Old 09-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
williams

Question help with pictures

Hello, Im new here. I tried to put a picture of a train (Dakota and Iowa), but it says its too big. Can somebody help me?
williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
JRMDC

a) if it said too large a file, then your file was bigger than 1MB - make it smaller
b) it may be that a file is too big because you forgot to reduce the pixel dimensions
c) some guidelines are here, although not completely thorough (for example, it doesn't mention the 1MB limit!)
http://www.railpictures.net/addphotos/guidelines.php

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Ween

Here's more info:

Want to show your photos to the world? Add them to the world's most popular, highest quality rail photo database! We simply ask that you follow these guidelines:

1. Please only upload photos that you have taken, or that you have the legal right to display (such as those passed down from a family member, those where you have legal possession of the original, etc.). We take copyright violations very seriously!

2. The photos must depict railroad-related material.

3. The photos must be in JPEG (with the extension .jpg) format.

4. Image file size must not exceed 1 megabyte (1024kb), and the filename should contain only the characters A-Z and 0-9. Other non-standard ASCII characters, such as parenthesis, the # symbol, etc. are incompatible with our filesystem.

5. Our system is optimized for photos to be uploaded at 1024 pixels wide (landscape format) and 800 to 1000 pixels high (portrait format) @ 72 DPI. Our minimum photo size is 800 pixels in width or 600 pixels in height, whichever is greater.

6. Save your photos with as little JPEG compression as possible while still keeping the size under 1mb. Don't worry about the large filesize -- your photo will be slightly compressed and reduced in filesize automatically when you upload!

7. Do not submitted uncorrected or unmodified versions of previously rejected photos. If you are submitting a previously rejected photos with corrections made, please be sure to post a note to the screeners using the "Comments to Screeners" field below letting us know what you've done to improve the image.

8. The only HTML tags allowed in the 'Remarks' field are bold and italics. HTML links to outside websites, page breaks, etc. are not allowed!

9. Read These:

Detailed Photo Submission Guidelines

Please make sure, prior to attempting to upload photos, that you have both cookies and javascript enabled on your internet browser.

Shortly after your photos are reviewed, you will receive an e-mail notifying you of the status of your photos.

Questions about uploading photos, editing, or the screening process? Please visit our Railroad Photography Forum!

Once you have filled out the required information below, and pressed the 'Send Photo!' button, it will take from several seconds to several minutes for your upload to complete. The length of this wait is largely dependent on the speed of your internet connection. Please be patient!
Old 09-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
JRMDC

Ah, of course - haven't uploaded in a while so I forgot about that section on the upload page.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #5
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Ah, of course - haven't uploaded in a while so I forgot about that section on the upload page.
Yeah, do you even take pictures anymore???
Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
Yeah, do you even take pictures anymore???
Big wave (for me) coming this month, a few CalTrain, a few Metra, a few scanned slides,a few of this and that.

Not that anyone is really pining for them, but they are on their way.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Big wave (for me) coming this month, a few CalTrain, a few Metra, a few scanned slides,a few of this and that.

Not that anyone is really pining for them, but they are on their way.
Ok, but how do I reduce the pixel size. what program do I use?
williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams View Post
Ok, but how do I reduce the pixel size. what program do I use?
Is the photo you are trying to upload straight out of the camera? You NEED to do some post processing on everything you upload here at RP. The minimum and obvious is resizing...taking your +/-3008x2000 pixel original, and resizing it to the RP standard which has been posted in previous posts in this thread. The max sizes for RP are 1024x768 for a landscape crop, and 750x1000 for a portrait crop. Understand, the above is done after you crop all of the extra 'junk' out of your photo that you don't really want/need in it, and can vary slightly. Those are just the max sizes

You probably had some sort of software that came with your camera that can do the basics (resizing included). If you need editing software, there are a handful of excellent freebies that you can download that are probably better than what came with your camera if it did. Do a search in the RP forums for 'free editing software', and you should come up with a few past threads regarding that topic, and people's opinions on each download. There are numerous 'for purchase' editors if you want to go that route, and you should also find those by running a search in the forum's old threads.