Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
J

Default AEM-7 to RR Museum of Pennsylvania

915 being sent to the museum. Article doesn't mention whether it will be operable, visually restored, or kept indoors.

Photos are beginning to show up on the internet showing others being scrapped.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/....html?channel=
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
jdirelan87

While it may be operable, I doubt it will be operated for obvious reasons. Seeing how indoor space is at a premium, I assume it will stay in the yard like most recent acquisitions.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Mgoldman

I was told it was very likely not operable - the insides being a liability due to possible contaminates - though, not 100% sure. If so, it would be a shame as it would be nice to be able to see it in operation in the future.

Been there, done that - live and learn with the GG1, though even an operable GG1 at this point would not be operable on the NEC due to a change in the electric system.

As for placement - you're likely correct - for now, where else could they put it? It'll likely sit outside with the E-60 and one of the GG1's (which was once indoors with the other).

However - in the future, a lot of the equipment will be moved to a new roundhouse making room for more equipment inside.

It would be nice to see a NEW building, not the roundhouse, but another more modern building house the more modern equipment. The Amtrak stuff.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
J

Default More AEM7's Going

Here is a Baltimore Sun article stating that Amtrak has advised MARC they will stop maintaining MARC's electric fleet of 4 AEM7's and 6 HHP8000's. Amtrak's 15 HHP 8000s were all retired by November 2014 although similar locomotives powering the ACELA train sets remain in service. Amtrak has also retired all their unrebuilt AEM7's and is now setting aside those overhauled with AC components.

MARC plans to retire their electric locomotives and replace them with more Wabtec Diesels. In recent years MARC has used their AEM7's in pairs, presumably to reduce stress and handle longer trains. For several weeks this year MARC also used an Amtrak AEM7.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...807-story.html
Old 08-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
JRMDC

I drove past Friday night, it is sitting outside, easily visible from the main road. Didn't have time to stop for a shot - not much of a shot anyway. Might be able to get a glint this time of year, was unable to come back and give that a go.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #6
Mgoldman

I believe I heard somewhere that the Illinois Railway Museum was most interested in attaining an AEM-7 survivor as well!

An E-33 is en route.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
J

Sending one to Illinois would be great since they keep many locomotives in operable condition.
Several AEM7's remain in service - I saw 3 or 4 at Ivy City / DC this morning with their pans up.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
jnohallman

My train from Philly to DC just this past Sunday was pulled by a Toaster, so they are definitely still hanging on.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
J

Default Current Status

At least 3 AEM7's remain in service. 946 pushed my MARC train this morning; I saws 917 handling a northward MARC Train and 942 was located at Ivy City with its pantograph up. MARC continues to use its HHP8000's but its own AEM7's which had been stored at Ivy City for several months have disappeared.