Old 10-22-2005, 06:53 AM   #26
SD70MACMAN
The man with the plan

Send a message via AIM to SD70MACMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic_pilot
A UP paint scheme honoring Bush? I think I'm going to vomit now...
Thats what we have the BNSF vomit bonnet for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuente1
hehehehe. Just ride it out till 2008!
For all of us left-wingers: White House put a positive spin on Bush IIs 39% approval rating, theyre calling him the "president of the minorties."

I wouldnt think its a good move make clear UPs political sidings [even though its obvious since they gave the most to W04 re-election of any railroad*], especally when they think Bush I is good enough to be honored with a locomotive. Seriously seems like UP overlooked a lot of better presidents. Remember, politcal favors come in handy when theres a law UP doesnt really like, such as one on the environment or labor. I'll boycott a company for their political beliefs [*cough cough Walmart*].

*source: Franken, Al, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" [and he sourced it to some news article with i dont know off hand]

UP's new slogan for Amtrak:
"We'll help you spread you wings and fly right into a siding!"

TRAINS TRAINS TRAINS!!! May the fun never end!
I'm a traitor! Im on JP.net! But all my plane shots involve trains!

BN FOREVER!
SD70MACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #27
bnsf sammy

It is interesting that UP is doing all this stuff to their locomotives (heritage units, this Bush locomtoive), when no other railroad is doing anything like it.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #28
Ween

Quote:
For all of us left-wingers: White House put a positive spin on Bush IIs 39% approval rating
Maybe it's because the Democrat leadership approval rating in Congress is hovering right around 30%...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #29
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
*source: Franken, Al, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" [and he sourced it to some news article with i dont know off hand]
Well there is part of the problem, believing anything Franken says.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #30
busyEMT

According to OpenSecrets.org Center for Responsive Politics:

Of the $50,971,205 in "Transportation" sector contributions (private, corp, PACs and soft monies) in 2004 74% went to Republicans;

of the $208,422,245 in the "Lawyers & Lobbyists" sector contributions (private, corp, PACs and soft monies) in 2004, 71% went to Dems.

Isolating the Railroad component of the "Transportation" sector:

KCS was the only company to give overwhelmingly to the Dems - 55% of their $91,627. The rest sent 78% of their $4,953,304 in contributions to Republicans. Specifically, the Union Pacific donated $1,608,806 in 2004. Of which, 21% went to the Dems.

Looking at the top recipients for the Presidential '04 race, Kerry had to split up the $55,000 in contributions with Gephardt, Dean, LaRouche, Clark and Edwards prior to becoming the VP candidate.

It isn't a wonder though, when the Dems side with lawyers and lobbyists who look to sue anything and everything that may be found liable. Or stand on the soapbox, scarring supporters into believing that if we turn our backs for 2 seconds the US will be a wasteland due to railroads and large businesses.

Clearly the Labor Unions overwhelmingly donate to the Dems (87% of $61,476,543), so it makes sense that the "big businness" bullies would give to a party on their side. But, I would hardly consider the likes of RJ Corman, Genessee & Wyoming, DM&E, Gulf & Ohio Railways and Grand Trunk & Western Railways big business.

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote