Old 12-31-2009, 04:22 AM   #126
DWHonan

I'm not in the mood to search back through over ten dozen posts, but hasn't the goal of "quality over quantity" been pointed out? We want to see your BEST photos, not a 15-shot sequence of images that don't even make a wave in passing at the rule of thirds (which I'm pretty sure was also previously mentioned). Take note of how others ask for critiques in the forum -- generally one or two shots in a thread and a request for "how do I make these better," not "will this be accepted?" -- and tailor your queries to follow that successful formula.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!

Last edited by DWHonan; 01-01-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: "Rule of two-thirds"? WTF was I thinking?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:25 AM   #127
gotransitf59ph

Send a message via AIM to gotransitf59ph Send a message via MSN to gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
No it was 15 jim.

The answer dude is No, No, a thousand times, NO. None of your shots so far will make it on. All of your cabcar shots are boring and the most recent one has distracting shadows and is not properly exposed.
FINE how about something more productive then? ill go to the telus VIA F40PH and a GO MP40
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0404.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	4985   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0351.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	4986  

Last edited by gotransitf59ph; 12-31-2009 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 AM   #128
crazytiger

David, If he doesn't listen to that truth, what will he?

Bad Angle on #1, Backlit on #2. All your shots are...crap. 100%. You need to listen to the advice on here so far or people will get fed up and shut up and won't help you. You are getting close to that.

PFL

Last edited by crazytiger; 12-31-2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 AM   #129
Joe the Photog

Don't feed the troll.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:34 AM   #130
gotransitf59ph

Send a message via AIM to gotransitf59ph Send a message via MSN to gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
I'm not in the mood to search back through over ten dozen posts, but hasn't the goal of "quality over quantity" been pointed out? We want to see your BEST photos, not a 15-shot sequence of images that don't even make a wave in passing at the rule of two-thirds (which I'm pretty sure was also previously mentioned). Take note of how others ask for critiques in the forum -- generally one or two shots in a thread and a request for "how do I make these better," not "will this be accepted?" -- and tailor your queries to follow that successful formula.
I cant ask "how do I make these better" because my shots my be bad anyway!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:39 AM   #131
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Don't feed the troll.
Wow. Honestly.. your the one to talk because I DONT get you on this forum and your talking sh*t about a new member who wants to get going on this because he knows he already needs the patience! All im trying to do is get help on this forum and making sure my shots are alright to be uploaded as rp material. I did not think that New members on this forum who want help on his/her new Nikon are being treated like sh*t. So if your saying im the troll and not anyone else then dont! It just makes things alot worse. With all do respect can you stop being a jerk?

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by gotransitf59ph; 12-31-2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:48 AM   #132
gotransitf59ph

Anyway.. I adjusted the pic with the lighting a bit What does anyone think? good or still needs improvement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0351.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	4987  

Last edited by gotransitf59ph; 12-31-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:48 AM   #133
crazytiger

Since you have (or at least started with one and it his hard to overcome first impressions) a stinkin' attitude about it, you are not getting the best reception. If you read carefully the advice presented here and you follow it, then come back with pictures that follow it (and a whole new attitude) you will have something. Oh, and congratulations on putting the readership on the forums into a bad mood toward new members.

Nobody likes double posters. EDIT: TRIPLE POSTERS!!!

PFL

Last edited by crazytiger; 12-31-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:54 AM   #134
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

so hey, do you have ANY shots that aren't from an overpass? i've rocked the YYZ a few times, and there's plenty of track-level, non-boring-passenger stuff to shoot. unless you are handcuffed to that bridge, why not stretch your legs a little bit, see what else your fine city has to offer, and change things up a little bit.

as for the forums, showing up guns blazing seems to be a silly way to play the game. not only do you lack the wit to keep up with the folks who populate this particular section of the internet, but your spelling, while it has improved slightly in the six (six? seriously? i know, right.) pages of this post, does nothing but make your motordrive images of 3/4 of a cab car that much more of a subject of ridicule.

some unsolicited advice? sure, no problem! check out what other people are submitting, and having accepted, to rp. this may be old news at this point, but seriously - measure your shots against even the most rampant boring shot champions on here, and seriously reflect on your attitude over the past few days. you'll get there, in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotransitf59ph View Post
FINE how about something more productive then? ill go to the telus VIA F40PH and a GO MP40

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #135
DWHonan

Quote:
I cant ask "how do I make these better" because my shots my be bad anyway!
Step 1: Acceptance of reality, which in this case is that the images you've shared with us do not meet RP's standards. You've achieved this acceptance, which is good, because it means you can move on and begin to improve your work.

My advice: Spend a couple days just browsing through the site and get a feel for what succeeds here. Acknowledge that the stuff from your recent trip won't cut it, and look forward to creating new material on your next trip trackside. Try to absorb some of the tips that you've been given in this thread and read through Chase's recent "Guidelines" post. Google the term "rule of thirds" and read up on that fundamental principle of composition. Heck, go to your local bookstore and buy a fundamentals of photography guidebook (I personally recommend Photography - Seventh Edition by London / Upton / et alia).

The bottom line here is that you're young, you're just beginning, and you shouldn't expect to have immediate success at RP. I stress "immediate" because if you accept constructive criticism from others and apply those lessons learned each time you head into the field, your work will improve. We all started somewhere, and when I began getting serious about photography in my teens I didn't have a forum like this available to help me develop my skills. It wasn't until I made contact with a columnist for a railfan publication and got some tips from him that I began to understand the basics of exposure, and I wasn't able to actually put all the concepts together until I took a photography course while in college.

So, be patient. I remember wanting everything to happen RIGHT NOW when I was a teen, and the world just doesn't function that way. Make steady progress towards improving your skills and the rewards will come.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:03 AM   #136
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by capwell View Post
so hey, do you have ANY shots that aren't from an overpass? i've rocked the YYZ a few times, and there's plenty of track-level, non-boring-passenger stuff to shoot. unless you are handcuffed to that bridge, why not stretch your legs a little bit, see what else your fine city has to offer, and change things up a little bit.

as for the forums, showing up guns blazing seems to be a silly way to play the game. not only do you lack the wit to keep up with the folks who populate this particular section of the internet, but your spelling, while it has improved slightly in the six (six? seriously? i know, right.) pages of this post, does nothing but make your motordrive images of 3/4 of a cab car that much more of a subject of ridicule.

some unsolicited advice? sure, no problem! check out what other people are submitting, and having accepted, to rp. this may be old news at this point, but seriously - measure your shots against even the most rampant boring shot champions on here, and seriously reflect on your attitude over the past few days. you'll get there, in time.
Sorry about that. I live near the CP galt sub so ill just go there one time on the trackside and take a photo of CP 243
Old 12-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #137
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWHonan View Post
Step 1: Acceptance of reality, which in this case is that the images you've shared with us do not meet RP's standards. You've achieved this acceptance, which is good, because it means you can move on and begin to improve your work.

My advice: Spend a couple days just browsing through the site and get a feel for what succeeds here. Acknowledge that the stuff from your recent trip won't cut it, and look forward to creating new material on your next trip trackside. Try to absorb some of the tips that you've been given in this thread and read through Chase's recent "Guidelines" post. Google the term "rule of thirds" and read up on that fundamental principle of composition. Heck, go to your local bookstore and buy a fundamentals of photography guidebook (I personally recommend Photography - Seventh Edition by London / Upton / et alia).

The bottom line here is that you're young, you're just beginning, and you shouldn't expect to have immediate success at RP. I stress "immediate" because if you accept constructive criticism from others and apply those lessons learned each time you head into the field, your work will improve. We all started somewhere, and when I began getting serious about photography in my teens I didn't have a forum like this available to help me develop my skills. It wasn't until I made contact with a columnist for a railfan publication and got some tips from him that I began to understand the basics of exposure, and I wasn't able to actually put all the concepts together until I took a photography course while in college.

So, be patient. I remember wanting everything to happen RIGHT NOW when I was a teen, and the world just doesn't function that way. Make steady progress towards improving your skills and the rewards will come.
Sorry. I just got spoiled about this thread because I have been spending more time taking videos of trains and not photos. I have a friend who can help me with this possibly because hes been using a Canon Powershot slr camera since 2005. Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #138
crazytiger

Like David (DWHonan) said, Don't expect success now. It has eluded me for a couple of months and of course, so has time trackside. But that's another story.

PFL
Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 AM   #139
cblaz

Quote:
Wow. Honestly.. your the one to talk because I DONT get you on this forum and your talking sh*t about a new member who wants to get going on this because he knows he already needs the patience! All im trying to do is get help on this forum and making sure my shots are alright to be uploaded as rp material. I did not think that New members on this forum who want help on his/her new Nikon are being treated like sh*t. So if your saying im the troll and not anyone else then dont! It just makes things alot worse. With all do respect can you stop being a jerk?
Step 1: Pick ONE shot at a time.
Step 2: Edit it to the best of your abilities (cropping, rotation, etc.)
Step 3: Upload to RP.
Step 4: When it gets rejected, bring it back and ask what you did wrong and how you can improve next time.
Step 5: Listen to the advice given.

If you keep posting 15 shots of the same cabcar or three versions of the same exact angle, no one will take you seriously and you won't get help.

Take a breath and slow down. Adding pictures to RP is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time, a lot of patience and a thick skin. If you don't have those three things, this may not be the railroad photography site for you.

- Chris
Old 12-31-2009, 05:31 AM   #140
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
Been wanting to say that too for quite some time, but didn't want his head to explode, lol!!!!

