Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
jdirelan87

Default RAW(NEF) vs. JPEG

This topic came up in another thread...

I shoot both, a high quailty RAW and low qauilty JPEG.

Use the JPEG for sites like RP.net (which means I just save over the orginal JPEG with the edit one).

Use the NEF (Nikon for RAW) for printing purposes (and I never save over the orginal).

I find that JPEG can't touch RAW, if anything for the simply fact that there is at least 5 times more data in a RAW file to work. The only advantage to JPEG I see is the working time (since it takes so much less time to load) is much faster than RAW.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:12 AM   #2
JRMDC

I shoot RAW and I've been meaning to try out RAW+JPG to see whether the convenience is worth it for me in terms of storage space on card and HD and buffer space in my camera. Just another little project to play around with, got lots of those.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #3
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

I shoot RAW+JPG (large). However, I never really end up touching the JPG versions, as I'm always processing the RAW version anyhow. Maybe I'll just shoot in RAW, thereby freeing up more space on the memory card.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
alan-crotty

Default Raw + Jpg

I tried shooting RAW and JPG (large) together, the jpgs results were not up to that produced by RAW so I just do RAW now. Then resize depending on use.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
EdM

Default raw..etc

tried shooting raw+jpg. the raw printed better (Canon Zmbrsr) but to crop or edit (or whatever) the raw, it had to generate a .tif file... Color me confused.. comments/road map anyone??? Ed
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
alan-crotty

Default Confused?

Ed

When you shot RAW treat this file as your "negative" it is never altered, then you can always return to it and make a print in a different style.

So process your RAW file in your favourite RAW converter (preferably to a TIF file which loses no quality when saved and reopened). Do your edit, crop then print or reduce to small jpg for web use.

Alan
alan-crotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
EdM

Alan, yeh, looks like the way to go, tnx for the Y. ed
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
devights
Stephen De Vight

If you're trying cut down the time needed to work with RAW files another thing you can try doing is using a decent viewer program for RAW files. I've had great luck with Google's Picasa. Not only does it let you easily flip through RAW thumbnails it also has decent sorting/tagging features. Normally I find a picture through Picasa and then edit it in Photoshop.
Personally I see no point in saving both JPEG and RAW for my "quality" work, the 15 seconds it takes for me to tweak the additional RAW settings before editing is well worth the advantage; I only use JPEG when snapping pics at a party or other informal occasions.
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
JRMDC

For Canon cameras I find the Zoombrowser included with the camera to work well. My only complaint is that I cannot right click on a RAW image and open PS Elements. I also find the Microsoft RAW viewer for Win XP works well. My flow is to browse and delete pix in ZB and, when it comes time to process an image, right click on it in XP to open PSE.

I've now picked up a used Canon digicam (S70) and can use the same viewer and same CF cards for it and my 20D. Convenient.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 03-06-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
devights
Stephen De Vight

I used Zoombrowser for a while, until it decided to only work with one of my Canon cameras. It's not a terrible program, but it runs a bit slow and I see it as pretty featureless, not to mention the fact that it gets really pissy when you have more than one camera, or for that matter, a new camera (I blame Canon for trying to make sure that you can only use it with Canon products).
devights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM   #11
trainmonster

Exclamation

I just started shooting RAW and now I won't turn back... the last shots I did were tack-sharp and had better detail and less noise even when viewed at full, unprocessed size.

I use the newest version, 3.99, of Irfanview. On www.irfanview.com you can get the program, the newest plugins and Canon dll's. It then opens up .cr2 files just fine. I configured Irfanview to open Photoshop with the right-click "open with external editor" dialog. The raw file automtically opens Adobe RAW with which I can do anything I want. I save the RAW as a .tiff, edit that, and then save a jpg from that. RAW gets preserved as my digital negative.

Hope that helps.

Rich
Old 03-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by devights
I used Zoombrowser for a while, until it decided to only work with one of my Canon cameras. It's not a terrible program, but it runs a bit slow and I see it as pretty featureless, not to mention the fact that it gets really pissy when you have more than one camera, or for that matter, a new camera (I blame Canon for trying to make sure that you can only use it with Canon products).
It works great foir my two Canon cameras, not sure what your trouble might be. It doesn't have many features, true; all I need is to do side by side comparisons.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 03-07-2007 at 12:42 AM.