Old 02-28-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
Lee Baxter

Default Long Exposures on 40d

Hi All
Just thought id share this with you all, maybe somebody can help, i recently took some long exposures on a 40d and they are very grainy, way worse than my 350d and also the 20d i had, below are a couple of examples,this was taken on the 20d and is unedited

And this on the 40d also unedited

Im sure the 40d would have to be better than the 20d, so i must be doing something wrong, ive also tryed noise reduction on the 40d and was not happy.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Baxter; 02-28-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Lee Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

Also owning a 40d, the only real input I've got for you is that maybe the sodium light creep from off the frame was messing with things? Especially if you're just shooting jpg, you can expect a bit of red pixels, or other artifacts, which seem to be more obvious the longer the exposure. Think of it as color shift on film - the longer the shutter is open, the weirder things get. What ISO are you using?

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
capwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Lee Baxter

Thanks , the camera settings were 100iso, both around 620 second exposure and F8, F9 on the apeture, i cant see any diference in settings between the 2 cameras, but the 20d was a lot less noise, this is why i think it may be me, but i cant see anything in the settings.
Lee
Old 02-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

What did you open the RAW's with? Did you run the new CD that came with the 40D DPP? I find night photo's look better in Canons RAW then all others. The 2 shot looks way dark to start with, no tweaking at all?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
ken45
LA&SL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Baxter View Post
Hi All
, ive also tryed noise reduction on the 40d and was not happy.

Lee
You're talking in camera noise reduction, right? My few long exposure shots looked terrible on my 30D till I started using the in camera noise reduction. Then they become tolerable because I could work with them and hit the rest of the noise with Noise Ninja. If you aren't using in-camera noise reduction on the long shots already, give it a try with it. You'll lose useability of the camera while it works on it, but the results are worth it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
If you aren't using in-camera noise reduction on the long shots already, give it a try with it. You'll lose useability of the camera while it works on it, but the results are worth it.
Nothing like waiting 15 minutes after already waiting 15 minutes

I agree though, In camera noise reduction is a life saver when shooting longer than 60 seconds.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Baxter View Post
Hi All
Just thought id share this with you all, maybe somebody can help, i recently took some long exposures on a 40d and they are very grainy, way worse than my 350d and also the 20d i had, below are a couple of examples,this was taken on the 20d and is unedited
You should have picture inspected by a UFO research lab.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Lee Baxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken45 View Post
You're talking in camera noise reduction, right? My few long exposure shots looked terrible on my 30D till I started using the in camera noise reduction.
Ken, i was talking about in camera noise reduction, just thought if i did no noise reduction with the 20d, why should i have to with the 40d. + shooting lightning im not going to wait 10 mins for another shot. Ive used noise ninga trial, looked OK but like i said upgrading from a 20d to a 40d, i would expect it to be a little better.

Quote:
What did you open the RAW's with? Did you run the new CD that came with the 40D DPP? I find night photo's look better in Canons RAW then all others. The 2 shot looks way dark to start with, no tweaking at all?
I have not played with the raw files yet, they are JPEG's out of camera, and the ones i tryed to edit were ran through CS3. I thought the exposure was ok, for complete darkness.
This is an edited version 5 minute edit in CS3. taken on 20d with no noise reduction.

Thanks Jim, just a mobile phone torch.

Lee

Last edited by Lee Baxter; 03-01-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add link
Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
khalucha

I use the in camera noise reduction also. It sucks waiting the time, but without it the pictures look horrible from what I have found.

This was my first attempt at shooting lighting, so I had the in camera NR on, ISO way to high 1250, F/18 for 30 seconds. Pictures of the previous storm that passed through an hour prior were nothing but a big blur. I did not use any other NR in CS3 simply because I do not know how to use it properly and never really sat down to try.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff

Last edited by khalucha; 04-23-2012 at 12:41 AM.
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
khalucha

Forgot to add that the redness in the sky is from the wind, which created a dust storm. The picture is still grainy but not as bad at the prior ones that I tried. I am sure if I had the ISO set a lot lower they would be cleaner looking too.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalucha View Post
I am sure if I had the ISO set a lot lower they would be cleaner looking too.
Definitely. There's no need to shoot at anything but the slowest ISO setting possible on your camera if you're using a tripod to shoot lightning.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #12
khalucha

Yea, I know now. It was my first attempt and it was a really wicked storm that came through, the lighting flashes was just unbelievable. The news stated they had 300 strikes in and hour. It was a great time to shoot but nervous at the same time while doing so. Summer is almost here so I will hopefully have plenty of chances depending on the season.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff