Old 08-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes
Default LightRoom

Well the name pretty much says it all... Do you consider it a useful tool? Just installed it today and I am very pleased with the results!

Here's the before:

And here's the after ( I am a total newbie to this tool, so nothing too elaborate was performed ):

What do you think? Nevermind the bus, there weren't any train pictures on the memory stick
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:03 AM   #2
JRMDC

I don't see anything in the before/after comparison that is unique to Lightroom. Glad you are happy with it, but I don't understand the question.

My sense is that Lightroom has more tools for handling high-volume photography - lots and lots of shots taken - at the expense of not having every single one of the zillions of things that Photoshop does. So a high-volume pro can load up a batch, sort through them, do some corrections in batch mode, and take the ones that need special treatment to PS.

If that fits your workflow, I would presume it is a good product for you. I am not aware of any photo processing feature that is unique to it, however.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
River Rails Photography
Banned

Send a message via AIM to River Rails Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Nunes
Nevermind the bus, there weren't any train pictures on the memory stick
Deeargh, you trouble maker

I was able to get pretty much the same results in iPhoto's quick auto enhance:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1291662502.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	3254  
River Rails Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Rui Nunes

Send a message via MSN to Rui Nunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
I don't see anything in the before/after comparison that is unique to Lightroom. Glad you are happy with it, but I don't understand the question.
Since it was the first time I was using it ( having no experience at all with it ) the result seemed good. That was all

Quote:
My sense is that Lightroom has more tools for handling high-volume photography - lots and lots of shots taken - at the expense of not having every single one of the zillions of things that Photoshop does. So a high-volume pro can load up a batch, sort through them, do some corrections in batch mode, and take the ones that need special treatment to PS.

If that fits your workflow, I would presume it is a good product for you. I am not aware of any photo processing feature that is unique to it, however.
Yes, that feature appealed to me. Do some minor editing on the ones that need it, or maybe on all of them and then migrate to PS for resizing, cropping, etc
- It doesn't make sense to speak seriously to someone who is joking. On the other hand, if you were joking I wouldn't take you seriously. It's a complicated situation, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rui_gv_nunes/
Rui Nunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rui Nunes
Since it was the first time I was using it ( having no experience at all with it ) the result seemed good. That was all

Yes, that feature appealed to me. Do some minor editing on the ones that need it, or maybe on all of them and then migrate to PS for resizing, cropping, etc
I use Lightroom for all of my shots, its a great tool. I also use CS3 if I overexpose a shot just for the gamma reduction tool. I use Elements as well for the sharpening tool to finish my processing. I find Lightroom to be a pretty easy tool to use.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:23 AM   #6
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
I use Lightroom for all of my shots, its a great tool. I also use CS3 if I overexpose a shot just for the gamma reduction tool. I use Elements as well for the sharpening tool to finish my processing. I find Lightroom to be a pretty easy tool to use.
Why so many tools? Do you shoot as a pro in addition to train shots?

Why do you prefer the Elements sharpening to what I presume would be an identical tool, and then more features, in CS3?

Or maybe they piled up over time and there was no reason to ditch any of them?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-20-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain
BTW, it has occurred to me that, should I ever upgrade my camera, that instead of upgrading my PSE3 I should get Lightroom and keep PSE3 for any additional adjustments. (I would have to otherwise upgrade PSE3 to a more recent PSE to handle the raw file of whatever camera I changed to.) Is that a reasonable approach?

It would be cool to have both, but I really don't want to spend the money on Lightroom and on a PSE3 replacement.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 AM   #8
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

Quote:
Why so many tools? Do you shoot as a pro in addition to train shots?

Why do you prefer the Elements sharpening to what I presume would be an identical tool, and then more features, in CS3?

Or maybe they piled up over time and there was no reason to ditch any of them?
You hit the nail on the head with the third one. Just was searching for a good photo editor and just ended up keeping them all. I do a lot of shooting in addition to trains nothing professional really. Just cars, animals, and food we have cooked in class.

Quote:
BTW, it has occurred to me that, should I ever upgrade my camera, that instead of upgrading my PSE3 I should get Lightroom and keep PSE3 for any additional adjustments. (I would have to otherwise upgrade PSE3 to a more recent PSE to handle the raw file of whatever camera I changed to.) Is that a reasonable approach?
I dont shoot in raw believe it or not. I might start sometime, just never found it convenient. But I would say it would be a good approach. I like the selective sharpening in regular PS, I kinda wish Lightroom had it.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote