Old 04-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Truemac

Default BNSF's Hannibal Sub - activity?

Hello, everyone.

I live in North County, St. Louis, and I discovered a rail line that is located about 10 minutes from my house. A little research told me that this is part of BNSF's Hannibal Sub. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner, so I have no idea when a train is coming. I've heard train horns multiple times during the day, but I have no way of knowing if there is one nearby whenever I get a chance to go up there. I was wondering if anyone here knew what, if any, where the "busy times" for this subdivision? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron.
Truemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
stlgevo51

The Hannibal Sub can be a railfan's best friend and a railfan's worst friend. Sometimes, 25-35 trains per day run on the line, and many meets are lined up on the sidings, making it a great line. On some days however, traffic may dwindle down to 15-20. I would say that traffic has been increasing, and apparently in March the line hosted a record 47 trains!

I suggest heading up Rt. 79 from I-70. From Old Monroe to Hannibal, the tracks are in sight most of the way. Pacing and chasing opportunities are unlimited. Plus, the line can be very scenic, making for great photos.

Image © Jake B.
PhotoID: 300097
Photograph © Jake B.

Image © stlgevo51
PhotoID: 296889
Photograph © stlgevo51
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote