Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
jaanfo

Default Bad Motive?

I hate getting the obligatory "Bad Motive" comment because it's so broad. I recently submitted two photos, one of which I wasn't expecting to get into the database, but this was a surprise here because I consider it one of my better shots. Any reason you see that I got the "bad motive" verdict for this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=209251

I'm thinking it's because I let the subject blur (but that was the purpose of the photo)
jaanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:13 AM   #2
Ween

This is the rejection reason as stated (bolded text per me):

Quote:
- Bad Motive: This rejection reason means that the photo is of low esthetic qualities, or is simply not the type of material we are wishing to publish.
That kind of narrows the 'broad' rejection reasoning down...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:26 AM   #3
jaanfo

No, that's the entire reason I'm saying the reason is broad... What about that image do they not wish to publish? I'm not complaining that they rejected the photo, I'm wondering what about it caused them to reject it so that I don't submit something similar in the future.

The material they don't want to publish could be a number of things., ranging from it being blurry, to the picture being of a vehicle not FRA-compliant, to it just plain being an HRV... I just want to know what it is in that photo they don't want published.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:42 AM   #4
Ween

Quote:
I just want to know what it is in that photo they don't want published.
Fair enough, but the admin doesn't owe any of us a detailed explanation. Have you tried the appeal function?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
jaanfo

No, I was first hoping someone could provide some insight so I knew if I had grounds for an appeal first. If I were rejeceted on appeal do I get a better description of what's wrong with the image?

I know they don't owe us an explaination, which is why I'm here... not emailing them or appealing and resubmitting it
Old 01-31-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Ween

My experiences using the appeal function have been positive, even if the appeal was rejected because there tends to be more of a description of the reasoning. Give it a shot, explain why you think your shot should be in the database and see what happens...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:16 AM   #7
jaanfo

Quote:
Your appeal for photo id 209251 has been processed and has been rejected.
Admin Comments >> Just not the kind of shot we're looking for; sorry!
>> http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=209251

Doesn't seem to have helped... I got the exact same comment the screeners gave me. My problem is that the way it's worded is so vague. I think it's a gorgeous shot myself and it will stay in my personal collection, and if anyone else wants they can have it to (I'm being vain, I know ). I like the composition, the coloring, and the action... It's one of my better shots in terms of lighting, the screeners just don't like something about it, I wish I knew what.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #8
trainmonster

Just remember, now you can make comments to the screener when you submit the photo.

Maybe a comment like 'intentionally blurred' or something like that.

Either way, they'd want less station and more train in this one anyway.

Rich

Last edited by trainmonster; 01-31-2006 at 03:28 AM.
trainmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

If it's any consolation, I like the shot a lot. Of course, I'm not a screener, so that doesn't help you. But consider this. If photography is subjective, sometimes it just can't be put into words why one likes or does not like a shot. I think that might be the case here. The screeners just know that's not what they're looking for, even if they can't say exactly why.

Two things that do stand out about the shot, however. There seems to be something just a little off in the color. I wasn't there, of curse, so I don't kow what the real scene looked like, but it looks a little off. The composition of the shot is generally good, but the placement of the train could be closer to us. If the train was coming toward you, I would have waited just a hair.

But the shot rocks in my opinion!

Joe H.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 AM   #10
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

I actually like this shot as well. I think it is more exciting than alot of the common power wedge shots on here, but its not my site. Stash it in the personal collection and keep on trying!
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 03:51 AM   #11
jaanfo

I'm thinking that those wedge shots may be about all Ill be able to get on. Sadly, I was trying my darndest NOT to post one of those.

I did tell them it was intentionally blurred when I appealed. Didn't work apparently, just not what they want.

Thanks for the Consolation, feels good to know it's a nice shot anyway.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #12
jaanfo

I've thought about it with a clearer head, looked over the image and other images on the database, and I think I know what it is. As I stated above, I'm a person who likes to do things differently than anyone else... I have my own sort of style. I was told not to take a picture of a train after I submitted a photo pf a Pacific Surfliner which got rejected, I was told to take a picture of a train doing something if I wanted to get on

So in this case, I took it a little extreme, and did it my own way. In this image, the train is a footnote, the subject of the photo is the platform and the five people standing on it, so we have the people waiting for the train, rather then the train arriving to pick up the people. I guess I should prepare some of the Metrolink photos I took on the same day... photos of the trains.

I both understand and disagree if that is indeed the reason. While server space is limited, and this is a website for train photos instead of platforms, This photo was meant to show people using trains, as opposed to just trains.

I'll shut up now, still disappointed, but beginning to understand a bit more, which is why I started this thread in the first place. This WILL be in my personal collection if anyody ever opens up a similar database for Railroad life.

Last edited by jaanfo; 01-31-2006 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
Crusader

Just a thought but there are sites that specialize in posting transit pictures.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #14
Gordon Graham

Send a message via ICQ to Gordon Graham Send a message via MSN to Gordon Graham

How about this ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=209431

a photo with KCR 60 and the working cars
was rejected for Bad Motive ... What's wrong ?
Gordon Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
LAHDPOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Graham
...a photo with KCR 60 and the working cars
was rejected for Bad Motive ... What's wrong ?
I'd have to agree with the phrase "...low esthetic qualities..." from the reject statement. It's just too busy, with no real subject. There's no one thing that draws your eye and makes you think, hey, that's nice.

I didn't say it was your fault.... I said I was going to blame you.

Click Here to see my rp.net photos.

Click Here to see my "personal collection"
LAHDPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
Crusader

As one totally unfamiliar with the railroads of Hong Kong, their equipment, or yards...I find it a very interesting pic, with good light. I'd never seen an EMD G26 until viewing your photos.

