Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Heymon

Default A note of appreciation

I am not a frequent poster or photo contributor, but I do enjoy rail photography and come to this site every day to admire the latest photos and read the posts here. I truly do use the images, feedback, and pointers offered here to improve not just my rail photos, but all of my photography.

I would thus like to add my name to the long list of those who have found this site useful and informative, and offer a personal note of appreciation to the screeners, site admins, and forum participants. Your advice and feedback have helped me improve to the point that a recent photo of mine was just selected for the cover of the 2011 Union Pacific calendar:

Image © Andre Beverly
PhotoID: 305833
Photograph © Andre Beverly

I thought the shot was pretty good when I took it, but I sure didn't realize where it would lead! There is no doubt in my mind that this proud moment would not have occurred were it not for the existence of this site and the knowledge shared here. Particularly useful for this shot was a thread Chase55671 posted on night shots.

In my opinion, I must say that having the bar set relatively high here really helps a person get better in their photography (if they are willing to learn from mistakes and honest criticism) and it gives one a sense of accomplishment when the goal of getting a photo accepted is met. I probably learn more from the rejections than just about anything else, but the forum and the outstanding photos here are like a free online photography course.

I am continuing to improve my skills (I still have plenty to learn) but I at least wanted to relay my gratitude and share a positive perspective of what this site is about. I know that those of you who offer advice or screen must sometimes wonder if the hassle of dealing with some of the tedious aspects is worth it, so I want to give you some first hand testimony that your efforts are valued--and I am sure I am not alone. Thank you.

Andre

PS I should also say that getting paid for a photo goes a long way toward validating this hobby with the wife (whom I dragged with me out into the dark desert--along with our son--to get that photo). Maybe the wife will now see that the hassle is worth it too...
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Congrats! Your dragging your wife thing made me chuckle. I've only been out once this year and mentioned going out the other day, and my wife said that I run around too much.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Very nice! Well done.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

It's really nice to see encouraging feedback with Railpictures. I agree with your statements. There is no doubt that this site has helped me to become a better photographer. It seems very few people acknowledge the positive effects of Railpictures and I respect you for being able to recognize this site is not only enjoyable, but educational and informative for a photographer and railfan.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymon View Post
I would thus like to add my name to the long list of those who have found this site useful and informative, and offer a personal note of appreciation to the screeners, site admins, and forum participants. Your advice and feedback have helped me improve to the point that a recent photo of mine was just selected for the cover of the 2011 Union Pacific calendar:

Image © Andre Beverly
PhotoID: 305833
Photograph © Andre Beverly

Congrats, man! Keep up the great work. That shot is fantastic, and I can see why they chose it.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I see they are using it on their main page. www.up.com
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

I really like the shot. It definitely deserves this honor. Good work.

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #8
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

Ironicly, while railfanning the BNSF, a UP employee comes up to me and gives me a copy of the calender, and I immediatly recognized thr shot. I love it!
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
Heymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
I see they are using it on their main page. www.up.com
Thanks for pointing that out Travis, I'm really pleased with the traction that photo is getting and am appreciative of everyone's kind words. Like I said, it would not have happened without this site!

Andre
Heymon is offline   Reply With Quote