Old 04-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #26
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I've been itching to shoot a news story as a ride along with a crew. I think it would be eye opening to me AND the viewers to see what these folks see day in and day out. The trouble is that I've had trouble in the past getting a Class 1 to agree to this in my viewing area.

Joe
What about a smaller operator? I have to say that something like 95% of the news reports we get here in LA that include a running train are shot on one publicity friendly railroad (the Fillmore & Western).
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
Joe the Photog

I don't think I could convince them to send me to the Fillmore & Western!

Seriously, I have thought about a smaller opreation. Maybe I can ride in the Carolina Southern F unit!

Joe
Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #28
gbrozny

Send a message via ICQ to gbrozny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
I've been itching to shoot a news story as a ride along with a crew. I think it would be eye opening to me AND the viewers to see what these folks see day in and day out. The trouble is that I've had trouble in the past getting a Class 1 to agree to this in my viewing area.

Joe
I was lucky enough to ride along with Ohio Central on one of the though NS coal trains, there were people walking on the tracks just about everywhere, in one spot there was a bum walking his dog on the track, it took some horn to get him off the track, and he just moved about 10 ft off to the right and sat down in the weeds. We passed basically a tent city just out of downtown Columbus, the crews comments was it is not as bad as it was, and one night they went though there and they had a big camp fire going under an overpass between the CSX Columbus sub and the NS Western Branch tracks (100 ft separation between the two or so). The worse I saw was a group of kids walking on the tracks, as we passed them, they started throwing rocks at the train, guess they had no idea that if they happen to hit the train in just the right spot, it would whip the rock right back at them at a high rate of speed.
gbrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 AM   #29
Wonka001

I used to be one of those idiots that threw rocks at trains, and put rocks on railroad tracks.. I was even dumb enough to try it when the switch train was right there in the middle of switching. I put rocks on the tracks while it was stopped, it then started moving. I backed away from the track and stood up and hit my head on a ladder from a tank car. I was extremely lucky to not have fallen forward. I still think back to that day.. What if I had fallen forward onto the track instead of backward..

It's not worth it.

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote