Old 06-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Curiosity about Mike's Colorado shots

I'll be heading west to Colorado sometime in the next twenty or thirty years and was wondering -

Where exactly is this location and where did the names "Clay" and "Rocky" come from?

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 412670
Photograph © Mike Danneman

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 485462

/Mitch

PS - Awesome shots!
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'll be heading west to Colorado sometime in the next twenty or thirty years and was wondering -

Where exactly is this location and where did the names "Clay" and "Rocky" come from?

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 412670

Image © Mike Danneman
PhotoID: 485462

/Mitch

PS - Awesome shots!
Mitch,

Rocky and Clay (name was changed to Eisile recently by the UP) are two passing sidings within close distance to each other on the eastern edge of Coal Creek Canyon. In relation to Mike's photos, Rocky is out of the frame on the lower left corner. While Clay/Eisile is to the right out of the frame. As to why Mike chose two names for two photos at the same location and angle, no idea why. But hope that helps!

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan View Post
Mitch,

Rocky and Clay (name was changed to Eisile recently by the UP) are two passing sidings within close distance to each other on the eastern edge of Coal Creek Canyon. In relation to Mike's photos, Rocky is out of the frame on the lower left corner. While Clay/Eisile is to the right out of the frame. As to why Mike chose two names for two photos at the same location and angle, no idea why. But hope that helps!
Thanks John!

Just to clarify - whose line is this? UP's with BNSF having trackage rights?

Do different railroads use different names for the sidings?

And - what is the actual location name - or is it perhaps an unincorporated county? Seems that is the name that should be listed while "Rocky" or Eisle" would be appropriate as "Location", though "Union Pacificís Moffat Tunnel Subdivision" would seem acceptable as well.

Is this a main line or - being single track - perhaps a branch or even a spur? Much traffic?

/Mitch
Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

UP owns the line. Pretty much, they own all of the ex DRGW trackage. BNSF has trackage rights from Denver pretty much all the way to the Feather River Canyon and I think Donner Pass in California. BNSF must follow UP's timetable and rules as per the trackage right agreement.

According to the map, depending what you use, Google for example, it's part of unincorporated Arvada. However, the land the track is on and Mike is on is part of the Jefferson County Open Space, which is open to the public. So if you want to use railroad location, I'd use Rocky or Big Ten Curve (that's what the trains are physically on), or if you want to get technical about it, put Arvada.

This is a mainline with branch lines (coal lines that branch off to the west to mines). Traffic on the Moffat Route is hit and miss but most of the time, you'll see anywhere between 4 - 10 trains per day. You're guaranteed two Amtraks, two possibly three BNSF trains, two UP manifests, the West or Rocky Local a few times per week, and of course coal traffic. You usually can see 1 - 4 coal trains in the morning, depending on when Amtrak is running. Then it's usually quite for track and time for trackriders. Then in the afternoon, UP and BNSF show up with a parade (sometimes) and then everything is halted for Amtrak #6. Other than that, it's pretty much get there at sunrise and start chasing a train because you never know if that'll be the last one of the day or what. Best bet is to keep listening to the scanner. Usually the dispatcher keeps MOW informed of upcoming traffic that needs to run. And track and times generally give you an idea when the next train shows up. Best bet is to scout out locations and just wait for something to show. That pretty much sums up the Moffat Route.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Thanks John!

Just to clarify - whose line is this? UP's with BNSF having trackage rights?

Do different railroads use different names for the sidings?

And - what is the actual location name - or is it perhaps an unincorporated county? Seems that is the name that should be listed while "Rocky" or Eisle" would be appropriate as "Location", though "Union Pacificís Moffat Tunnel Subdivision" would seem acceptable as well.

Is this a main line or - being single track - perhaps a branch or even a spur? Much traffic?

/Mitch

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
JimThias

Mitch, if you can't find Mike's spot, there's always this one I found:

For a small finder's fee of $50, I'll tell you where I was standing.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:08 AM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Am I the only one that thinks of this when I see these pictures?

troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 AM   #7
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Mitch, if you can't find Mike's spot, there's always this one I found:
Always wondered why you never posted a shot on RP from that location after returning from your trip. Did you ever manage to catch a train?

I've traveled quite extensively but never had the patience nor desire to spend a hard earned vacation day watching rails rust. Seems like a trip to get that shot might require doing just that? Either that, or taking the photo with less then optimal light. 'Course, if you are able to get a heads up in advance....

I was in Sparks, NV once and a friend knew someone at the railroad and we got a list of the trains for the next few hours. Zero. Good to know these things!

/Mitch
Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
JimThias

What an abortion some forums are when you accidentally hit the wrong key and lose all the text you just spent a few minutes typing. Mitch, I'll re-respond to your post in the next day or two after I'm no longer pissed off.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #9
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
What an abortion some forums are when you accidentally hit the wrong key and lose all the text you just spent a few minutes typing. Mitch, I'll re-respond to your post in the next day or two after I'm no longer pissed off.
Get a keyboard without an "ERASE EVERYTHING" key, fool.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
JimThias

My face last night.

At first, I was like:

And then I was like...

Old 06-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
Mgoldman

Been there, done that - especially with RP's forums. They have a tendency to log me off while I'm typing a response. Always save before I hit "submit" now.

Sucks you couldn't even click "Back" since what you typed was not ever entered.

/Mitch
Old 06-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Am I the only one that thinks of this when I see these pictures?
Evidently. You're a sick man, Troy.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #13
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

That is an incredible picture. It's amazing it could almost be a model railroad.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote