Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Mike Hughes

Default Another rejection - help please

I sent this one in http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...1&key=98628084

It got rejected on two counts

1. bad angle or a 'going away' shot. In fact the loco is travelling bunker first. Perhaps there are opther considerations to this part of the rejection

2. Unlevel horizon. Believe it or not I actually turned the horizon to the left by 1 degree because I thought it wasn't straight. Perhaps I'd get away with the original but I'd like to think there was a chance of getting it into the database before I spend too much more time on this one.

They say this is fun but I've yet to see the fun when you keep getting rejected . At least something is getting through as my wife commented that my (non railway) photos are getting better !

As always constructive criticism is very welcome.
Mike Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

They don't much care for back ends, Just dont see it unless its pulling cars , light power no.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 04-11-2008 at 07:42 PM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
KevinM

Mike, I concur with what Richard says. While this is a good shot of a sharp-looking loco, the RP guys don't like rear quarter roster shots at all. I have noticed a couple of exceptions though:

- Loco pulling cars, but running in reverse. As long as it looks like an action shot (vs a roster shot) and meets the quality standards for exposure, focus, composition etc, those can get in. There are numerous shots in RP that were taken in the UK involving this type of operation.

- Mountain railways, including cog (rack) railways in which the locos typically PUSH the consist up the hill. In those cases, shots from the front are actually LESS interesting than rear quarter.

- Really unusual operations. There were a couple of shots submitted a couple of weeks ago of a famous tourist RR in the US that was running one loco pulling at the head of the consist and one loco pushing on the tail end. That one was rare enough that the Screeners apparently made an exception.

It is frustrating, because there are railroads that only run their locomotives forward northbound. In those cases, good, RP-worthy photo opportunities are almost non-existant.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Wonka001

Quote:
It is frustrating, because there are railroads that only run their locomotives forward northbound. In those cases, good, RP-worthy photo opportunities are almost non-existant.
That is what night photography is for. That's why you only see night shots of the Roper Yard (from me anyway) It took me several attempts to realize I needed to go at night, and get my shots from a certain place near the yard.

Take this shot for instance..
Image © WGrow
PhotoID: 158412
Photograph © WGrow

The head power is facing north.. AND it's under a viaduct which puts the whole scene in shadows, and if they were out in the sun, most of the year the noses aren't lit.

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Mike Hughes

Thanks for the comments guys. It's all good stuff to learn (I think!).

Let's see if the other lessons are sinking in. Ignoring the fact that the loco is going backwards, does the photo meet the other RP criteria in respect of colour, sharpness, not in middle of photo, etc.

I'll try uploading a few that I took of the loco facing forward next week, but I fear that it will get rejected for backlight - at least I know know what that one means!

Any one else with comments please keep 'em coming.
Mike Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hughes
Let's see if the other lessons are sinking in. Ignoring the fact that the loco is going backwards, does the photo meet the other RP criteria in respect of colour, sharpness, not in middle of photo, etc.
Well, it IS in the middle of the photo! That's OK for a "roster shot," a shot that features the engine and ignores the area around the engine.

But let's get back to level. You said you rotated CCW. That was a bad idea.

It looks like you leveled on the grab iron above "Great Western." If a horizontal part of a shot is not perpendicular to the camera, if one end is further back than the other, then in general that line should not be horizontal in the image. (The exception is when that line is precisely at camera level.) Look at the station, it is noticeably tilted. (This is a matter of perspective, of turning three dimensions into two.)

I think a good indicator is a vertical line. Verticals should, almost always, be vertical, regardless of whether they are above or below camera level, the angle a train is positioned at, etc. (The exceptions include, among other things, a train that is leaning into a superelevated curve, or a train on a noticeably steep grade, viewed from the side.) Try leveling on the two vertical grab irons on either side of the cab opening.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-12-2008 at 12:01 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

If it had some one's head poking out and looking rearwards, that would help. Pulling cars out backwards , making smoke that makes it look like it is moving backwards. Maybe somethings that may have helped it get in, next time you try the same shot. Your Photography is fine, as you figure out RPnet out you will get shots on.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote