Old 04-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
Diamond D

Default Thoughts on a psuedo-HDR?

Thanks to the lengthening days, I finally chased the night local out of Durham and tried to set up something of an HDR shot. I'm leaning toward not submitting this because of the unusual aspect ratio (this was about a 12mm shot I think), and I can't find a way to get rid of the "jaggies" on the rails that occur when I resize the image.

But I'd still appreciate any comments on the lighting and composition. I wasn't quite able to save all the highlights, but that makes the lighting a bit more believable I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	523850665_church hand hdr 3 small sig.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	4039  
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm not sure what shooting at 12 mm has to do with the aspect ratio. Otherwise, the train is still in the center of the picture. I know this leaves the church visible, but it just doesn't seem a strong enough element of the shot. I like the lighting, but there's something about it that seems a tad overblown.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

NICE shot, really is dood. The ratio is off unfortunatly, you should see if RP will accept this as one of their banner shots up on top of the web page, I wouldn't mind seeing it up there. Looks like a really nice banner shot. Good job again. And good luck with cropping to get the ratio right.

Ben
Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
Mark Bau

I think that the composition and aspect ratio are fine although as an earlier poster said RP doesn't like non standard aspect ratios. I can't understand this as they do accept vertical shots which simply do not work on computer monitors.

The highlights in the clouds are a bit on the bright side for my liking.

The HDR "look" can be very nice but its getting to be like Poloroid transfer prints a decade ago, they were nice at first until everyone started doing them.
Mark Bau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

A bit of HDR is good for a photo if need. A lot of photographers that shot slides don't care for it at all" messing with the photo " But if you started as a printer of B&W like I did its old hat touching up a photo. The trick is if you can tell its HDR it maybe to much unless thats the plan.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
Mark Bau

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
A bit of HDR is good for a photo if need. A lot of photographers that shot slides don't care for it at all" messing with the photo " But if you started as a printer of B&W like I did its old hat touching up a photo. The trick is if you can tell its HDR it maybe to much unless thats the plan.
You make some very good points. For me, if a photo, silver based or digital, "looks" manipulated it turns me off straight away. When a manipulation is well done it's fantastic, a bloke who writes in Creative Camera, Bruce Barnbaum, is a master at it, incredibly involved burning and dodging but it always looks like there is no burning or dodging, quite a feat. When printing B&W I always try for minimal manipulation, same with digital, if I have to ask myself "should I be doing this?" I don't. I'll probably get flamed for this, (what's new, water off a ducks back) but newer photographers that have never done traditional stuff seem to be the worst offenders at over manipulation. They seem to have a motto of "let's see how far we can take it" I like to think my photos are what is noticed, not my manipulations, or lack thereof.
Mark Bau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
jdirelan87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bau View Post
You make some very good points. For me, if a photo, silver based or digital, "looks" manipulated it turns me off straight away. When a manipulation is well done it's fantastic, a bloke who writes in Creative Camera, Bruce Barnbaum, is a master at it, incredibly involved burning and dodging but it always looks like there is no burning or dodging, quite a feat. When printing B&W I always try for minimal manipulation, same with digital, if I have to ask myself "should I be doing this?" I don't. I'll probably get flamed for this, (what's new, water off a ducks back) but newer photographers that have never done traditional stuff seem to be the worst offenders at over manipulation. They seem to have a motto of "let's see how far we can take it" I like to think my photos are what is noticed, not my manipulations, or lack thereof.
Words of wisdom
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
ssw9662

Quote:
Well said. Sadly it seems there are a lot of people who probably spend more time at home processing their photos then they spend outside actually taking pics. Properly done HDR/dodge and burn processing (like the shot the thread starter posted) doesn't bother me at all, but I have a problem with photos that are obviously overprocessed and have a "washed out painting" look to them.

The bottom line is that if the photo looks fake, then you are giving it way too much processing. Having shot color slide film for a few years taught me a thing or two about the need to get it right the first time. It certainly is nice to be able to salvage a poorly exposed photo with the use of editing programs, but it still doesn't compare to properly taking the shot in the field.
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon 50mm f/1.8
My Railpictures.net Photos
flickr
ssw9662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

sorry dude, backlit, no light on nose, this is a screeners wet dream as far as number of rejects they could throw at it

I for one love the shot though
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
I'll probably get flamed for this, (what's new, water off a ducks back) but newer photographers that have never done traditional stuff seem to be the worst offenders at over manipulation. They seem to have a motto of "let's see how far we can take it" I like to think my photos are what is noticed, not my manipulations, or lack thereof.
No, you won't (and shouldn't) get flamed. It needs to be said and you stated it perfectly.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote