Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
a231pacific

Default Filling in the Railroad box

When entering data for an upload, the box for railroad
Quote:
Railroad:
The railroad to which the lead locomotive belongs.
presents a series of preloaded choices. I was out shooting the ex-Pere Marquette Berkshire 1225, which belongs to the Steam Railroading Institute (not a railroad) so I put Pere Marquette in the box, as this was the original owning road and it is currently lettered for the Pere Marquette. Is this correct?

I also had a member suggest that I should put PM 1225 as the engine number instead of 1225. This would make sense if the SRI, and not Pere Marquette, was listed as the owning railroad, but otherwise isn't it redundant?

What do the site owners recommend?

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
I also had a member suggest that I should put PM 1225 as the engine number instead of 1225. This would make sense if the SRI, and not Pere Marquette, was listed as the owning railroad, but otherwise isn't it redundant?
Redundant, I suppose, but I'd rather everyone be consistent and include the RR in the engine number instead of having the database full of PM, BNSF, CSX, etc. 1225s and having to do a more complex search.

Of course, there are enough miscodes and different coding styles that one has to do multiple searches anyway.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

A quick glance through the database seems to indicate that most folks are listing the railroad as Pere Marquette and PM 1225 as the engine number. In the interest of keeping everything as uniform as possible, this seems like a good idea.

Joe
Old 06-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
KevinM

The PM 1225 is a bit of an unusual case though. The SRI isn't generally known as a "railroad" per se, and since the engine is advertised and lettered as a PM engine, it certainly makes sense to list it that way here.

But what about other tourist railroads, which use steam equipment that in vitually all cases came from somewhere else? Some have their engines lettered for the original railways and some have adopted their own lettering. I have been using the name of the tourist railroad, because I think that's how most folks would search for such engines.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific
When entering data for an upload, the box for railroad presents a series of preloaded choices. I was out shooting the ex-Pere Marquette Berkshire 1225, which belongs to the Steam Railroading Institute (not a railroad) so I put Pere Marquette in the box, as this was the original owning road and it is currently lettered for the Pere Marquette. Is this correct?
Funny you should post this. There was just some discussion within the last hour of your post on another rr board I'm a member on regarding who owns 1225.

So, I present this link: http://www.mstrp.com/history.html

I think, technically, it's owned by the Michigan State Trust for Railway Preservation Inc.

As already mentioned, I think most people view it as and refer to it as "Pere Marquette 1225" or just PM.

Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 189621
Photograph © Jim Thias

I don't know anyone more anal about train symbols and more knowledgable about 1225 than my friend Gregg, so if he lists it that way, I think it's safe to refer to it that way:

Image © Gregg Pullano
PhotoID: 236131
Photograph © Gregg Pullano

Last edited by JimThias; 06-20-2008 at 03:04 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
a231pacific

Hi Jim,

Yes, MSTRP is correct, but they operate under a dba (doing business as), "The Steam Railroading Institute," and that's the name they want out there for the public to use.

All of which would make RP's owning railroad even more complicated!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Carl Becker

One thing that makes me think listing company names such as museums, etc, is appropriate is the fact that leasing companies are included in the presets. Leasing companies aren't railroads. Yet, they are listed in the database such as "My Company Name (MCNX)". Therefore, I take the railroad box as meaning the owner of the equipment, even if its reporting marks are for a fallen flag, etc.

~Carl Becker
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
Ween

When people come to RP to look for Pere Marquette 1225, they're not going to search for it under The Steam Railroading Institute. In this case, common sense seems to dictate the railroad be listed as PM...