Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
amtrakboy

Default "Poor Image Quality" rejects--please explain in detail!!!!

I have here two photos, both rejected for "poor image quality." Can anyone explain in depth just how the image quality falls short of rp standards, and what can be done to improve the image quality? All help/comments/suggestions/criticisms appreciated!!!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=353150
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=353148
amtrakboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
Joe the Photog

I believe they're both oversharpened. The one with the 4080 is the better shot too. It's not as tight and the sky is more interesting.

Joe
Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
a231pacific

I'm not sure about the over sharpening. That normally puts halos or white edges along objects, and those aren't present. What are present are "ziggies." Take a look at the hand rails and especially at the rail head in the foreground. You can see a noticeable "stair step" look to them. I'm guessing either it's saved at too low of a jpeg compression, or the way you reduced the image size for RP caused this to happen. Can you tell us what the original image size was and how you reduced it to the size you posted on RP?

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
nwrails

Like Joe said, both are a little over sharpened. I don't really see anything like "noise" or any thing like pixelation in the image.

I wouldn't really call the first shot, poor image quality. It's just oversharpened.

The 1st shot with the 4080 is the best of the two. Nice lighting and angle. Just try editing it again and sharpen the image a little less and try resubmitting it again.

Daniel
nwrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 AM   #5
amtrakboy

The original image size for both photos was 3872 x 2592 pixels, and both were slightly cropped, then reduced to rp size requirements by being resized in photoshop.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
amtrakboy

Default Rejected again!!!

The above photo of the 4080 was rejected again after I manipulated it some more in photoshop, and this time that "bad cropping" reject was added. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I can see the bad contrast, and the undersharpening.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=353196

Here is the original, uncropped photo as it is right out of the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UP 4080 copy.JPG (210.4 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by amtrakboy; 03-25-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
a231pacific

When you resize the image, do you have the resample image box checked and bi-cubic selected as the method? This should give you a good quality resize.

What settings are you using for sharpening? On your first version, the shot did seem overly contrasty. I was wondering if you used Unsharp Mask to sharpen and had the radius set really high, which increases contrast.

Also, what quality setting was the photo taken at and what jpeg setting did you use when you saved the image for RP? You should take your photos at the highest quality setting the camera can produce and save at 12 for RP.

Michael Allen
Old 03-25-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
amtrakboy

I did have the "resample" box checked, and the " bicubic" option selected. When I shot the photo, I had the camera set at the highest quality "jpeg fine" quality setting available. I also saved the image for RP, at the highest "12" jpeg setting available. I did, however, use the sharpen tool, rather than the Unsharp Mask. How do you use the Unsharp Mask? I have had very little experience with it.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:02 AM   #9
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

It must differ with camera type. I save at JPG 8 for rp.net. Initially I just use sharpen, my camera likes it then I use other sharpening methods sparingly.

Your pictures just seem to lack something to me, hard to pinpoint it. I think they're overexposed and undersharpened. Look at the Union Pacific writing on the front of the engine, out of focus and the sky is overexposed.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
a231pacific

Unsharp mask takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very versatile. The name seems counter intuitive, but it stems from an old physical dark room trick that used an out of focus (unsharp) copy negative sandwiched with a print to increase edge contrast and hence apparent sharpness.

For starters, sharpening is the last thing that you do, after you have made all the other changes in PhotoShop and then downsized the image for RP. The three adjustments are amount (%), radius and threshold. I sharpen somewhere between 70% and 125%, with a radius between 0.5 and 0.9 . The threshold is left at zero. The reason for different settings is the degree of sharpening you can use depends on the particular image. I sharpen until I just start to see a white edge appearing and then back off, or if I start to see graininess in the sky or other solid color areas.

Michael Allen
Old 03-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #11
amtrakboy

Thanks a million guys, for the advice!!!! I am going to put it to work and see if I can improve the quality of my images. I agree with many others that something is lacking--even I haven't been able to pinpoint it until opening it up for discussion in the "Forums." I am still a bit new at this myself!!! Please bear with me!!! LOL
Old 03-25-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
Ween

Quote:
How do you use the Unsharp Mask? I have had very little experience with it.
Just a suggestion, but try using the search function for the forums. The nice thing is that all the old threads have been archived and alot of questions already answered:
http://www.railpictures.net/forums/s...ead.php?t=4522
Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Great location, and basically very nice pictures. The blossoms are nice. I do like the first version better, better lighting and more interesting sky. I'm a bit surprised the first one got rejected. I can't add anything to the sharpening discussion, but it might help the picture to crop it just a bit more tightly on the right, where the cars show through the trees.

John
John West is offline   Reply With Quote