To hazard a guess based on rejections that I've received, any shot that can be perceived as "cluttered" tends to have a more difficult time gaining acceptance. I've had several photos rejected for fences, overhead wires, or other items that typically adorn and define the urban railroad/transit landscape. In very general terms, a sweeping canyon vista is likely to beat a crowded urban maintenance yard 4 times out of 5.

Last edited by Crusader; 01-31-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #17
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanfo
I'm thinking that those wedge shots may be about all Ill be able to get on. Sadly, I was trying my darndest NOT to post one of those.

I did tell them it was intentionally blurred when I appealed. Didn't work apparently, just not what they want.

Thanks for the Consolation, feels good to know it's a nice shot anyway.

Wedge shots are overrated, especially ones of common power. Its a great shot, just keep on trying. Just because a photo does not get accepted here dosent mean its not a quality photo, I think the trend is that wedges are king now unfortunately, especially wedges of common power that anyone within 30 mins within a Class I can see on a hourly basis. I could fill up a hard drive in 2 days of common power wedge shots, as they require very little thought and no composition. Nothing against common power in general, but it CAN be made interesting thru the lense of a camera, be it by framing, surroundings, etc. There is also alot of older/retiring power that needs to be shot before Dash 9's get shot. NS is in the process of chopping the noses on their 38's and 40's and not many folks seem to notice. I guess its like a fish being attracted to a shiny object........people are attracted to shiny new engines.......Just my 2 cents worth but creativity is important when shooting VERY common power.

Last edited by fuente1; 02-01-2006 at 12:58 AM.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:44 PM   #18
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

I'll agree that wedge shots are getting old.... I've been working on some other stuff, but have not pulled anything great off yet... mostaly b/c of time constaints. Stupid midterms.

Anyways the subway shot.... Your lighting is good... the color is a lil off, but I'm not sure where to. It may have just been the florecent lighting in the tunnel. If you were to shoot it again you may want to try a lil onger shutter speed... see if that changes anything... mostaly train. I'd prefer the train a little bit more blury if your gonna blur it. Just my oppinion.

As for the subject matter, I can see that you were trying to focus on the people that are waiting for the train, but as said before the photo kinda lacks a focal point. The wall on the side seems to be the only thing that my attention is drawn to over and over again. I put your photo in Photoshop and tryed playnig whith cropping and came up with: http://www.toothpickmatt.netfirms.com/trains/2636.jpg

its not perfect, it was only a 2 minuit job, but it makes the lady on the platofrom the center of attention now instead of the wall. the train is still a side note, but i think it looks better croped closer to the train. so if you could try cropping it and resubmiting or going back and trying to reshoot it. It would probaly take several trys to get a good one, but I really think this could have potential as a really nice shot. I'll be honest, the original dosent do anything for me, but croped up or reshot it'll ends up looking pritty cool. have fun with it

as for the KCR 60 photo, i find it interesteting, but honesly there is too much happening in it for what they are looking for here. From the perspective of seeing how the RR looks or trying to model the RR it is a very good shot, but as a photo you would look at for enjoyment, there is no one center of focus... its like your attention is drawn to the engine, the yellow train, the building... just too much. as i said before, its a cool shot, just i dont think its what they want here.

~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 AM   #19
jaanfo

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=217046

ok... what did I do wrong here? I've seen pictures of broken sanders before, so I know something like this can make its way on to the site. I have pictures just showing the wheels, not the passengers, so should I try and upload one of those instead? Or do you think I should try and appeal this one?

On another note, I FINALLY got my first picture into RPNet... Ironically, I don't even like the shot and it's looking like it will be one of today's top shots. maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all along... just uploading the shots I like.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
bnsf sammy

Man thats one of my favorite shots on the site!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:01 AM   #21
Donna

Quote:
maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all along... just uploading the shots I like.
Now I think you have stumbled on to something.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 AM   #22
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera

I don't need to tell you your accepted picture rocks. Enough people are viewing it to tell you that. I did vote for it for People's Choice. It's really well done. The close up of the sander is another matter. I'd let it slide.

Joe
Old 02-24-2006, 12:27 AM   #23
Frederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaanfo
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=217046

ok... what did I do wrong here? I've seen pictures of broken sanders before, so I know something like this can make its way on to the site. I have pictures just showing the wheels, not the passengers, so should I try and upload one of those instead? Or do you think I should try and appeal this one?

On another note, I FINALLY got my first picture into RPNet... Ironically, I don't even like the shot and it's looking like it will be one of today's top shots. maybe that's what I've been doing wrong all along... just uploading the shots I like.
That's a great picture. I like the lights glowing in the fog and the reflections in the puddles.

That dwarf signal in the middle of the tracks looks like it could get chopped off by a passing train, because of the low clearance.

Flickr Account
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:51 AM   #24
willie6622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
That dwarf signal in the middle of the tracks looks like it could get chopped off by a passing train, because of the low clearance.
That is for blue flag / blue light protection. It is for when someone is working on or around the equipment (fouling). It must be removed before the train can move.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
MichaelJ
The Photo Journalist

Great night shot there, Jean!

What other photograph angles do people find interesting? I particularly like ones where the camera at or below track level looking up at the train. It appears to make the train leap out at the viewer.

For example, #Q902 passing the Glass House Mountains ...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=129261

Interesting backgrounds are also a favourite of mine ...
#87P2 passing through Patterson Loop with Mt Bauple in the background
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=128368

The views expressed in this reply are personal and do not represent the views or policy of my employer.

Last edited by MichaelJ; 02-24-2006 at 03:22 PM.
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote