Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default Overexposed 7PM

How ??? What?? The sky?? Yes there is blue spike but the sky is third part.

No 1
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=387063837


Revision
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=302304365

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
EMTRailfan
Senior Member
 
EMTRailfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.
Posts: 1,456
Default

I'm guessing that the beige building on the left with the balconies is stucko and not brick? If it is brick, it is over exposed. That and you lose the power lines in that same building and sky. I'm not seeing over exposed anywhere else though.

It is possible to have over exposure at 2 AM. Time of day does not matter.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth 1000 Words. A Memory Is Worth 1000 Pictures.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Your revision is better but the sky is still lightly over exposed. Its white, should be some color.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Porch enclosure on building painted, power line is light grey. Clouds left over from midday rain at horizon....should be white there.

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Chris Z
Senior Member
 
Chris Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Libertyville, Il
Posts: 937
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z
Default

I think you probably need get it to something like this. Although, now I see a lot of noise.

Chris Z.

Last edited by Chris Z; 04-01-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
Porch enclosure on building painted, power line is light grey. Clouds left over from midday rain at horizon....should be white there.

David Harrison
Tell that to the screeners then.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Tell that to the screeners then.
10-4!

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Z View Post
I think you probably need get it to something like this. Although, now I see a lot of noise.

Chris Z.
Expert testimony...you brought out the clouds I mentioned.

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
Expert testimony...you brought out the clouds I mentioned.

David Harrison
Yea clouds you can see because they have tonality. Your shot was just blownout bright white. That is known as being overexposed.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

If I'm trying to expose the train correctly, why should I pay attention to the sky's exposure? In this late light the sky wasn't that blue. Is it possible to expose both in this light?

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
ottergoose
American Gunzel
 
ottergoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 1,626
Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
If I'm trying to expose the train correctly, why should I pay attention to the sky's exposure? In this late light the sky wasn't that blue. Is it possible to expose both in this light?
I expose for the train and correct the sky in photoshop - it's much easier to fix the sky than it is railroad equipment.
__________________
Nick Benson | Pictures | Website | Flickr | Profile | JetPhotos | Twitter
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #12
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
I expose for the train and correct the sky in photoshop - it's much eaaier to fix the sky than it is railroad equipment.
Thanks, I guess I gotta go to the next iPhoto workshop at the downtown apple store.

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 AM   #13
ottergoose
American Gunzel
 
ottergoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 1,626
Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harrison View Post
Thanks, I guess I gotta go to the next iPhoto workshop at the downtown apple store.
While I'm not completely familiar with all of iPhoto's capabilities, I think you might be better served devoting some time learning about software that's used for more serious photography - PhotoShop Elements should be available for OS X, as are free alternatives like GIMP.
__________________
Nick Benson | Pictures | Website | Flickr | Profile | JetPhotos | Twitter
ottergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
While I'm not completely familiar with all of iPhoto's capabilities, I think you might be better served devoting some time learning about software that's used for more serious photography - PhotoShop Elements should be available for OS X, as are free alternatives like GIMP.
UGH!! Goin to the 3 R's.....schooltime.

aperture and adobe photoshop workshop-...back to back.

apple store Chicago, Mon. 8/10/09.
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #15
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

David;

Are you shooting on full manual? Full auto? Shutter priority? Aperture priority? You have some really nice shots on RP. They actually blew me away when I looked through them all as most of what I see from you are in these forums. You're definitely doing something right somewhere, but it seems to me, not trying to be offensive, that somewhere along the way you're still having problems. I'm not sure if it's the shooting part or the post processing part. Again, not trying to be offensive. You have some great stuff on here. Knowing that, it slightly confuses me that you don't understand you -- generally speaking -- can over expose a shot at anytime of the day in any circumstance.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #16
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Thanks for the compliments.

Joe, you 'n the others I hold in high respect. Hard to write today. Lamp fell on laptop ruined whole row .......x-x-x-x-g-h-j-k-l-;-' new board Monday.

Trying to do more manual, but when I'm on the train, it will be auto.

Big trouble with manual focus.....thought it was in focus...it wasn't.

Processing....when I have to blow up image...lose quality. Plus iPhoto can't change part of photo...slider changes entire photo. Mon. workshop will be good thing.

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #17
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Trying to do more manual, but when I'm on the train, it will be auto.

Big trouble with manual focus.....thought it was in focus...it wasn't.
I think there're some signals crossed: Joe's asking how you expose your shots and you're answering about focus. How do you set your shutter and aperture is another way to word Joe's question...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose View Post
I expose for the train and correct the sky in photoshop - it's much easier to fix the sky than it is railroad equipment.
An overexposed sky is easier to fix than an underexposed train?
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
I think there're some signals crossed: Joe's asking how you expose your shots and you're answering about focus. How do you set your shutter and aperture is another way to word Joe's question...
Sorry I wrote in shorthand....my laptop keyboard will be fixed tomorrow.

shutter and aperture...... mostly automatic......I use "Sports scene" fast enough to stop motion.

But since iPhoto can't change part of photo... "saturation, exposure, contrast, brightness, etc", slider changes entire photo. I need tomorrow's workshops .....aperture and adobe photoshop workshops...back to back....to take the next step.

David Harrison
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
Frederick
Senior Member
 
Frederick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Hastings, Minnesota
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
An overexposed sky is easier to fix than an underexposed train?
After data has been clipped due to serious under/overexposure, it can't be recovered since it's pure black or white with no detail to bring out. Although, brightening darkened areas like shadowed trucks is more likely to bring out noise.
__________________
Railpics Photos

Flickr Account

Last edited by Frederick; 08-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #21
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,905
Default

I think the issues you've had with exposure should compel you to jump off the auto ship and start shooting on full manual. In time, you'd be thankful you did. As for focus, I shoot mainly auto too except for a rare stationary subject. My eyes won't let me shoot any other way.

Your work makes me wish I could go to Chicago, David.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I think the issues you've had with exposure should compel you to jump off the auto ship and start shooting on full manual. In time, you'd be thankful you did. As for focus, I shoot mainly auto too except for a rare stationary subject. My eyes won't let me shoot any other way.

Your work makes me wish I could go to Chicago, David.
Joe, Come on.....see our "L" up close. Plus I'm contractor for Museum Great Train story...give you the complete tour.
msichicago.org

Either aperture or adobe photoshop.... hope one helps my exposure problem.

David

Last edited by David Harrison; 08-09-2009 at 11:07 PM. Reason: url
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
WembYard
Senior Member
 
WembYard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Posts: 646
Default

David, do you shoot RAW files? Though they are not the magic answer to overexposed skies, it makes them a lot easier to fix as there is more detail retained in the image which can then be brought out when processing.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #24
David Harrison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WembYard View Post
David, do you shoot RAW files? Though they are not the magic answer to overexposed skies, it makes them a lot easier to fix as there is more detail retained in the image which can then be brought out when processing.
Just back from the Apple store yesterday...did three workshops, keyboard was fixed, purchased Photoshop Elements 6....the manual is 300 pages, but there are tutorials. Looks like a steep learning curve, but I think it will help in some of my past problems. I'll know I'm successful when I get some past rejects posted to the DB.

I don't shoot RAW and plan to learn to work with Photoshop Elements first, before trying anything else.
David Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 PM   #25
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick View Post
After data has been clipped due to serious under/overexposure, it can't be recovered since it's pure black or white with no detail to bring out. Although, brightening darkened areas like shadowed trucks is more likely to bring out noise.
So what would you prefer, no data or data with a little noise?
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.