Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default I guess this is PEQ?

No rejection reason, except for a comment from the screener.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...98&key=4373213

For the most part, I have been letting the H unit rejections go unless it's for something really fixable like level or sharpening. The glare did not/does not bother me, nor does the rejction, for that matter. But is there anything I could do to reduce the glare? I took 666 shots, so I probably have a less glaring shot somewhere.

I also got a STP reject for this one

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...09&key=6857371

But the closest thing I could find was another one of my shots --

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

And, yeah, I put in the wrong number. But are tehy that similiar that one should be excluded in your opinion? I imagine after a while, the screeners eyes must glaze over at the shots they are seeing. I'd hate to be in their shoes. I am trying to watch what I upload. For instanef, one of my favorite shots is of the 8114 passing the NS 1616, but someone else already got nearly the same shot accepted.

I am surprised at what is my most popular (of three) shots from Foam Fest. It's of the 8025 and I can only guess folks are clicking on it because it's the only shot of that unit on here so far rom this week.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©
Old 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Missabefan

On the STP shot, if you wait a few days/weeks and re-submit when things from foam fest calm down it should be fine. But, before you re-submit, remove the dust spots from the sky.
It does look like a good time was had by all that attended and the weather looked like it cooperated as well.
Missabefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
magicman_841

It's about time they started giving out STP rejects.

FWIW, you have two dust spots in the shot... a big one in the sky right above 8101, and another one at the top of the frame, above 8105.

As for the glare, I do find it a bit distracting, but it does not ruin the shot at all.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
For the most part, I have been letting the H unit rejections go unless it's for something really fixable like level or sharpening. The glare did not/does not bother me, nor does the rejction, for that matter. But is there anything I could do to reduce the glare? I took 666 shots, so I probably have a less glaring shot somewhere.
For the glare, you could select the glare areas and them reduce the highlights or use levels. Sometimes a little bit helps a lot.

Regarding STP, as a non-attending-Spencer RP viewer, I am finding the wave of shots to be duller by the day. Nothing wrong with any individual shot, but the quantity. Change a unit or two, take a similar shot. To me the Spencer-heritage stuff is this year's wedgie excess. No offense to any of the photographers, and I certainly would have taken the same shots had I gone. But wow is it getting repetitive. Fortunately, thanks to technology, all I have to do is not click on those! And I am not doing so ...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
I had to make this meme for s*** and giggles

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman_841 View Post
I went through the Spencer shots before uploading any. It's one reason I loaded the shot of the 8025. No one else had before or since. I'm also fighting off the urge to load any shot of any heritage unit passing either the Southern E or the NS Baldwin, although this one was my second favorite shot that I took there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethep...in/photostream

I still haven't found the previous this one is similiar to though.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...18&key=6808397
Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
JRMDC

Someone else's shot from about the same spot, with the same glare, also rejected?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
magicman_841

Image © Tom Danneman
PhotoID: 402686
Photograph © Tom Danneman

Sun good, sodium lights bad.

Disclaimer: This is intended as an observation of the inconsistencies of the RP screening process and is in no way an attack against Mr. Hinson or Mr. Danneman.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
JRMDC

Conngrats, Joe, on three of the four To24, as of 9:03pm eastern time!

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Regarding STP, as a non-attending-Spencer RP viewer, I am finding the wave of shots to be duller by the day. Nothing wrong with any individual shot, but the quantity. Change a unit or two, take a similar shot. To me the Spencer-heritage stuff is this year's wedgie excess. No offense to any of the photographers, and I certainly would have taken the same shots had I gone. But wow is it getting repetitive. Fortunately, thanks to technology, all I have to do is not click on those! And I am not doing so ...
That's the problem with charters and special events. Too many RP contributors in one space, too few opportunities for something really unique, and the audience is sick of the event before you even get home. I much prefer lone-wolfing, but unfortunately for us steam-snobs, there aren't too many freights happening unless there's a charter.

My favorite shot from the foam-fest in NC so far is this one:

Image © RailPictures.net
PhotoID: 402391
Photograph © RailPictures.net

It shows more locomotives and MORE OF those locomotives than any of the other shots posted. It offers a unique perspective, it is colorful and shows lots of detail. Unfortunately, I'm betting that not everyone else had access to the shooting position that Chase used to get this shot.

Add one more ingredient to the recipe for a shot that stands above the rest....ACCESS. With access, it doesn't matter if there are a ton of of RP contributors there. You get the killer shot and they don't.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #11
Joe the Photog

That might be my favorite from there, too. Chase took it on Media Day. Not surprisingly they were not letting any of the multitude up on the roof the oother two days.

I tend to be a lone shooter, too, but it was great to finally meet some other RP folks, a few that used to post to these forums!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Someone else's shot from about the same spot, with the same glare, also rejected?
I did what joe did but didn't upload it because of the glare. I tried moving but nothing helped.