Old 03-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
RiverCityRail

Unhappy Could I have salvaged this enough...

to be accepted?

Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Poor lighting (Cloudy): Common angle cloudy day shots of common/standard power are generally not accepted.

Last edited by RiverCityRail; 03-28-2007 at 02:33 PM.
RiverCityRail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
JRMDC

The short answer: NO

The longer answer: there is not light of consequence on the unit, there is nothing of compositional interest in the shot, it's full of noise, a weed blocks the front knuckle. Processing it would make it look a bit better but not much, and more likely to look fake. Go back and shoot again on a nice day. We've all been there, done that! Some days just don't work.

Unrelated question from the peanut gallery: why put a RR's ebsite URL on a locomotive?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
a231pacific

The short answer is no.

The light is bad, you have bushes sticking up into the engine and it's a bad crop, with the tree almost on the edge of the frame. Even if you had pulled up the weeds and taken the shot from a better angle it still would have been rejected. The lighting just was too bad.

Roster shots, which are just locomotives by themselves, need to be almost perfect or RP won't accept them. That means sunny, no shadows, no obstructions.

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
RiverCityRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Unrelated question from the peanut gallery: why put a RR's ebsite URL on a locomotive?
The reason i took the photo was Verasun Energy is an ethanol producer and it seemed weird they would have this engine for presumably switching one of their plants.

I'd go back and try again but 5 minutes after this shot the ICE hooked up to the engine and left with it 5th in a consist headed east
RiverCityRail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
nwrails

Quote:
Unrelated question from the peanut gallery: why put a RR's website URL on a locomotive?
The short answer: Advertising.

Daniel
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
lwhistler

Try High Dynamic Range (HDR) software such as Photomatix from http://www.hdrsoft.com It sells for $100 but they have a full functioning free demo that will put a watermark on the finished image.

The Tone Mapping feature might really improve that shot.
www.Stubby.ca
lwhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #7
Pat Lorenz

Quote:
Why not, after all locomotives are painted to advertise, and with the internet redily avalible now, it makes perfect sense.

CN does it...
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
Burner50

Send a message via MSN to Burner50

I'm curious to know where this was taken...
Burner50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #9
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhistler
Try High Dynamic Range (HDR) software such as Photomatix from http://www.hdrsoft.com It sells for $100 but they have a full functioning free demo that will put a watermark on the finished image.

Leonard, I am not familiar with Photomatix but I am familiar with HDR. HDR is a technique for dealing with extremes in brightness, lots of very dark and very bright. One starts with two images, either two different RAW conversions of the same shot or two differently exposed but otherwise identical shots (need good tripod technique).

This shot does not have a problem with extreme range of light. It has a problem with bad light - even the sky is not so bright. So HDR isn't the answer. You can raise the brightness way, way up, but it will never look right.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #10
lwhistler

Quote:
Leonard, I am not familiar with Photomatix but I am familiar with HDR. HDR is a technique for dealing with extremes in brightness, lots of very dark and very bright. One starts with two images, either two different RAW conversions of the same shot or two differently exposed but otherwise identical shots (need good tripod technique).

This shot does not have a problem with extreme range of light. It has a problem with bad light - even the sky is not so bright. So HDR isn't the answer. You can raise the brightness way, way up, but it will never look right.
I have been playing around with the demo version of the Photomatix software and Tone Mapping can, in some cases, improve a shot such as that one. Only one exposure is required but it must be a RAW file. The improvement is small, but it might be enough to get the image accepted.

Better solution would be to re-shoot, if possible.
www.Stubby.ca
Old 04-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhistler

Presumably, he didn't take at least two or three different exposures of this shot, so an HDR processed shot is out of the question.

By the way, I bought the Photomatix program and it's excellent.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:00 AM   #12
lwhistler

I played around in the Photomatix software without any good results. In Photoshop I used Curves and I think I improved the image slightly, but as others have mentioned the weed on the knuckle is no good, and it probably would still get rejected.

www.Stubby.ca
Old 04-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #13
jb17kx

That image is beyond saving. Even if the exposure can be corrected, there is far too much noise in the image that cannot be fixed. For future refference, you should avoid using very high ISO ratings (for a P&S, no more than 200, on a DSLR no more than 800), and instead try using a tripod or other support and a longer shutter speed, and try and compose the shot so that a light source, like the setting sun, is behind you and thus lighting the unit.
jb17kx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
a231pacific

Well, that certainly shows that Photomatix can do amazing stuff, but when you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig!
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote