PhotoID: 532938
Photograph © Hunter Richardson

Image © Chase Gunnoe
PhotoID: 532810
Photograph © Chase Gunnoe
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
Mgoldman

Works for me - all fine photos individually and nicely representing each photographer's scope of work.

And, as I've said in the past - "You can't claim to have the best photos on the Net if you only accept the first photos posted". There are minute differences in each - we can all learn from - cropping, inclusion or not including the sky, the distance between the engine and signals and in some cases, color, tint, exposure and processing. Glad to see admin accept these - nearly back to back, in fact.

Image © Billy Hager
PhotoID: 532933
Photograph © Billy Hager

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 532892
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Chip Allen
PhotoID: 532884
Photograph © Chip Allen

Image © Brock Dishner
PhotoID: 533639
Photograph © Brock Dishner

That's the magic of a well organized database like RP - you can scroll past the other 385,000 thumbs if you prefer.

-Does get a bit tiresome, to your point, when a "similar to previous" does find its way to a rejection, though!

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 06-05-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

This is by far the worse one of yesterday... how about you level the shot first

Image © Chip Allen
Photograph © Chip Allen
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
troy12n
Banned

Oh, and are you all sick of the drone shots yet?
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
JRMDC

It's funny, someone on one of the FB "RP reject" groups posted a rejection of a 611 shot for "similar to previous" and yet these pairs and triplets got in! The ID numbers are far enough apart that they could easily have been screened in different sessions by different screeners.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Noct Foamer

So the take away here is that to get shots accepted, (if that's a big thing for you,) you should buy a sliding box camera and start shooting everything using wet plates? That way you're only competing with foamers who were out taking shots before 1880. Pretty safe bet none of them are still around to upload their stuff.

The good news is a quality replica of an 1856 Lewis camera costs less than half of a Nikon D810, and as a bonus is much prettier!

http://www.starcameracompany.com/

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 06-01-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:51 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
It's funny, someone on one of the FB "RP reject" groups posted a rejection of a 611 shot for "similar to previous" and yet these pairs and triplets got in! The ID numbers are far enough apart that they could easily have been screened in different sessions by different screeners.
Yeah - funny until it's you!

Note the second set of images - photo ID #'s:
532 884
532 892
532 933

Pretty much consecutive. And of course, makes for two happy patrons -
Ron and Billy. And at least one happy viewer - now I have the opportunity to better appreciate both Ron and Mr Hager's work vs only the work of the person who submitted first.

Kent - your take on getting shots accepted is bass ackwards. First on means you should by a cell phone with the best camera available available preferably on the carrier with the widest coverage.

/Mitch
Old 06-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Yeah - funny until it's you!

Kent - your take on getting shots accepted is bass ackwards. First on means you should by a cell phone with the best camera available available preferably on the carrier with the widest coverage.

Hmm. Star Camera Co. does a lot of custom work. Maybe they could incorporate 4G into one of their cameras. It would probably have to be a later model 1890s tailboard camera though, and maybe not bigger than quarter plate or it would eat up a lot of data!

Kent in SD
Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Oh, and are you all sick of the drone shots yet?
Kind of like we're sick of wedgies?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
a231pacific

I'm glad the screeners at least let Ron's in. Ron gets more composition points!

Michael Allen
a231pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific View Post

Michael Allen
I was hoping to see pics from Walter and Samuel - on RP. It's fascinating to me to see similar images side by side - just to see the effect minor differences can make on the overall outcome. That and the unique characteristics (and triumphs) in processing.

Walter's pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walter...57651461236543

Didn't see a FLICKR album for Samuel, and trying to find the pics on FB, well.. good luck. Unless of course, you spend your life on FB as many seem to have found the time to do so.

/Mitch
Old 06-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #12
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Works for me - all fine photos individually and nicely representing each photographer's scope of work.

Image © Billy Hager
PhotoID: 532933
Photograph © Billy Hager

Image © Ron Flanary
PhotoID: 532892
Photograph © Ron Flanary

Image © Chip Allen
Photograph © Chip Allen

That's the magic of a well organized database like RP - you can scroll past the other 385,000 thumbs if you prefer.

-Does get a bit tiresome, to your point, when a "similar to previous" does find its way to a rejection, though!

/Mitch
....I uploaded my shot taken here on May 31 (the day after the big event), and at that moment, there weren't any other shots taken from that vantage point. By actual count, there were 15 photographers at that very spot (and we made a nice little photo line). There was another line further east (and out of our range), and one behind us (and we were out of their range, since they were shooting teles). All told, I would say there were 30 guys there, and everyone was cordial and cooperative. And---a bunch of 'em were regular RP posters. I knew there would be multiple shots here (why not...it was my "shot of the day"), but I picked the shot of my sequence that I liked best and uploaded it. I had no idea Chip Allen also had a shot in the queue, but we must have uploaded about the same time. Since then, I've noticed Peter Lewis' shot from up high. He actually climbed a tree for that one!

Ordinarily I'm alone when I take a train image, but May 30th was the exception. Unless you were there, you cannot fathom the number of people (both "serious" photographers and also everyday folks who were out to see 611 come "home") who were there. To get a shot without people in the scene wasn't easy. This spot was a "hike in" location I had been to some 25 years before, so I knew about it. Still, I was surprised to see the number of good shooters who knew about my "secret" location.

