Old 02-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Ben Kopicz
Banned
 
Ben Kopicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default Ns 3329

Why is NS 3329 painted in the Wierd Blue color. Why isnt it like the normal NS Black or CR Blue (or that ONE engine that is green)?
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #2
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern
Why is NS 3329 painted in the Wierd Blue color. Why isnt it like the normal NS Black or CR Blue (or that ONE engine that is green)?
It's a special paint job done in honor of their big customer Maersk, who ships containers across the oceans worldwide.

The one green engine is painted in Southern Railway colors, can't remember if it was the regular colors or something special. I saw it once, zoomed by mid-consist and then got buried in a yard.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 02-15-2008 at 12:17 AM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
PLEzero
Senior Member
 
PLEzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
Posts: 675
Default

It was painted for the dedication ceremony of the then new Maersk Pier 400 facility in the Port of Los Angeles. Before being painted in the special scheme it was a blue helper unit between Altoona and Johnstown,PA. Since being sent out west it has had various assignments. It is currently working out of Conway Yard in Pittsburgh,PA and I see it from time to time working locals around the city.

BNSF also painted an SDP40F for the event. That unit was purchased by the 4449 group in Portland, Oregon. I believe it is currently being leased to a short line in that area.


Image © Tom Habak
PhotoID: 217048
Photograph © Tom Habak

Image © Chris Fussell
PhotoID: 45861
Photograph © Chris Fussell
__________________
Brad Morocco
Candyland, PA
My Flickr Photos
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
alstom
Banned
 
alstom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Firestone Park, OH
Posts: 379
Default

Welcome to the forum norfolksouthern,

NS 3329 is painted in honor of Norfolk Southern's bigtime intermodal customer - Maersk Sealand, which handles inport/export shipments of different parcels and equipment across the sea to different countries in Europe and Asia. NS takes great pride in working with such a nationwide company as Maersk, and in their honor, dedicated one unit to them. It is also the lowest number former Conrail SD40-2 in the 3300 number series. 3320-3328 are SD40-2 high noses assigned out of Bellevue, OH. Most of the 3300-3319 series are scrapped/retired.

NS 4610 is painted in the Southern Railway's green/white/gold scheme. Southern was one of two major railroad companies that merged together to form Norfolk Southern in 1982. It is basically a Heritage unit, so to speak. NS is proud of their heritage, and dedicated a unit to Southern Railway. NS 34, a chop shop test unit, is painted in a scheme reminiscent of that of the Norfolk & Western Railway - the other company that merged to form NS in 1982.

NS has retired/repaint/rebuilt many of their other colorful or unusual locomotives. I forget what number it was, but they for a while, had an EMD Switcher titled 'The River St Rambler' that was painted in just about every color of the rainbow. It was either repainted or retired, as to my knowledge. NS 4270, 4271, 4275 and 4276 - the infamous NS F-Units are in a scheme similar to one used on the Southern Railway.

Other special units on NS include 4611 - which is the 'Transcaer' unit - still don't exactly know what that is all about. NS GE Dash 9 units 9250-9256 are in Operation Lifesaver paint and have a '25 Years of Safety and Service' herald on the long hood.

Last edited by alstom; 02-15-2008 at 01:33 AM.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
Joe the Photog
A dude with a camera
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,928
Default

Don't forget the 20 or more GP59s in a Operation: Lifesaver scheme. As for the 4610, it came into Columbia last Wed. and left back out on 191/192. I've never seen the 3329. Maybe one day.


Joe
__________________
Joseph C. Hinson Photography
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Ben Kopicz
Banned
 
Ben Kopicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
Don't forget the 20 or more GP59s in a Operation: Lifesaver scheme. As for the 4610, it came into Columbia last Wed. and left back out on 191/192. I've never seen the 3329. Maybe one day.


Joe
I know this is off topic, but i love your quote
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
Ben Kopicz
Banned
 
Ben Kopicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstom
Welcome to the forum norfolksouthern,

NS 3329 is painted in honor of Norfolk Southern's bigtime intermodal customer - Maersk Sealand, which handles inport/export shipments of different parcels and equipment across the sea to different countries in Europe and Asia. NS takes great pride in working with such a nationwide company as Maersk, and in their honor, dedicated one unit to them. It is also the lowest number former Conrail SD40-2 in the 3300 number series. 3320-3328 are SD40-2 high noses assigned out of Bellevue, OH. Most of the 3300-3319 series are scrapped/retired.

NS 4610 is painted in the Southern Railway's green/white/gold scheme. Southern was one of two major railroad companies that merged together to form Norfolk Southern in 1982. It is basically a Heritage unit, so to speak. NS is proud of their heritage, and dedicated a unit to Southern Railway. NS 34, a chop shop test unit, is painted in a scheme reminiscent of that of the Norfolk & Western Railway - the other company that merged to form NS in 1982.

NS has retired/repaint/rebuilt many of their other colorful or unusual locomotives. I forget what number it was, but they for a while, had an EMD Switcher titled 'The River St Rambler' that was painted in just about every color of the rainbow. It was either repainted or retired, as to my knowledge. NS 4270, 4271, 4275 and 4276 - the infamous NS F-Units are in a scheme similar to one used on the Southern Railway.

Other special units on NS include 4611 - which is the 'Transcaer' unit - still don't exactly know what that is all about. NS GE Dash 9 units 9250-9256 are in Operation Lifesaver paint and have a '25 Years of Safety and Service' herald on the long hood.
The River Street Rambler: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...115383&nseq=14

Found this pic
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Ben Kopicz
Banned
 
Ben Kopicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default

Sighs, i am going to miss seeing that train... They repainted it in the horsehead paint. I dont know if any of the railroad companies read these, but BRING BACK THE MAERSK BLUE!!!
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
JRMDC
Senior Member
 
JRMDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Kopicz
Sighs, i am going to miss seeing that train... They repainted it in the horsehead paint. I dont know if any of the railroad companies read these, but BRING BACK THE MAERSK BLUE!!!
I missed seeing it and I had wanted to, but one has to admit, that paint job was terrible, peeling and fading. It really looked awful after a while in pictures and so was a poor representation of Maersk. I'm surprised they didn't ask for it to be repainted years ago. But they probably never saw it after its first day presentation.
__________________
My RP pix are here.
My Flickr pix are here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Ben Kopicz
Banned
 
Ben Kopicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 108
Send a message via AIM to Ben Kopicz Send a message via MSN to Ben Kopicz Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Kopicz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I missed seeing it and I had wanted to, but one has to admit, that paint job was terrible, peeling and fading. It really looked awful after a while in pictures and so was a poor representation of Maersk. I'm surprised they didn't ask for it to be repainted years ago. But they probably never saw it after its first day presentation.
Ya but, it was different. I like the different engines that are not seen as often. I was extreamly lucky and saw 4610 the other week when i was on vacation. It was going at least 60 miles/hour though and i could not snap it soon enough. I really think that they should repaint a new one.
Ben Kopicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.