Old 02-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
mattyrob87

Default Disagree with the Bad Angle!

Hello All, been a while since I posted!

CP's tech train was in town, but unfortunately the weather wasn't the greatest. However I thought I had one worthy shot. It has been getting rejected for poor lighting and I thought I finally fixed it but now it has been rejected for bad angle.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=650434&key=0

Now I'm not trying to bring down this photographer, because he was the one who gave me the idea, but is this not the same angle?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=200559&nseq=3

What do you guys think? I think the picture has a good shot at making the site! Am I crazy? Thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated!
mattyrob87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

A few things I notice right off the bat - the rejection is not in the best of light, especially compared to the shot you pose as its equal, which is taken in sun, with a pretty desirable angle of coverage. Also, your shot has some clutter to the left of(a ton of wires), and behind the train - half a pole (with a pretty distracting wire leading off-frame), half a signal box, and towards the front of the engine, a signal mast, partially obscured. It makes for a pretty muddy image. Sometimes it's those details that you don't notice when taking the shot that turn into a real dealbreaker when you get home and dump the card.

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
capwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

Well the other angle you showed is very different I think, plus it has the human element with the person waving. If I as going to crop it, I would take some off of the left side of the image and a bit off the bottom.
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Walter S

Send a message via AIM to Walter S

This is what I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RP_forum_edit.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	3856  
Walter S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
KevinM

Hmmm. Perhaps the latest Screener to look at the shot didn't fully grasp why you shot it as a going away picture. Generally, unless the shot has pretty scenery or something really interesting going on, RP doesn't like going away shots. In this case however, the "action" is in the back of the train, not up front.

I personally don't find the clutter nearby as distracting as some folks might. I also think that Walter's attempt at cropping does improve the shot....by taking out the bland sky and the unrelated objects and just leaves the train and the mountains. The only issue left is lighting. I think it is too bland looking and that's what's really turning the Screeners off. It isn't helped by the paint scheme on the cars, which isn't terribly appealing even in bright light. The shot you are comparing to at least has somewhat richer colors because of brighter sun and better sun angle. I do think your shot (because of the cloudy sky) does a better job showing the action in the back of the car. Just not sure that overcomes the lighting deficiency.

Just for grins, try the recrop. Also play with PS controls and see if you can bring out any more color in the shot. When you get it as good as you can make it, try one more time and include a note explaining why you shot the train going away.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 02-26-2009 at 07:57 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
jnohallman

Is it just me, or does the shot look soft too?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
SamD

I actually thought that second shot was another reject at first, since it seems really poorly cropped IMO. But it is a better exposure, and the guy waving is a plus.

The rejected shot has a pretty serious lack of contrast, and the colors seem washed out (probably because of the contrast. As for angle, I think the awkward position of the signal bungalow on the left and the signals on the right are probably what's getting the bad angle.

Do you maybe have other frames that show the train in a better position with regards to those objects? I think if you fix that and the contrast you can get this in.
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
SamD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Hmmm. Perhaps the latest Screener to look at the shot didn't fully grasp why you shot it as a going away picture. Generally, unless the shot has pretty scenery or something really interesting going on, RP doesn't like going away shots. In this case however, the "action" is in the back of the train, not up front.
Aren't obs cars and cabooses pretty much a universal exception to the going-away rule for that reason?
SamD is offline   Reply With Quote