I agree with you, Mitch: I do like to see the work of other people, even if the shots are virtually identical. You can see some minor differences in composition (for example, I stood up and got more of the double track in the foreground...), also levels and color saturation (I bumped mine up only modestly, but some of the other shots posted from that day were pretty heavily "cooked"). It's all a matter of preference and style, of course, which lends credence to my oft-repeated mantra that there really isn't a right or wrong way to take a train photo.

Ron
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:16 AM   #13
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by a231pacific View Post

Michael Allen
Well thanks! For Jim's info, I did have to do a 1 degree CW rotation to get it level.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 AM   #14
Ron Flanary

Guys: Why is there a "similar to previous" rejection? Of course it's very unlikely I would have posted my shot at Blue Ridge had two or three already been on there (unless I thought my shot was really different...). If a shot passes all technical merit, why would you gig a photographer for taking an otherwise good shot? There are always minute differences in how photographers interpret a scene, so if there were five, six or seven shots taken there and posted (all of them good), what would be the purpose of rejecting any of them? That's nonsense. RP isn't a magazine---it's a "show and tell" internet medium to show others your train images. If you've seen a particular scene before, just scroll on by. It takes about a micro second...

Of course the "RP rejects" crowd lives to whine. Most of those guys still live in their mother's basement, they've never had sex with another person, and they purchased their camera on sale at Walmart.

Ron F.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:29 AM   #15
Ron Flanary

Actually, this was my favorite shot from that location...

Ron F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCF_6089.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	8987  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:32 AM   #16
Ron Flanary

....One more thing: here's the photo line at Blue Ridge (well, at least the one I was in). Who do you recognize?

Ron F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RCF_6087.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	8988  
Old 06-04-2015, 02:50 AM   #17
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flanary View Post
Of course the "RP rejects" crowd lives to whine. Most of those guys still live in their mother's basement, they've never had sex with another person, and they purchased their camera on sale at Walmart.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 04:14 AM   #18
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Unless you were there, you cannot fathom the number of people (both "serious" photographers and also everyday folks who were out to see 611 come "home") who were there. To get a shot without people in the scene wasn't easy.

I'm a veteran of about a dozen years of trips to see the big UP steamers rolling all over the Midwest. I think I can "fathom" the number of people you saw. As to shots without people in the scene, to me, the people who came out ARE the shot! I try hard to work them into the composition.

Kent in SD
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
....One more thing: here's the photo line at Blue Ridge (well, at least the one I was in). Who do you recognize?

Ron F.
Is that Walter sticking his tongue out at you?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Ordinarily I'm alone when I take a train image, but May 30th was the exception. Unless you were there, you cannot fathom the number of people (both "serious" photographers and also everyday folks who were out to see 611 come "home") who were there. To get a shot without people in the scene wasn't easy.
I'm pretty sure there were more people out for 4449 when it came to Michigan. Complete insanity for hundreds of miles. Hence, I can fathom it.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #21
JRMDC

Quote:
As info, at least online, Walmart sells Canon stuff up and including the 5D3. I don't know if they ever put the good stuff on sale.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #22
Ron Flanary

.....No, I'm sure you guys can't fathom the crowds. It was more people than the extras for "Ben Hur"...
Old 06-04-2015, 08:42 PM   #23
Decapod401

Quote:
.....No, I'm sure you guys can't fathom the crowds. It was more people than the extras for "Ben Hur"...
Having chased at least a dozen mainline steam locomotives over the years, I'm with Ron. Apparently, NS publicized this journey to every community along the route. Aside from the railfans, which didn't seem to be significantly more or less in number than any other chase that I've done, there were thousands of locals lining the route with lawn chairs. My last shot was on the downgrade side of Blue Ridge grade. When I got to the main road, traffic going into Roanoke was bumper-to-bumper for as far as I could see in both directions. At that point, I decided that any shot to be had in Roanoke would not be worth the effort, and I headed home.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 PM   #24
Noct Foamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
...there were thousands of locals lining the route with lawn chairs. My last shot was on the downgrade side of Blue Ridge grade. When I got to the main road, traffic going into Roanoke was bumper-to-bumper for as far as I could see in both directions. At that point, I decided that any shot to be had in Roanoke would not be worth the effort, and I headed home.
Dang, that was historic! You had a chance to photo that sort of crowd showing up but didn't do it? Doubt you'll ever get an opportunity like that again. Often, the shot we have preconceived in our heads prevents us from seeing the truly unique ones when they present themselves.

http://="https://www.flickr.com/phot...osted-public/"

Kent in SD

Last edited by Noct Foamer; 06-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:04 AM   #25
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Dang, that was historic! You had a chance to photo that sort of crowd showing up but didn't do it? Doubt you'll ever get an opportunity like that again. Often, the shot we have preconceived in our heads prevents us from seeing the truly unique ones when they present themselves.

http://="https://www.flickr.com/phot...osted-public/"

Kent in SD
Good point, Kent. It just looked like it would take an hour to get into town, and almost as long to park and walk to the tracks, with a four-hour drive home after that. Had I been staying in the area that night, I would have certainly taken the opportunity. I also would have gone into town had the train been on time, but it was 2-3 hours off the advertised by the time it got to Roanoke. There were other opportunities along the line, but I was fixated on getting the "pristine" shots without the people - as you said, preconceived notions may have cost me a unique opportunity.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote