not get in.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Mgoldman

The foreground looks blury (depth of feild) and the background is distorted due to the heat distortion. So, what it appears to be is a picture of a rather dull freight car with alot of softness and distortion everywhere else, rahter then isolated to one point. IMHO, anyways.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #4
quiksmith10

Well, thanks for your comments guys. You get hooked on a certain photo and percieve it in a way that you want it look like, but in all reality, it looks nothing like it.

You're rather blunt comment Mitch actually kinda pointed that out to me. Thanks. What I was trying to do didn't come out that great after all. The switch was meant to be out of focus, as it didn't draw your attention to that area of the photograph, but gave it "fill" instead. But other than that, the locomotive is just too far back.

I'll head down the road again this week and try this shot again.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksmith10
Well, thanks for your comments guys. You get hooked on a certain photo and percieve it in a way that you want it look like, but in all reality, it looks nothing like it.

You're rather blunt comment Mitch actually kinda pointed that out to me. Thanks.
Sorry if I was too blunt - I percieved my statement to be well mannered and constructive - if in reality it looked nothing like it - my appologies! : ) Glad to help.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
quiksmith10

I didn't think you were like that. Just wasn't sure.