Seriously, the kind of quality Chase exhibits, his logical and detailed approach to workflow and his demeanor at this age destine him, in my opinion, to be one great, highly acclaimed rail photographer in the future. I was NOWHERE CLOSE to his quality when I was his age, back in the stone age.
Many thanks Barry! The kind words from everyone is nice to hear. Glad to see everyone enjoys my images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Chase, are you homeschooled?
Yes sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFan14 View Post
Homeschooling is the way to go! Ive been homeschooled for 7 years now, Railfan anytime I want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssw9662 View Post
I guess it's a smaller world than I thought. I've been homeschooling since 2nd grade and I will continue to do so until I graduate from high school in 2011. Although obviously I homeschool for academics first and foremost, the flexible schedule is also a huge plus for photography among other things.

(sorry again for steering the thread off course)
The flexible schedule is definitely a nice touch! I'm thankful to be able to railfan when I wish.

Quote:

Thanks

Mike
I think it's time you got a timeout, Mike. Your immature comments are beginning to convince me that my time and effort in giving you a legit answer and my honest opinion was simply, not worth it.

I think our time and effort is something you should earn. I hardly find it right that we should give you legit advice when you upload 10 photos of the same, cut off cab car and act more immatue than my 10 year old sister.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 AM   #141
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
I think it's time you got a timeout, Mike. Your immature comments are beginning to convince me that my time and effort in giving you a legit answer and my honest opinion was simply, not worth it.

I think our time and effort is something you should earn. I hardly find it right that we should give you legit advice when you upload 10 photos of the same, cut off cab car and act more immatue than my 10 year old sister.
Have to disagree, Chase. He really hasn't done anything over the top to earn a request for a ban, especially with the "holier-than-thou" way you presented it. He's just discovered a new site and is very eager to participate. If you don't feel like contributing and/or putting up with the nonsense, move on to the next thread. The forums will never be tailored to your exact liking.

- Chris
Old 12-31-2009, 05:42 AM   #142
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Have to disagree, Chase. He really hasn't done anything over the top to earn a request for a ban, especially with the "holier-than-thou" way you presented it. He's just discovered a new site and is very eager to participate. If you don't feel like contributing and/or putting up with the nonsense, move on to the next thread. The forums will never be tailored to your exact liking.

- Chris
Chris, perhaps you didn't notice the ten attachments of the same (or very similar) cab cars? I'm all for throwing in my opinion, as long as the images are different and he is wishing to take the advice we've provided into consideration. I took the double upload of the same attachments as annoying. Perhaps as you stated, he is simply just wanting to participate and is doing so in the best way he can. If so, all is well and I take back what I said.

Chase
Old 12-31-2009, 05:45 AM   #143
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post

- Chris
Thanks Chris!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #144
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Many thanks Barry! The kind words from everyone is nice to hear. Glad to see everyone enjoys my images.

Yes sir.

The flexible schedule is definitely a nice touch! I'm thankful to be able to railfan when I wish.

Chase
Dude Im not acting like your 10 year old sister! What cblas said is exactly what i was trying to say but i couldnt explain otherwise!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #145
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Chris, perhaps you didn't notice the ten attachments of the same (or very similar) cab cars? I'm all for throwing in my opinion, as long as the images are different and he is wishing to take the advice we've provided into consideration. I took the double upload of the same attachments as annoying. Perhaps as you stated, he is simply just wanting to participate and is doing so in the best way he can. If so, all is well and I take back what I said.

Chase
Dude I do want to participate! Why wouldn't I want to? I love this stuff! cblas like saved me!
Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 AM   #146
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Dude I do want to participate! Why wouldn't I want to? I love this stuff! cblas like saved me!
Good deal. I was simply taking your continuous uploads of the same image otherwise. As I suggest previously, the Railpictures Beginners guide in my signature might help you out.

Chase
Old 12-31-2009, 06:04 AM   #147
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Don't ban him! This is the best thread on RP in a long, long time.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
Old 12-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #148
gotransitf59ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
don't ban him! This is the best thread on rp in a long, long time.
Thanks! Woot! Woot!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #149
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboysd40 View Post
Don't ban him! This is the best thread on RP in a long, long time.

Almost 150 replies.

Chase
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 AM   #150
GLC 392

I have no idea how in the hell i missed this.... All i want to say(and yes i know its late but oh well) theres no reason to get pissed when RP reject's alot of your photos and knocks you down to only uploading 1 photo a day, i went through the same thing a year or so ago blew up on the site and started yelling at the screeners because i was knocked down on uploads and no appealing rights it wasnt worth it just made me look like a ass. Trust me its not worth it, it doesnt get you anywhere just makes you look like a powdy little kid, i know you were mad at the time but i mean this is suppose to be for fun am i right? Everyone has a reject every now and then but you will get better as time rolls on. Since my decline in uploads i have had 100-150 added to the site and plenty of rejects

Good luck with your photography in the Future, you will get the hang of it.

SM
Closed Thread