Old 03-30-2016, 05:01 PM   #301
TheOldMan

Glad I went to the Ribbon cutting and stayed until RJ Corman locomotive No. 3812 left for Chadburn.

It was a really great event to attend, and I did take some photos.

-John Fogherty, Green River
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #302
Joe the Photog

I couldn't make the ribbon cutting, but Patrick Treadaway did --

Image © Patrick Treadaway
PhotoID: 571386
Photograph © Patrick Treadaway

And then went by the Mulins interchange where GP38 #7710 was waiting to be picked up by RJC. The attached freight cars are for a customer in Nichols, whose name escapes me at the moment, but this was their seond inbound shipment.

Image © Patrick Treadaway
PhotoID: 571443
Photograph © Patrick Treadaway
Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #303
ShortlinesUSA

Carolina Eastern is the shipper, Joe. They are a fertilizer distributor.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #304
ShortlinesUSA

Motive power changes I have been able to discover, in addition to the two GP38s RJ Corman brought onto the line are:

GP18s 100, 950, 951: retained by RJ Corman, 100 already shipping out. These are suspected to be rebuild candidates, but it is unknown if they will return to the RJCS.

GP38s 2005, 3617: sold to S&S Sales and Leasing (SSRX), leaving soon.

GP38 4002: sold to SSRX, apparently resold to Progress Rail (PRLX), leaving soon.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #305
TheOldMan

Does anyone know when Metglass will resume using the railroad?

And, has construction started yet on the Stainless Steel plant in Loris?

And, any news about RJC's hopes of getting a Volvo plant on their Carolinas line?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #306
ShortlinesUSA

I can answer one of those-- Volvo will build their plant in Berkley County, near Ridgeville, SC. NS will provide service from their Charleston-Columbia mainline.

That said, in an interesting twist, Palmetto Railways (run by a state agency) has proposed to build a line from Cross, SC (CSX) to the Volvo plant to provide two-shipper access. Who knows if that will fly.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #307
TheOldMan

Thanks for the update, Mike.

An RJC locomotive stopped on the track near the grade crossing of Country Club road in Conway a day or two ago, and some Corman trucks, one with a crane on it, are apparently doing some track repair.

At Canfor lumber, the traffic, while light, is steady, with 5 centerbeam flatcars being used, 2 loaded at a time.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #308
ShortlinesUSA

That is good to hear. Hopefully RJC can methodically bring these shippers back and get some steady traffic going.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #309
TheOldMan

I haven't seen it in person yet, but there has been a report that a refuse container is now at the Metglass siding, for improvements to be made there.

Some time back, I was told that the trucking companies had outbid RJC for ash removal from the now demolished Santee Cooper plant, but recently have been told there is still a possibility of RJC getting that task, although Santee did pull up the tracks from their right of way.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #310
Joe the Photog

I don't have the link in front of me, but RJC was granted a 10 million dollar grant to get the line built back up in Horry County. I imagine they plan to use some of this money to get the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway back operational
Old 08-01-2016, 03:37 PM   #311
ShortlinesUSA

Third time's a charm, or is it just that RJ Corman has better creds/reputation? Looks like the TIGER finally decided to call on the Carolina Southern. Short clip from Progressive Railroading's daily news brief:

"$9,765,620, to fund a freight railroad rehabilitation project between Mullins, S.C., and Chadbourn, N.C. The project will replace more than 8 miles of existing rail, install more than 50,000 ties, surface 75 miles of track and upgrade more than 24 at-grade rail crossings."

Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #312
Joe the Photog

I suspect it was Corman's reputation -- and for that matter that of the Pippins and the Carolina Southern -- more than anything. And also the fact that Horry Co. is going to bat for Corman probably doesn't hurt either
Old 09-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #313
TheOldMan

Today, an RJCorman train left the interchange with CSX, and that train had a number of tank cars on it. So far, no one knows just what the tank cars are carrying, or what business they are going to.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #314
ShortlinesUSA

Quite possibly bound for storage. Shortlines all across the US are storing crude oil tanks with the downturn in the oil industry, particularly older DOT 111 models (that is, the model which played a role in the severity of the Lac Megantic runaway derailment and explosion).

If you can lay eyes on these tank cars, the model type is on the right end of the car above the placard. It should be right above a table of data. If it is a DOT 111, it is almost assuredly for storage.

Thank you for posting the report!

Old 10-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #315
Joe the Photog

I understand one of the Corman engines was flooded in Nichols during Hurricane Matthew. One report had it nearly completely underwater. I believe it was their 3812.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:42 PM   #316
ShortlinesUSA

Oh, that's not good! If it is that bad in Nichols, I can only imagine there could well be significant flood damage to the line, particularly between there and Fair Bluff.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:29 PM   #317
troy12n

I was wondering how the flooding from the hurricane and the same flooding a few months back were having on the operation, seemingly every time they fix it, there's something happening.

I personally think this line is done and they should have pulled the plug years ago... SCL knew the line was doomed back in the 80's when they first sold it.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #318
troy12n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Today, an RJCorman train left the interchange with CSX, and that train had a number of tank cars on it. So far, no one knows just what the tank cars are carrying, or what business they are going to.
Car storage, truth be know, that's why RJC bought the line... to serve as a giant car storage yard
Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #319
TheOldMan

Thanks for the posts, Joe, Shortlines USA and troy12n.

Last week, a train crossed the Waccamaw River with not quite sure how many, their max is 7 empty centerbeam flats for Canfor Lumber, and 3 flats for Builders First Source. this week, one loaded flat went out along with the three then empty flats. Right now, two centerbeams are in the loading area, the yellow one fully loaded and the brown one beginning to be loaded on the east side, but still empty on the west side. Also, 2 empty yellow centerbeam flats are at the start of the loading track. Considering how bad the hurricane of 1999 was, with the railroad across the Waccamaw River closed for four months, recovery from this one has been relatively fast.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #320
ShortlinesUSA

This is really good to hear! I figured the line was going to be out for weeks, if not months. Nice to hear of the businesses on the Conway end shipping, too. Your continued reports are most appreciated here.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:19 PM   #321
TheOldMan

At a recent meeting of the Horry County Council's Transportation Committee, Mr. Bill Henderson of RJCorman gave the annual report on the County railroad leased by his company.

He said that Canfor lumber's average out shipments are 3-4 cars a week, and that they hope to increase production to where they would ship out 15-20 cars a week.

Mr. Henderson also said that a company on RJC's line in North Carolina claims that using the railroad had saved them $1 Million in freight shipping costs.

Although things are off to a slow start, Mr. Henderson said that his company is committed to getting the high volume traffic back, and making the line a success.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #322
TheOldMan

Two weeks ago, tomorrow, when I drove down Waccamaw Boulevard, a US 501 access road, on the Conway side of the waterway, both of the chain link fence gates at the Pine Island drawbridge were wide open.

I seriously doubt that the Horry County Public Works people who lowered the drawspan for the hurricane and then raised it again, after it had passed, would have left those gates open, for some under the influence and / or driver unfamiliar with the area to possibly drive their car onto the highway approaches, then have it smash into a concrete roadblock.

I saw that between 5:00 PM to 5:15 PM on that Friday, and the Public Works department was closed then, and also the first two days of the following week.

The next time I had the opportunity to be in the area, and check things out was probably Tuesday or Thursday of last week, and the gates were stil open.

On Friday of last week, I made a phone call to the Public Works department to report the open gates, and when I was in the area this week, the gates were once again closed, and presumably locked.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #323
TheOldMan

Today, I noticed new signs at the grade crossings at Carolina Forest and Depot Road. These were small blue signs with white lettering. Couldn't read what they said.

No activity on the railroad today.

Only activity I know of in the New Year, was a single car unloaded and trucked to Builder's First Source, at the Atlantic Center for Business and Industry.

No cars at the Canfor loading area in Red Hill.

And no rolling stock at the depot on SC 905, except the permanently parked cars on the house track.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #324
ShortlinesUSA

With some free time during a visit home to Charleston, I got a wild idea and decided to visit the RJ Corman Carolina Lines on Monday, March 21st. As I rolled up in the Red Hill area (just south of Conway, SC) around 8:45, I could hear them on the radio coming out of the switch at Builders First Source and they started coming up the line engine light as I grabbed a couple of shots of the RJCC 1701 display genset. I saw two loaded center beams at Canfor in Red Hill on the drive in and figured they would pick those up. Indeed, they did-- but I didn't notice that was a south-facing switch until they pulled past it and it became evident they were going to split the power and run double-ended. That turned what I thought was going to be a slow morning of just following them north until I could get them into the light from Chadbourn west into a highly productive chase with photos all over the place, which was a very welcome development because the only shots I had of the CALA days were between Chadbourn and Mullins.

The train stopped in Loris and picked up an empty center beam from Blanton Building Supply (at least, that is who it appears to be from Google). The train was now topped out at 3 cars, and the journey north continued. There were no other pickups or set offs along the way, and right about as my mental math figured for an 8-hour day including drive time, they tied it down in Nichols.

Some of the old Carolina Southern (CALA) power is still in Chadbourn just east of the depot. I heard some of it had been scrapped and most (if not all) was planned to be, but not so far. CALA 100 (faces west, beautiful afternoon photo), CALA 950 (faces east, nose coupled), CALA 951 (faces east, crosstie pile makes photos difficult), and Baltimore & Annapolis 87 (faces west, nose coupled) were all lined up just east of the depot.

RJ Corman also appears to have opened a materials yard at Chadbourn, as the area west of the depot has been opened up and has a fenced area with lots of heavy equipment and track materials stored in the lot. This does not appear to be a wreck response facility, but rather an MOW operation.

So y'all folks who might be inclined to vacation in Myrtle Beach, here is your new shortline target. Ops are M-F and the on duty time at Chadbourn to drive to wherever the train is will be around 0730. Figure up to an hour to get to the train if it is tied down on either end of the line, obviously less the closer to Chadbourn the train has been tied down the day prior. The actual time the train is typically on the move is from roughly 0900-1500 factoring drive time into an 8-hour day. This works out to roughly two full roundtrips on the line each week.